What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks you dear people, well actually the duck was really good, only the second time I have made duck..:) .. I did put some butter on its skin after the first roasting, because they said in the radio it would make the skin more crust and deliciously tasting.

how was you Christmas dinner , what is you traditions concerning foods...?

we celebrate the evening before Christ's birth 24 of december, where most english celebrater on the morning of 25. december ..

Where are you based?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w
@gleeful
You must have willpower of steel,only sweet things I ate was 3 chocolate stollen bites and a small amount of carbs
Good on you both! K Hope you had a lovely Christmas Day

Hi Kathleen,

Hope you had a lovely Xmas too. Spending time with your loved ones is definitely a boon.

After waking up to 110 mg/dl (6.1 mmol) blood sugars two days ago, which was well into the prediabetic range based on German standards, made me decide I really needed to do something.

So, out went the red wine (which I really miss) and in came an extra half hour of exercise, which helped to push my blood sugars down by about one mmol. I feel much more content this way.

Otherwise, I don't feel deprived at all. There are so many low-carb options that I really don't miss eating more carbs.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks you dear people, well actually the duck was really good, only the second time I have made duck..:) .. I did put some butter on its skin after the first roasting, because they said in the radio it would make the skin more crust and deliciously tasting.

we celebrate the evening before Christ's birth 24 of december, where most english celebrater on the morning of 25. december ..

Hi @Freema,

Xmas traditions in Germany are similar to what you have in Denmark. The big celebration is on the evening of the 24th of December. Traditionally, we have goose, often with sweet-and-sour red cabbage and potato dumplings. Children have to recite a poem, sing or play a song on an instrument before they get to see the decorated Xmas tree and presents are unpacked.

So glad you enjoyed your time with your family. The Xmas dinner you prepared truly looked delicious.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Freema,

Xmas traditions in Germany are similar to what you have in Denmark. The big celebration is on the evening of the 24th of December. Traditionally, we have goose, often with sweet-and-sour red cabbage and potato dumplings. Children have to recite a poem, sing or play a song on an instrument before they get to see the decorated Xmas tree and presents are unpacked.

So glad you enjoyed your time with your family. The Xmas dinner you prepared truly looked delicious.
well sounds very much like our tradition, but the poem recitation is new and a very fine tradition I think...

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well sounds very much like our tradition, but the poem recitation is new and a very fine tradition I think...

Actually, I grew up very close to Denmark (about 30 km), so this is probably why traditions are similar. The Scandinavian influence in the North of Germany is very strong.

Reactions: Freema

ewpfaffly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Conflict
Good Morning/Afternoon. I slept in since I couldn't sleep last night. I woke up at 299mg, (16.6mmol), and while it is not that great a reading it's not as high as some of my more recent readings have been. I simply have to quit eating in the middle of the night. Sometimes I don't even remember doing it. I took 2 units of Novolog and will check myself again in another hour. I usually don't check so often but with all that has been going on I can't relax without knowing where I am, this high/low swing has ruined my confidence in my readings and in my ability to keep at a safe Blood Sugar Level. I did get a message back from my V.A. Team here in Branson, Mo. and they are going to set me up with a phone consult with a diabetic nutritionist. It's worth a shot and may help so I am going to give her a try and see what happens. Once again sorry if I am too long winded but it seems to make me feel better being able to let out all these thoughts rushing through my mind and eases some of my worry's. I am definitely happy to be a part of this group. Just knowing there are other people who understand is a great comfort. Have a great day all.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning/Afternoon. I slept in since I couldn't sleep last night. I woke up at 299mg, (16.6mmol), and while it is not that great a reading it's not as high as some of my more recent readings have been. I simply have to quit eating in the middle of the night. Sometimes I don't even remember doing it. I took 2 units of Novolog and will check myself again in another hour. I usually don't check so often but with all that has been going on I can't relax without knowing where I am, this high/low swing has ruined my confidence in my readings and in my ability to keep at a safe Blood Sugar Level. I did get a message back from my V.A. Team here in Branson, Mo. and they are going to set me up with a phone consult with a diabetic nutritionist. It's worth a shot and may help so I am going to give her a try and see what happens. Once again sorry if I am too long winded but it seems to make me feel better being able to let out all these thoughts rushing through my mind and eases some of my worry's. I am definitely happy to be a part of this group. Just knowing there are other people who understand is a great comfort. Have a great day all.

I wish you well!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi ewpfaffly, I don't normally post on this thread (coz I could never keep up the routine of it!) but I often browse through what folks have to say about their day(s). Please chatter on as long and as often as you need to (if not here, perhaps elsewhere in a new thread, just for yourself :)) - that's what we're here for, to help and support eachother, if we can, in whatever way is needed, if possible. I can certainly relate to the need to get things out and 'off your chest'; just having someone to listen, or being able to write it down, makes such a difference.

I'm not type 1, nor do I take insulin, so can't help there, sorry to say. But I do hope that the consultation with the nutritionist helps to sort out things for you, and leads to a plan for you to get back where you want to be & to regain your confidence.

Best of luck :)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!

we celebrate the evening before Christ's birth 24 of december, where most english celebrate on the morning of 25. december ..
Hi Freema I am aware in Germany that the 24 th is your main celebration day has my brother lives in Baden Baden,has you say we have our main celebration on 25th our main bird to eat is usually Turkey which we had and I roasted a gammon joint so we had a slice of each, 2 tiny roast potatoes cooked in goose fat,pigs in blankets x2 roasted veg Brussels sprouts chanterney carrots bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, and smoked bacon cut up and sprinkled over veg dash of olive oil in oven to roast. Started with prawn cocktail. and ended with a mini Christmas cake and custard with lots of cream stirred in it. Glass Procceco and that's our Christmas Meal, fabulous! I was 6.3 this morning and 6.3 going to bed tonight wait to see what it is tomorrow morning? Only had this meal until around 8 pm and nibbled on small slice pizza and a mini pork pie which I didn't finish wasn't enjoying it just not hungry! K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Granny_grump unfortunately I’m on call over the Christmas holidays so I can only knock back coffee with cream. It’s cold enough that flat spots develop on out tires until we have driven a bit.
Bg’s are now down to the low 6’s.
Like it @Troubled1 ! K

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sending big hugs hope you get sorted

Reactions: Freema

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi@ewpfaffly hope you get the help your looking for from your diabetic nutritionist, don't apologise for off loading your worries we all do it and the nice thing is no one on this site minds,least I haven't had any complaints! And believe me I write some long posts because I like to help people if I can or guide them to those who will help,take care and keep posting and asking questions and advice it's the only way we learn things! K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ziggy_w Must apologies I posted my message meant for you has I knew you lived in Germany same has my brother, but I mistakenly sent it to Freema in Denmark, so sorry Freema it must be with it being late should have checked it out before posting!K

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
8e22751d239150bcd1112ebc2d0f54ca.jpg