What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
they seem to be flying to Liverpool for a night out. And why not. Flights costing the same as a taxi!
From what I hear of Dublin prices these days, they will save the cost of the flight with the cheaper price of drinks in Liverpool.
Sounds like you enjoyed your break @Debandez! :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A rushed greeting, this Morening, Mrs J has the bit between her fangs and is grumbling about me getting orf my obese posterior and doing stuff like gardening!!!

A delicate 7.2 this morning.

For Sale
One firebreathing, violent, wife. Fitted with a kill at a glance chip ( well used ), is a good cook. Very good at tenderising tough meat. Has a clean driving license and drinks alcohol once in a blue moon.
Oh almost forgot tells very blue jokes.
Pm for details.
Give me £100,000 and I may consider it.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good morning all,
4.1 for me.

Weight loss this week was bigger than last week (I still have a ways to go),
it was 2.2 lbs (.99 kg),
giving a total loss so far of 91.19 lbs (41.3 kg or 6 stone 7.19)
I've now lost over 1/3 of my starting weight.

Weather here in Toronto is very windy and rainy. We still have a lot of snow so it will probably get quite sloppy as we're getting a thaw (followed by more snow next week). Some areas are going to be getting snow or worse freezing rain so we're lucky. All these freeze/thaw cycles are very hard on the roads and we have lots of potholes this year - the other day, 4 cars were badly damaged by a deep pothole on one of the expressways. Road crews are trying to keep up with filling them in but so far, Mother Nature is winning.
Excellent, keep up the good work.

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all,
4.1 for me.

it was 2.2 lbs (.99 kg),
I've now lost over 1/3 of my starting weight.

Weather here in Toronto is very windy and rainy. We still have a lot of snow so it will probably get quite sloppy as we're getting a thaw (followed by more snow next week). Some areas are going to be getting snow or worse freezing rain so we're lucky. All these freeze/thaw cycles are very hard on the roads and we have lots of potholes this year - the other day, 4 cars were badly damaged by a deep pothole on one of the expressways. Road crews are trying to keep up with filling them in but so far, Mother Nature is winning.
Well done chronicle cat

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All from sunny W Sussex. 6.2 today so the crashing waves from Hawai are further away than ever. Hope you all have a great Sunday.

Long before I had ever heard of FBGs, LCHF, or many other initialisms I once spent a wonderful day in W Sussex walking in the woods and, a la @Jim Lahey , sitting meditating on a stile.

Of course, I had to get up every time someone came along and wanted to use the stile ...

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,
4.1 for me.

it was 2.2 lbs (.99 kg),
I've now lost over 1/3 of my starting weight and 12 1/2" off my waist.

What a brilliant achievement, @Chronicle_Cat. Definitely a sign of lots of dedication. How much much more weight are you planning to lose? Btw, you already look absolutely wonderful in your avatar.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@AngiH ..CEASE & DESIST. :watching:
every body is RIGHT.

One does not rearrange the furniture when the house is on fire and people in danger..
One prioritises.....Get Better..:nurse:......THEN deal with other issues.

Get better soon.:)
Thank you, that makes perfect sense when you put it like that a few days and I'll be back on board.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a brilliant achievement, @Chronicle_Cat. Definitely a sign of lots of dedication. How much much more weight are you planning to lose? Btw, you already look absolutely wonderful in your avatar.

Ideally, I'd like to be at the top end of the normal BMI for my height (5'4") which would put me at 145 lbs which is 37 lbs more. If I can't manage that, the bottom end of the "overweight" range, 155 lbs. When I lose 8 more lbs, I will be out of "Obesity category 1" and into the overweight range. (I started at Obesity Category 3 - morbid obesity).

Thank you for the compliment. I was 194.2 lbs in that photo, about 12 lbs heavier than now. Exercise really helps make the weight loss more visible and the upper abdominals respond really well to it. I still have an overhang on my lower belly which is turning into a spare tire. I'm hoping that will go although I may be left with a flap of loose skin there (I do fast for autophagy as well as lower blood glucose and weight loss too.)

It's so much easier to move with this amount of weight lost - the weight went on gradually over many many years (a lifelong struggle since my teens, I will be 63 in a couple of weeks). Ironically the many "healthy" diets I tried (Weight Watchers at least 5 times for several years each time) and eating low fat probably aggravated my insulin resistance and led to even more weight gain.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Long before I had ever heard of FBGs, LCHF, or many other initialisms I once spent a wonderful day in W Sussex walking in the woods and, a la @Jim Lahey , sitting meditating on a stile.

