What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't think the Newcastle Diet worked for me but I think that was my naivety. Lived on homemade soup and light meals but didn't realise I needed to include a little fat. Only had one shake in the 8 weeks I was on it, think it was an atkins shake but was pleasantly surprised at how full I felt after it. I wasn't checking bloods at the time so don't know how it affected me. If it is ok to ask the question bearing in mind the theme of the thread and I don't want to derail, can you give me an idea of what your blood levels were at the time you were doing Newcastle Diet. Was thinking of trying a few shakes but frightened off by the level of carbs, but as you say they have a nutritional value.
Hi @ryhopian
I don't think I is derailing, as we are discussing fasting levels and what affects them.
I am away from home at the moment and don't have access to my detailed data, but 8 years ago I used meal replacement products after trying for 6 years to follow the NHS advice Eatwell plate to lose weight and get T2 controlled, with no success. I was severely obese and getting worse. Fasting BG was often 8.0 to 9.0, and 2 hours post prandial was higher, sometimes double figures. My fasting levels dropped to 5 or below within days of starting the Total food replacement. I also lost a lot of weight.
I always suggest that anyone thinking of following the Newcastle diet method should first of all read the research papers. Also plan and get support. Most important to have follow on eating plan, too.

Oops, almost forgot, this morning fasting level 6.5.

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A nice round 5.0 for me this morning. Also a 0.5kg drop in weight after a couple of days with no movement on the scales (yes I’m one of those daily weighers - sorry not sorry!)

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Last edited:

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ryhopian
I don't think I is derailing, as we are discussing fasting levels and what affects them.
I am away from home at the moment and don't have access to my detailed data, but 8 years ago I used meal replacement products after trying for 6 years to follow the NHS advice Eatwell plate to lose weight and get T2 controlled, with no success. I was severely obese and getting worse. Fasting BG was often 8.0 to 9.0, and 2 hours post prandial was higher, sometimes double figures. My fasting levels dropped to 5 or below within days of starting the Total food replacement. I also lost a lot of weight.
I always suggest that anyone thinking of following the Newcastle diet method should first of all read the research papers. Also plan and get support. Most important to have follow on eating plan, too.

Oops, almost forgot, this morning fasting level 6.5.

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

I too followed the Eatwell plate, for years as I fit some criteria for having a pre-dispensation for diabetes. Didn't work.

The 800 cals a day diet I did enabled me to lose weight but in my stupidity I was trying to do low carb and low fat, I was also walking on an airwalker for an hour a day. Stupid but keen. Got into difficulties and doc reckoned I had gone into starvation mode as with the exercising doc reckoned I was only getting about 500 cals. Was told to up calorie intake but felt so weak and heart doing all sorts of strange things, abandoned the low cal diet and shifted to low carb/high fat. Still trying to get my energy back. Low carb, practically keto has worked well for me although I don't think I will ever get down to the numbers some people see. What I find difficult is that there are a few things that concern me about the diet, I do not know whether I am getting sufficient nutrients, or what supplements I should be taking, if any. Losing weight is also hit or miss and not in my control, so I did wonder whether to go back to my comfort zone with a couple of weeks of shakes where I know I would get the sufficient nutrients and hopefully continue losing weight. The downside is I don't know what it will do as I may be in ketosis, nor what would happen to my blood sugars bearing in mind the contents of some of these drinks. It was good to note that the shakes brought your blood sugars down. I am still considering. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Prem51

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ryhopian, I would be very wary if I had had such a bad experience.
Interestingly for me, I recently queried with manufacturers of one brand of meal replacements as to why their nutrition bars had increased in size and calorie load. They told me it was due to European legislation, but didn’t specify what that was. I think it could be that previously people were using 3 meal replacements a day with total calorie intake of 600 calories.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ryhopian, I would be very wary if I had had such a bad experience. Maybe you are right but at least writing things down has given me an opportunity to clarify things in my mind. You are also right that anyone who is thinking about following such a stringent diet should seek the support of their GP. Had their support, I just didn't have much wisdom.
Interestingly for me, I recently queried with manufacturers of one brand of meal replacements as to why their nutrition bars had increased in size and calorie load. They told me it was due to European legislation, but didn’t specify what that was. I think it could be that previously people were using 3 meal replacements a day with total calorie intake of 600 calories. Oh dear.:(

Reactions: Pipp