1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by NewdestinyX, Jun 30, 2011.

1. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take Warfarin (indefinitely) Jim...every time I change medication whether stopping or starting it my INR levels change dramatically...it happened with the BP meds...when I ditched the 2nd dose of Metformin...so I'm waiting for them to be stable for at least three consecutive appointments...going to the anti coagulant clinic weekly atm...once I get those appointments extended the last Metformin will go.

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  2. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Will you be having your pupils dilated? I hate that. Totally messes up my focussing and is extremely painful when you go outside.

Coincidentally I’m at the opticians later today for a regular yearly exam. Best of luck to us both!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. HarryBeau

No...don't want snow here...yellow or otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks . Its just a fancy photo but it will show if the life style I've been leading for the last year has been OK. I'm quietly confident...

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. OrsonKartt

The drops do that. Last year I cycled as driving isn't a good idea. This morning I find myself with a puncture so I'm walking... a few more steps in my day won't hurt..

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I always get to wear dark glasses, a hoodie and have a driver (Mrs Miggins) pick me up. Sort of, rock star for the wrong reasons experience.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Jim Lahey

Perhaps you tolerate it better than I do. I am a bit of a wimp though. I can barely walk outside without a full-face welding mask after having my pupils dilated, never mind ride a bike. It’s a stunningly clear sunny today in my hunting grounds...thankfully it’s just a regular opticians appointment so there should be no reason for any drops...assuming all is well, of course.

It’s the very same optician who picked up my retinopathy almost exactly two years ago, leading to my diagnosis. My goodness what a journey it’s been since then! :hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. OrsonKartt

Ok I will take sunglasses then :) it is lovely and bright here on the east coast - A mite nippy mind...

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Roulis

Roulis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning all. 5.9 for me first thing (well, after couple of sips from a cup of tea..) I had 1 pint of my favored bitter at lunch time yesterday! I haven't had a beer since my diagnoses back in October 2018. I went to my local club to renew my subscription, had a chat with some of the locals, and thought to my self.. Lets try one! Marstons Bitter is/was my favorite drink. I used to be a regular consumer of the stuff (since diagnosed, I have only been drinking small amounts of wine and the occasional class of whisky). So, I tested my self prior to the beer, measured at 5.5. 1 hour after the beer, tested again, 6.8, 2 hours after the beer I was back to to early 5s. I think a pint or 2 every blue moon so to speak wouldn't do any harm.. If anything.. I thoroughly enjoyed every sip of it! You all have a good day!

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

7.0 at 11:45. Going the wrong direction for me

• Hug Hug x 10
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

A good idea I always take sunglasses when having eyes tested. Mind you being somewhat photo sensitive I tend to wear shades on even dull days get some funny looks.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i'll just leave this here LINK...;)

A puncture on a car...inconvenient, but just swap wheels and your good to go, in minutes
    on a bike..your dead in the water, unless you got skills or are happy to await the AA.

Used for many years...not had issue since...:)

oh, and for my first diabetic eye test one...i was expecting worse,
    but with sunnies on...i felt great :D...a tad blurry, but that passed after a while..(did sting mind :bigtears:)

• Like Like x 6
  13. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Probably caused by people being ****ed off:angelic:

• Funny Funny x 8
  14. Jim Lahey

That is awesome but I’m going to be the party pooper and suggest that you be very careful how you interpret that data. Been there dozens of times with various other examples of stuff I thought I was now able to do in moderation. Once in a blue moon is fine until it starts creeping up and before can say “diabetes” you’re back where you started. That has been my experience at least. You seem like you have your head screwed on...just a cautionary tale :)

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Useful x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. Emma_369

Emma_369 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hope you get the leak sorted once and for all!

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have something similar in my motorcycle tyres. It can really mess up your rims but I have spokes on both my bikes so it’s inside the inner tubes.
    Bonus - lots of mess and fun with the grandkids when changing the tyres.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Ziggy2017

Ziggy2017 Type 3 · Well-Known Member

Morning all 4.9 today

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 5
  18. rhubarb73

rhubarb73 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

5.9 this morning - which is an OK way to start the week. Had a lovely weekend celebrating Mrs R's birthday. Lots of lovely grub, and some wine too. But the fun is over and back to work. Hey ho - another week commences

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 8
  19. OrsonKartt

Puncture on the bike, I'll get round to fixing it when my eyes regain focus and I loose this " just got out of a spaceship" feeling...

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. HarryBeau

I am absolutely dismayed...some of you will be aware of the issues I had with my surgery this week trying to ascertain whether I need to see my GP for my rising blood pressure...I spoke with three members of staff who were less than helpful...all insisted my GP's letter had been sent on the 21st of Janaury...finally after I persevered I was emailed a copy of my GP's letter on Wednesday...this morning a full week after it was written the letter arrived...the envelope was post marked the 24th a full three days after the misleading information I was given (above)...I've emailed the practice manager asking for an explanation...can't wait to hear what she says.

• Hug Hug x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook