What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Blood sugars were 5.2 today.

Thanks for your kind wishes, @dogslife, @Granny_grump_, and @karen8967. Unfortunately, we weren't able to get a reservation at the Brazilian place, so went to the Xmas market instead -- my hubby had two cups of mulled wine. Since it's made with sugar, I unfortunately had to forego the mulled wine. (Thinking about making some at home, though, with xylitol instead of real sugar).

After this, we went to our favorite tapas place -- which is always nice. I made up for missing the mulled wine by ordering one a half glasses of rioja.

Hope your pain will be better soon, @dogslife.
Congrats, @Freema, on your great fasting numbers. They seem to be in the fives most of the time this week.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Was in the 4s all day yesterday. Had some nuts before bed as I was 4.1. Woke at 1am with hypo signs and was 3.5 so had some more nuts.
Woke at 7.30 with 4.1 and feeling fine.

How low is too low for a type 2? Should I be worried about the 3.5?
Will not be taking gliclazide again now I’m on low carb!
Hi purplepenguin. Is it worth contacting your diabetes team for advice re your Gliclazide dose? The same happened to me when I first started to reduce my carbs. I was having hypo symptoms and was testing in the 3's so they reduced my dose and I haven't had any problems since. Just a thought??? Best wishes.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.

Thanks for your kind wishes, @dogslife, @Granny_grump_, and @karen8967. Unfortunately, we weren't able to get a reservation at the Brazilian place, so went to the Xmas market instead -- my hubby had two cups of mulled wine. Since it's made with sugar, I unfortunately had to forego the mulled wine. (Thinking about making some at home, though, with xylitol instead of real sugar).

After this, we went to our favorite tapas place -- which is always nice. I made up for missing the mulled wine by ordering one a half glasses of rioja.

Congrats, @Freema, on your great fasting numbers. They seem to be in the fives most of the time this week.
Thank you Ziggy_w. Glad you enjoyed your anniversary.

Last edited:

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is purple penguin
Sorry if my post was a little muddled,I'd only just woken up and wasn't thinking too clearly.Just needed to give the info about driving when on Gliclazide quickly as my DN and GP didn't emphasise this to me and the GP with special (?)responsibility for diabetes had told me categorically I couldn't hypo!To think that I had been driving for six months scared me.I use a busy euro route when I drive just short distances so need to be alert,!!!Luckily for me I then had hypos at home and after joining this forum recognised what was happening.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
6.2 this morning. Had my quarterly blood work done yesterday. My fasting bg went from 7.3 in September to 6.6. Still haven’t got my Hba1c numbers yet as our lab sends those out to be done. Hba1c in September was 6.1 so I’m hoping for an improvement there as well.
Edit to add, just checked online. My Hba1c taken yesterday is 5.8 (39.9 I think). Things are looking up.

Last edited:

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi purplepenguin. Is it worth contacting your diabetes team for advice re your Gliclazide dose? The same happened to me when I first started to reduce my carbs. I was having hypo symptoms and was testing in the 3's so they reduced my dose and I haven't had any problems since. Just a thought??? Best wishes.

Hi.

I'm seeing the nurse in early January but I don't think it's something I need to bother her about. It's not the first time I've done low carb, and last time I was told to stop the gliclazide completely. I test regularly so I'll know if I go too high or low.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 this morning. Had my quarterly blood work done yesterday. My fasting bg went from 7.3 in September to 6.6. Still haven’t got my Hba1c numbers yet as our lab sends those out to be done. Hba1c in September was 6.1 so I’m hoping for an improvement there as well.
Edit to add, just checked online. My Hba1c taken yesterday is 5.8 (39.9 I think). Things are looking up.

Congratulations, @Troubled1. This is fantastic news. Really well done.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks seems the metformin didn’t do much difference lately today my morning number was 5.8 so happy days ..... all under control

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Well done @Troubled1 your doing ok, my review is in January will be interesting to see how weight loss has affected my readings!!K

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad your morning number is good @Freema,just enjoy your visitors and Christmas and relax,you are doing fine.Love your changing Christmas avatars:)

Reactions: Goacher55