What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Ryhia

Kjell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Inactivity
Hello @Kjell, good to have you here with us.
I hope the following info will explain the importance of fasting glucose levels:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/fasting-blood-sugar-levels.html

Thanks. That shows how FBS is used as a diagnostic tool. Everybody here though has already been diagnised so I'm wondering what it's being used for - to indicate the efficacy or otherwise of yesterday's diet? And therefore what works and what doesn't? Or something else?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thanks. That shows how FBS is used as a diagnostic tool. Everybody here though has already been diagnised so I'm wondering what it's being used for - to indicate the efficacy or otherwise of yesterday's diet? And therefore what works and what doesn't? Or something else?
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
To know the relationships between pre- and postprandial blood glucose (BG), i.e. BG profile shape, is a requisite for an appropriate therapy for type 2 diabetic patients. In non diabetic subjects, pre-breakfast, pre-lunch and pre-dinner BG are similar, so that BG postprandial excursions are superimposed on a stable BG preprandial baseline. We aimed to clarify: (a) whether BG preprandial baseline is stable also in type 2 diabetes and (b) whether fasting BG (FBG) influences the slope of BG preprandial baseline and the relationships between pre- and postprandial BG.

CONCLUSION:
In type 2 diabetes, the shape of BG profiles changes in relation to FBG, because it deeply influences the slope of BG preprandial baseline on which postprandial excursions are superimposed. Thus, before planning treatment policies, not only the extent of fasting and postprandial hyperglycaemia, but also the shape of profiles should be considered, to safely correct hyperglycaemia without inducing hypoglycaemia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11895469

I learnt in quality control early on in my engineering career that for data to make sense you need a base line or datum point.

I personally use fbg as that base line and that helps me to compare subsequent tests during the day with what I started ou with in the morning.

And of course don't forget that very powerful force Idle Curiosity.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
To know the relationships between pre- and postprandial blood glucose (BG), i.e. BG profile shape, is a requisite for an appropriate therapy for type 2 diabetic patients. In non diabetic subjects, pre-breakfast, pre-lunch and pre-dinner BG are similar, so that BG postprandial excursions are superimposed on a stable BG preprandial baseline. We aimed to clarify: (a) whether BG preprandial baseline is stable also in type 2 diabetes and (b) whether fasting BG (FBG) influences the slope of BG preprandial baseline and the relationships between pre- and postprandial BG.

CONCLUSION:
In type 2 diabetes, the shape of BG profiles changes in relation to FBG, because it deeply influences the slope of BG preprandial baseline on which postprandial excursions are superimposed. Thus, before planning treatment policies, not only the extent of fasting and postprandial hyperglycaemia, but also the shape of profiles should be considered, to safely correct hyperglycaemia without inducing hypoglycaemia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11895469

I learnt in quality control early on in my engineering career that for data to make sense you need a base line or datum point.

I personally use fbg as that base line and that helps me to compare subsequent tests during the day with what I started ou with in the morning.

And of course don't forget that very powerful force Idle Curiosity.
Totally impressed ! Never really bothered with the science its the curious aspect for me.

Last edited:

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.6 this morning. Had very little to eat yesterday. My IF is always unintentional but if it helps my BGs don't mind at all.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy christmas everyone
FB_IMG_1577188488200.jpg