Of course, I had to get up every time someone came along and wanted to use the stile ...
You really do or did get around. Just back from a glorious walk in the grounds of the ruins of Cowdray Castle. Discovered a secret walled garden which was blissful in the sunshine and had someone serving tea. There was a guy taking tea with a cat on his lap...not sure if he was from the estate cottages or he normally takes his cat out to tea! Anyway not saying anything to Bobs and Daisy, dont want the getting ideas!
Hope you and KC having a good day.

Reactions: HarryBeau

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are not far from where I lived...Hayling Island until I moved to the New Forest.
I love the New Forest. I live in a small village on the Hants/W Sussex border closest towns are Midhurst, Petersfield, cities Chichester and Portsmouth.
I do hope you start to feel better soon and I agree with everyone do not worry about anything other than getting well. X

Reactions: JohnEGreen

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the New Forest. I live in a small village on the Hants/W Sussex border closest towns are Midhurst, Petersfield, cities Chichester and Portsmouth.
I do hope you start to feel better soon and I agree with everyone do not worry about anything other than getting well. X
Thank you x
I love Midhurst, spent many times there with my parents and grandparents. Chichester is only 15 mins from Hayling, my parents still live there.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ideally, I'd like to be at the top end of the normal BMI for my height (5'4") which would put me at 145 lbs which is 37 lbs more. If I can't manage that, the bottom end of the "overweight" range, 155 lbs. When I lose 8 more lbs, I will be out of "Obesity category 1" and into the overweight range. (I started at Obesity Category 3 - morbid obesity).

Thank you for the compliment. I was 194.2 lbs in that photo, about 12 lbs heavier than now. Exercise really helps make the weight loss more visible and the upper abdominals respond really well to it. I still have an overhang on my lower belly which is turning into a spare tire. I'm hoping that will go although I may be left with a flap of loose skin there (I do fast for autophagy as well as lower blood glucose and weight loss too.)

It's so much easier to move with this amount of weight lost - the weight went on gradually over many many years (a lifelong struggle since my teens, I will be 63 in a couple of weeks). Ironically the many "healthy" diets I tried (Weight Watchers at least 5 times for several years each time) and eating low fat probably aggravated my insulin resistance and led to even more weight gain.

Hi @Chronicle_Cat,

It is unbelievable how much weight you have already lost. Did you find it easy?

Eight more pounds until your first goal really isn't all that much to go. Maybe another month or so?

Many of us have probably seen similar results on LCHF. Once I started, the weight dropped without even trying -- even though this was never my primary focus. So sad that this still isn't the official recommendations -- but maybe with time ...

Exercise definitely is a good thing. What kind of exercise do you do?

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Chronicle_Cat,

It is unbelievable how much weight you have already lost. Did you find it easy?

Eight more pounds until your first goal really isn't all that much to go. Maybe another month or so?

Many of us have probably seen similar results on LCHF. Once I started, the weight dropped without even trying -- even though this was never my primary focus. So sad that this still isn't the official recommendations -- but maybe with time ...

Exercise definitely is a good thing. What kind of exercise do you do?

It's definitely easier than eating low fat - I was hungry all the time (whether on a diet or just eating low fat in general). For the first time in my life, I feel I have normal hunger. (I could never have fasted previously). To be honest, I still struggle sometimes. I never cheat with high carb foods (I've seen what diabetic complications can do and that fear keeps on the right path) but I do have to watch my portion sizes (the desire and tendency to overeat is still there) and I don't have low carb desserts or artificial sweeteners very often because they reactivate my sugar cravings and seem to slow weight loss.

My doctor did ask me to lose to weight and I knew it would improve my quality of life so it's been my 2nd priority after blood glucose. (It also helps the insulin resistance.)

I'm hoping to reach 100 lbs in a month but it may take 2.

For exercise if the weather is good, I do 20-30 minutes of brisk walking or a low impact exercise video 5-6 times per week, weight lifting with dumbbells at home once a week and try to stretch and do balance exercises every day (balance declines after age 50 if you don't work to maintain it and falls are the leading cause of death and disability in older people.) I can't do floor work (bad knees) so I do ab & butt squeezes almost every day.