What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Rhubarb I've done the DESMOND course...there I've said it...and that's enough said about that unfortunate experience...I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it...unfortunately I can't publish mine here...I'm likely to find myself in hot water if I did.
Publish please If its good we want to know if its bad we need to know.

Reactions: HarryBeau

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I second your unprintable thoughts.
I can only say what I've said before ,,,,,,,,. If its good we want to know if its bad we need to know

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
41 mins log splitting done. First time I have worn a heart rate monitor whilst doing that job - very informative:woot: Numbers may not be accurate but it is the same one I use for tracking all other exercise. I may have had the wrong reasons for doing it but I liked the results and we have firewood for a cold night as a by product. Hope it has a good effect on bg but endorphins have worked.:):):)
Blimey Ian the weather must have really taken a turn for the worse where you live.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was so excited with a No headache 3.8 yesterday morning that I forgot to post
Not so excited this morning with an 8.3 out of nowhere and a headache WHY?

Reactions: heavyd

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey Ian the weather must have really taken a turn for the worse where you live.
Not the weather taking a turn for the worse but my fbg. I do usually do some sawing and splitting of firewood at this time of year. It gives the wood long enough to have seasoned from last year and still enough time to season the split logs to be dry enough to burn for this year.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not the weather taking a turn for the worse but my fbg. I do usually do some sawing and splitting of firewood at this time of year. It gives the wood long enough to have seasoned from last year and still enough time to season the split logs to be dry enough to burn for this year.
Sounds like a good plan but I am not able to contemplate open fires just now even though we have had two very autumnal days. My new dilemma is how to reattach the wisteria which has broken away from the chimney wall with the heavy rain and gales. The garden is delighted but theres always something to spoil your fun! Good luck with the FBGs am sure its a mere blip

Reactions: HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a good plan but I am not able to contemplate open fires just now even though we have had two very autumnal days. My new dilemma is how to reattach the wisteria which has broken away from the chimney wall with the heavy rain and gales. The garden is delighted but theres always something to spoil your fun! Good luck with the FBGs am sure its a mere blip
Exactly the same for my neighbour...part of the brick wall it rests on came away...so hers needs to be reattached too.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Publish please If its good we want to know if its bad we need to know.
Where do I start...I'm not sure if it was the course or the 'educators'(there were two of them... doubly painful) or possibly because I was diagnosed seven months at that point...after ten minutes on all the various drug permutations she asked the group which type of diabetes we all had...initially we looked at each other the clue is in the title... DESMOND is only for T2 sheepishly we replied 'well erm type 2'..."well done" she proclaimed pointing round all the group..."give yourself a big pat on the back"...this was the highlight of the presentation...it deteriorated...we fondled some very old plastic food & drink ...a half pint of lager...some plastic peas & carrots...a wedge of cheese in order to guess the carbs & calorie content..we got them wrong she told us the figures then made us repeat them back to her twice for good measure...it took me back to my first school The English Martyrs we did that a lot there...nothing on testing strips/meters...when one participant ( I use that term loosely since they did not take any questions & we weren't allowed to participate) boldly said he wanted to buy a meter but wasn't sure which to buy...he was cut off pretty swiftly with "there is no need for you to buy a meter...if you need a meter & strips your GP will give you those OKAY"...I knew that wasn't true but had sunk into resigned silence & said nothing...by lunch the group mood was one of incredulity...when it came to our HbA1c figures she asked us how we controlled our BGs' (mine was about the lowest)… I said I followed the LCHF diet...she turned her back and continued to the next member without comment...finally ending the morning session on the merits of the NHS eat well plate (yes complete with the plastic foodstuffs)at lunchtime she singled me out and suggested perhaps I was too advanced for the course did I really need/want to attend the afternoon session...I took this as my chance to escape...so for me it was archaic...condescending...irrelevant...a waste of my time...others may feel it is of some benefit...having said that I somehow find that difficult to believe.

