What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
spotted elsewhere, and i think appropriate in light of our debandez, et als efforts...

doc-jpg.30409

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Happy birthday, @dogslife. Hope you had a wonderful day celebrating.
Thank you ziggy_w.:) Had a quiet lunch out with my husband, lots of lovely birthday cards / messages and a visit to mum's to blow candles out on my birthday cake. ( A family tradition ).

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We absolutely love Indian food. I am personally not interested in “the hotter the better” though some of my boys are. I love the aromatic aromaand taste. I cook usuallyy from Atul Kucher’sbook Simple Indian (I think he was the first Indian chef in UK to get a Michelin star) but I also like to tweak the spices to taste. If your SIL is South Indian I imagine its aromatic with a lot of coconut milk like Sri Lanka. Lucky you if he cooks for you.

I do like heat in my dishes but not just heat, I want to taste other spices as well. I have a shelf of Indian cookbooks in my bookcase. My son-in-law was so surprised when he first took my daughter out to dinner as she was very familiar with Indian foods as I've been cooking Indian since the 80s.

My son-in-law does cook for us occasionally. He's an only child (unusual for India) and his late mom was ill much of the time so he learned to cook quite young. Yes, south Indian food is close to Sri Lankan cooking - lots of coconut (both milk and shredded), rice (I skip that) and curry leaves. The 5 southern states share some food in common although there are differences between them as they are 4 different ethnic groups with 4 different languages (the state he's from Andhra Pradesh has the hottest food). We have a lot of Tamil Sri Lankans in my part of Toronto and I have some Sri Lankan Tamil neighbours as well Tamils from Tamil Nadu, India (apparently the dialect is different, they don't always understand each other). My son-in-law lived and worked in Chennai (Madras) for 2 years and picked up a some oral Tamil but he's lost it because he doesn't use it much here. His speaks Telugu and Urdu (the 2 official languages of his state), as well as Hindi and English, the 2 national languages (he went to an English language school since he was 6 so his English is excellent). I've picked up a little bit of Hindi to use in Indian grocery stores when asking for ingredients (which is very close to Urdu in its oral form) but I find Telugu incredibly difficult to pronounce.

Reactions: Prem51

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
If you could see the "big hill" I walked down yesterday you would laugh out loud.
This is what I was picturing originally for our downhill adventure:

images

For the sugar fix have you tried non-pastry sugar snacks? I'm T2 dx'd only last spring and I find that something like candy doesn't spike me like a cookie or pastry. But I also don't have lows I need to treat, and I've also learned that no two food tests are ever the same.

Or what about a few ounces of orange juice or other fruit juice? I'm not qualified to advise, just saying what has made me feel better quickly, and may not affect the weight as much as pastry would.

Just a thought ...
Morning @SaskiaKC that's more like it, a little gentler. I woke at 4.30am, tested and yep, another hypo 3.4 so a fruit pastille was eaten. Yesterday was the first and last time I'll treat a hypo with stollen, none left now!!! Everything breaks down to glucose and it all makes for a fat belly. Heyho, 30mins later 5.2 and I was thinking I might see if I can get some more snuzz!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SueJB You're awake! :) Good morning.

I'm with you though -- time for a catnap. I've been sleepy all day and now it's definitely bedtime.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hello there. Felt unwell this afternoon whilst out so tested my blood a short while ago and my meter said 14.1 and displayed a small k symbol. I looked it up and it said to check keytones. Anybody tell me how I do this please? Thank you .
@dogslife I've got special ketone strips but I'm not sure if you can get them over the counter. I imagine they're expensive as the box they come in is big and there are only 10 inside.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB You're awake! :) Good morning.

I'm with you though -- time for a catnap. I've been sleepy all day and now it's definitely bedtime.
Now the BG is now non-life threatening, I feel OK to go back to bed. Hope you sleep well and stay warm. I imagine it's cold there

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@dogslife I've got special ketone strips but I'm not sure if you can get them over the counter. I imagine they're expensive as the box they come in is big and there are only 10 inside.
Thank you SueJB.:)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good morning all. 8.0 for me at 6.20 am. Only a cheese omelette for evening meal and no supper but did have a small slice of my carrot/ birthday cake yesterday as my bs had dropped low. They were up/down like a yoyo all day! Not been feeling well for a few days so may try and get an appointment at the doctor's this morning. Have a good week everyone. :)