What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.8 this morning after an earlyish night and a traumatic day yesterday.
I feel like a Carole King song.
"Something inside has died and I can't hide and I just can't fake it."
I didn't realize I had been.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankfully none of my family ever deteriorated that far. For many a Tunis cake would enter the house along with Christmas essentials and leave via the dustbin totally untouched. No one ever knew why it was purchased in the first place:arghh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunis_cake

Complete madness to buy it and chuck it away. I like the sound of Tunis cake but I’ve never seen one. The only thing I buy that I wouldn’t have ever eaten is cheese footballs. SIL loves them so I still get them for him, but good grief!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The American version of the Tunis cake (about which I never heard until today) -- the infamous holiday fruitcake. Hard and heavy as a brick and about as edible.

5233-3-large.jpg

This particular photo is captioned "Everyone's favorite fruitcake."
More like everyone's favorite holiday joke. ;)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Complete madness to buy it and chuck it away. I like the sound of Tunis cake but I’ve never seen one. The only thing I buy that I wouldn’t have ever eaten is cheese footballs. SIL loves them so I still get them for him, but good grief!
I might just have coped with madeira cake sans the hideous chocolate they used and the dreaded/poisonous marzipan but there was so much that was better to eat. Cheese footballs on the other hand are very much my kinda thing just poshed up as these really https://lowcarb-glutenfree.com/prod...00-g-xxl-bag-the-perfect-low-carb-keto-snack/ - these and the Gouda ones may find their way here for Christmas.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might just have coped with madeira cake sans the hideous chocolate they used and the dreaded/poisonous marzipan but there was so much that was better to eat. Cheese footballs on the other hand are very much my kinda thing just poshed up as these really https://lowcarb-glutenfree.com/prod...00-g-xxl-bag-the-perfect-low-carb-keto-snack/ - these and the Gouda ones may find their way here for Christmas.

Yep! Same as these that I’ve tried and loved. Nothing like cheese footballs though

https://www.cheesies.co.uk/products...2R9xqwaVm4YLTJrWyaVOZ7CbO2kx19FhoCrTIQAvD_BwE

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a pretentious Islington Remoaner version of cheese footballs - end of:angelic:

My last comment on the subject as we’ve probably derailed enough for one day: Cheese footballs have never seen a lump of cheese in their life. End of.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My last comment on the subject as we’ve probably derailed enough for one day: Cheese footballs have never seen a lump of cheese in their life. End of.
Yes they have. Leave it or I will end you:) I'm just organising a search party to find the DGF slice/thingy that is hiding in my bowl - no wonder people lose weight with their portions. They need tracking devices:arghh:

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are cheese footballs? Beginning of.

What literary character ate madeira cake? Was it the old lady in The Borrowers? Or did she drink madeira which was why she wasn't surprised when she met the Borrowers?

What effect does madeira (cake or sherry) have on BG and liver?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tunis cake, holiday cake, cheese footballs, madeira solid and liquid, where will it end! I have ordered cheese snacks from the Serious Pig (no SOH) and will hope for the best and report back. Anyway a respectable 5.4 this morning.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. The sun is out and it promises to be a brilliant day.

Forgot to post yesterday.

Fasting blood sugars yesterday: 4.7
Fasting blood sugars today: 4.8

@DJC3 -- Thanks for the "hi" and right back at you.

Have a great day all.

Reactions: philchap1

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Where to start? It is alleged my fg was 4.7 by an L Reader. So, @SaskiaKC Madeira cake is ok but Madiera wine is sublime - my guess is I have enough bottles to see out my time on earth but should I live longer more will magically appear. @PenguinMum respectable? it is brilliant and if I'm right today is FFF. I have Tuna - lightly seared - today and salmon tomorrow - truly blessed.