What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Echob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed t2 6 months ago. Tried dieting-didn't work- realised how serious this is and lost 1stone in last 3 months- bg levels remain high compared to others on here first thing in morning normally between 9.5 -13.0-spoke to gp today and she said it was ok (take 3 metformin 500 daily ) I thought it should be betweeen 4-6
Advice please.

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello mates,
At a couple of the other forums I've frequented there was a thread like this one where we all sorta checked in each day, with our first cup of coffee or tea, and reported our fasting or waking blood glucose level and some short comment about whether we're ok with it or if not - why not?...

It worked well as a sort of 'first thread to check' each morning and post to.

I'll start.

This morning was a 5.6mmol for me. That's about normal for me

What about you?
6.9 which is about as low as I've had it since Feb. Two hours later after breakfast of porridge with a handful of blueberries it had shot up to 10.5 !! I suspect it may have been the blueberries wot done it. I try porridge with half a banana or apple next time and see what happens.

A

asparagusp

Yes my results were similar, today 6.1 to 10.9. However with the same breakfast, 6.6 post breakfast twice in the last week but the fasting was around 4.0. It's all very weird and unpredictable..

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
5.9 this morning, which was repeated 1 & a half hours after breakfast (egg, sour dough toast & avocado) & green tea. Quite a low reading for me at this time of day - usually, I would be 6.4 & 6.8 respectively.

Reactions: Prem51 and hankjam
D

debrasue

6.9 which is about as low as I've had it since Feb. Two hours later after breakfast of porridge with a handful of blueberries it had shot up to 10.5 !! I suspect it may have been the blueberries wot done it. I try porridge with half a banana or apple next time and see what happens.
I suspect it's the porridge wot's doing it! Try scrambled eggs and some berries and cream afterwards and see what that does to your BGs...

Paul3613

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NOT BEING ABLE TO EAT WHAT I WANT, Outdoor gardening, Bad weather, Floods, Bush fires, Below zero temperatures, Not being able to walk my dog (she is to old),
Hi there
Wow very impressive numbers, my waking sugars are between 6 and 9 , I thought that was good as my hba1c figures are about
6.4 but you guys seem to be doing very well . I am on insulin , are your hba1c numbers good too ?
David
Welcome to the forum I live in Australia and I find the forum very helpful. It's good to compare your levels with others that have the same condition as you, that are using either the same or different medications that you are. Stay healthy, Paul..

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed t2 6 months ago. Tried dieting-didn't work- realised how serious this is and lost 1stone in last 3 months- bg levels remain high compared to others on here first thing in morning normally between 9.5 -13.0-spoke to gp today and she said it was ok (take 3 metformin 500 daily ) I thought it should be betweeen 4-6
Advice please.
I thought Metformin should be started slowly like one table per day and then increase to two instead of three, so body can adjust to the medication. Hopefully your body can take it without any problem.

Reactions: Freema

Paul3613

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NOT BEING ABLE TO EAT WHAT I WANT, Outdoor gardening, Bad weather, Floods, Bush fires, Below zero temperatures, Not being able to walk my dog (she is to old),
Advice please.
Ask your Dr what type of Metformin she /he wants you to take,? When I was first diagnosed, 3yrs ago my Dr put me on one Metformin 5oomg XR (Extended Release) a day and it has really worked for me. My lowest reading has been 5.3 and my highest 6.7 I now have a 30 day average of 6.0, Both my Dr and I are very happy with the way things are going, it's not easy, it took me a while to accept how serious T2 Diabetes is, the earlier you get it under control the better. Good luck Paul..

Reactions: Prem51

Paul3613

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
6.1 this morning and feeling great.

sandyw

Speaking form experince, porridge is a big NO NO as far as BG goes. Blueberries on the other hand, no problem. Bananas not good. By the way I do miss my daily porridge and banana, so need quite a bit of discipline.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Prem51

GeorgeWBaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
4.3 at 06.45 this morning. A bit low for me, usually around 7/8. wonder if it's because I've reduced my coffee intake from five cups a day to two and taken tea for the rest.

I'm not 91, I'm an 18 year old with 73 years experience.

Reactions: Prem51

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Mine was 148-I'm still looking for that conversion gadget again. It's a little high. I was in the 80 to 140 range before infection. I am on day 9 of a 10 day course of antibiotics. Hoping it will come down after the course of antibiotics is over. I exercised a lot today to help lower it. I had Brown Cow yogurt and some granola this morning with 3 cups of coffee. I was very thirsty.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @SWUSA_ and welcome to the forum. You can use this chart for conversion from US to UK figures:

50shades.png