What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah I can see that’s a useful feature. I’ve read @bluetit ‘s thread now, thanks for pointing me in that direction. I am amazed at the amount of variation between labs using different analysers as well as contradictions between finger pricks and HbA1c. Very interesting and definitely food for thought.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah I can see that’s a useful feature. I’ve read @bluetit ‘s thread now, thanks for pointing me in that direction. I am amazed at the amount of variation between labs using different analysers as well as contradictions between finger pricks and HbA1c. Very interesting and definitely food for thought.

For me it increases the importance of doing your own testing as changes / trends can be more easily be spotted.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it increases the importance of doing your own testing as changes / trends can be more easily be spotted.

Yes you’re right. I’m having one of those strange upward trends at the moment which seems to happen every couple of months. Never seems much rhyme or reason to it so just got to stick it out and assume it’ll get back to normal soon. Hope so as MySugr has gone up 0.5 in a week.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I fit in the wigwam and children are cute so lighten the thread at that stage

The pic reminded me of my friend and his kids and the leaf fort they built in the woods near where we all lived in the mountains one winter. :)

Only they had 2 cats. ^. .^. .^

BloodThirsty

I think a lot of people are moving away from codefree because of it’s inconsistency. I’ll stick with it for now and accept the nice low figures, and take no notice of the high ones!!!!
I ran a tub of strips through a Codefree in the interest of frugality, but found it measured both high and inconsistent compared to other meters I had.

Because I tend to be obsessive about such things I spent a lot of time researching and trying different machines.

The two I finally settled on were:
Accu-chek Aviva Expert, but unfortunately it is not on general sale and is only prescribed to T1Ds after a training course. You can, however, buy it on eBay for between £80 and £120 and I recommend it on an accuracy basis but not on a value one.

GlucoRx HCT. I have droned on before about thIs meter which measures glucose, ketones and HCT. It is unbelievably good value and can be purchased new and sealed for around £8 if you Google it.

Now for the best bit: These two machines are absolutely indistinguishable in terms of accuracy and consistency.
The test strips are dearer than the Codefree, but there seems little point in using cheaper strips that are randomly wide of the mark. Maybe better to pay more for a relatively true analysis of blood glucose rather than stab your finger for a guesstimate.

Apologies for pontificating.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great idea! At the moment we seem to spend our time fighting against the establishment but crossing fingers that we can have another Birmingham type of event later this year where we can join forces. We can get the PR team on board to get the publicity needed to spread the word on how this woe just works!! It's not even rocket science and mystified me why it isn't standard advice given out! Better together for sure .

At the grocery store today I showed my pharmacist a 6-pack of Glucerna shakes, which they sell right at the pharmacy counter (and which is advertised on TV a LOT as a healthful snack/meal substitute for diabetics), and a 4-pack of Atkins shakes, which I buy when I need a chocolatey snack, and costs half of what the Glucerna shakes cost, and has fewer carbs, less sugar, and more protein but is never advertised on TV. And the Atkins shakes are sold in the regular grocery section of the store, not the pharmacy.

I asked the pharmacist and the pharmacy tech which one they would recommend, and after reading the nutrition info tables they both recommended the Atkins shakes, not the Glucerna.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s the Tee2. Ordered strips by phone and got the meter thrown in for free (read about someone else - @xfieldok ? - doing the same so gave it a try). It’s a bit more fiddly to use than the Codefree (despite being bigger) but has Bluetooth so readings automatically sync to an app on my phone.
It was the caresens I got for free. I ordered by phone and ordered 200 strips and a tub of ketone strips. They threw in the meter for free.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ran a tub of strips through a Codefree in the interest of frugality, but found it measured both high and inconsistent compared to other meters I had.

Because I tend to be obsessive about such things I spent a lot of time researching and trying different machines.

The two I finally settled on were:
Accu-chek Aviva Expert, but unfortunately it is not on general sale and is only prescribed to T1Ds after a training course. You can, however, buy it on eBay for between £80 and £120 and I recommend it on an accuracy basis but not on a value one.

GlucoRx HCT. I have droned on before about thIs meter which measures glucose, ketones and HCT. It is unbelievably good value and can be purchased new and sealed for around £8 if you Google it.

Now for the best bit: These two machines are absolutely indistinguishable in terms of accuracy and consistency.
The test strips are dearer than the Codefree, but there seems little point in using cheaper strips that are randomly wide of the mark. Maybe better to pay more for a relatively true analysis of blood glucose rather than stab your finger for a guesstimate.

Apologies for pontificating.

Thank you for your very informative reply. It’s definitely something I’m going to consider fairly soon I think, so it’s good to have the benefit of your research and experience.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunately, Mrs PSpurs is highly allergic to cats so never an issue in Ptowers and of course I wouldn't hold it against you. Original ache/tear healed but bit like whack a mole now having altered all movements new problems emerge daily

:angelic:
So many cats, so few recipes.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bubbsie, does your Doctor not do telephone consultations?
I had a telephone consultation with him...we agreed I would monitor my blood pressure for a week...I did that & gave the readings to him...it was getting the results that was the problem...i.e. do I need to see him?...just couldn't get a straight answer...frustrating to say the least.

Reactions: Cumberland

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
First post here... Only just diagnosed with diabetes and still don't know whether type 1 or 2 - will find out on Monday. Yesterday waking level was 14.6, today 13.9. Just started metformin so hoping this will help...

Not overweight - BMI of 20. Only 26 years old. Scared and totally overwhelmed...

Hi

It is scary but you have joined a very good forum and this particular thread I hope will be of benefit to you.

Your age and BMI would probably suggest nine times out of ten that you will have diagnosis of T1

There are lots of good folk who post on here you I’m sure will fit in just fine

Stick with us

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JohnEGreen and @alf_Josiah sorry to hear about the cramps. Must be horrible. I remember during a growth spurt as a child used to get cramped legs at night and would call out “Mum my legs are locked”! Its no joke when you are a grown up.

Hi all .

An old post, BUT...

I just spotted THIS re football/athletes...LINK

read on as to why it works...interesting enough for more investigations from those suffering ?

It tastes bad... but does it actually work?
In a word: Yes.

Dr Mayur Ranchordas - a senior lecturer in sport nutrition and exercise metabolism at Sheffield Hallam University - has used the technique with professional cyclists and Premier League footballers.

And while, he says, the results are compelling, it is not necessarily for the reasons you might initially expect.

i'm starting to suffer more regular, real painful cramps (foot) and may investigate a purchase for experimental purposes, myself.

( Also beginning to wonder since i cut down, the only salt in my diet is what is naturally in the original REAL FOOD, and the tiny amounts i add naturally OR via any oils to cook in..so i might have to try adding some salt...clearly a work in progress to ease/resolve the situation for me.)

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I refer to the receptions at my GP surgeries as bouncers!

They can be so rude, even the GP's complain about them!

I was recently the subject of an internal investigation at the GP surgery as one of the receptionists told me I couldn't have any testing strips despite being on insulin and also my diabetes consultant sending through requests for strips to be issued immediately. Basically one of the GP's or nurses had overheard what had been said to me and escalated it.

The GP said the receptionist had to be let go as it was treated as a serious incident..... I felt bad for the guy but the receptionists need to realise they are not the doctors!
It beggars believe

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...this woe just works!! It's not even rocket science and mystified me why it isn't standard advice given out! Better together for sure .

SPOT ON.

Not sure who said it, but it went,

" we are FULL of sugar, and need to remove as much as possible,"

So HOW can the solution be to add MORE sugar to the Diabetic FIRE....:banghead:...

At the very least we SHOULD be offering alternatives to the traditional "Eat the same.. only less of it "
when simple facts show the majority following that advice (diabetics) are struggling with the ravages of the disease.

From what i have gathered in my short time here, there really is not another option, and of the two..Traditional Or LCHF,...it's clearly LCHF for me

I personally feel as normal as i ever have since diagnosis, as per many others, healthier, fitter, blah, blah..you all KNOW the benefits.:D

Almost shameful, if not criminal, that the powers that be have NOT*, as far as i am aware, properly trialled the benefits and potential pitfalls of the this WOE, in a regulated environment.

(* yes i am aware of all the reasons WHY..;) )

Last edited:

BloodThirsty

Hi all .

An old post, BUT...

I just spotted THIS re football/athletes...LINK

read on as to why it works...interesting enough for more investigations from those suffering ?

i'm starting to suffer more regular, real painful cramps (foot) and may investigate a purchase for experimental purposes, myself.

( Also beginning to wonder since i cut down, the only salt in my diet is what is naturally in the original REAL FOOD, and the tiny amounts i add naturally OR via any oils to cook in..so i might have to try adding some salt...clearly a work in progress to ease/resolve the situation for me.)
...and also magnesium.