Last edited:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Where do I start...I'm not sure if it was the course or the 'educators'(there were two of them... doubly painful) or possibly because I was diagnosed seven months at that point...after ten minutes on all the various drug permutations she asked the group which type of diabetes we all had...initially we looked at each other the clue is in the title... DESMOND is only for T2 sheepishly we replied 'well erm type 2'..."well done" she proclaimed pointing round all the group..."give yourself a big pat on the back"...this was the highlight of the presentation...it deteriorated...we fondled some very old plastic food & drink ...a half pint of lager...some plastic peas & carrots...a wedge of cheese in order to guess the carbs & calorie content..we got them wrong she told us the figures then made us repeat them back to her twice for good measure...it took me back to my first school The English Martyrs we did that a lot there...nothing on testing strips/meters...when one participant ( I use that term loosely since they did not take any questions & we weren't allowed to participate) boldly said he wanted to buy a meter but wasn't sure which to buy...he was cut off pretty swiftly with "there is no need for you to buy a meter...if you need a meter & strips your GP will give you those OKAY"...I knew that wasn't true but had sunk into resigned silence & said nothing...by lunch the group mood was one of incredulity...when it came to our HbA1c figures she asked us how we controlled our BGs' (mine was about the lowest)… I said I followed the LCHF diet...she turned her back and continued to the next member without comment...finally ending the morning session on the merits of the NHS eat well plate (yes complete with the plastic foodstuffs)at lunchtime she singled me out and suggested perhaps I was too advanced for the course did I really need/want to attend the afternoon session...I took this as my chance to escape...so for me it was archaic...condescending...irrelevant...a waste of my time...others may feel it is of some benefit...having said that I somehow find that difficult to believe.
Thanks for that ... I like your sum up........ archaic...condescending...irrelevant.

Reactions: DJC3 and HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that ... I like your sum up........ archaic...condescending...irrelevant.
I was being diplomatic there @OrsonKartt … when I think of what I'd like to say I blush...one really telling point for me was bringing a friend with me who is also diabetic...she has not had the best of control...some negligence on her part some really bad advice from her health care team...she is insulin dependant in addition to other medications...when her BG levels were increasing her surgery brought in what they refer to as 'a trouble shooter'...when I asked her what the trouble shooter did she said the nurse simply upped her insulin dose & other medications...her trouble shooter was one of the educators on the course...it seemed doomed to failure after I discovered that.:(:(

Reactions: DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No offence taken. I'm all for constructive critisism. It started out all caps... all bold!!! Just wanted to emphasise the really important bits. I thought I was doing quite good with my tweaks:) lesson learned and i really appreciate the feedback.

Hi @Alexandra100 - I have quickly changed to lower case to make it reader friendly. No Bold! :)

diabetes.co.uk meeting/event date - saturday 1st september

1. place – birmingham (venue to be announced in the next few days) i'm currently working on putting together a low carb high fat event. it's open to anyone especially those interested in learning more about diabetes and about the lchf way of eating. i haven’t organised such an event before so it is a bit of a learning curve. massive thanks to those who are helping any which way, really could not do it without you. an amazing team effort. any ideas much appreciated no matter how big or small. it is coming together quite quickly from just having the idea about 2 weeks ago to having a date set in stone (saturday 1st september). it is a date that works well for the diabetes.co.uk team so that they can get all the relevant people there. it's not too far away so it's full steam ahead for planning. lots of us chat and learn so much from the forum and read the inspirational stories, but i thought it would be really nice for as many of us as possible to have an actual get together. i have had lots of feedback from people who would like to attend which is absolutely amazing. exciting times. diabetes.co.uk are supporting us massively by sorting a venue, providing food and generally helping with putting the event together. it's a wonderful opportunity for us to meet fellow members face to face, for veterans and experienced members to share their heaps of knowledge and for newcomers to perhaps learn more about their condition and how to deal with it to avoid future complications. peoples' journeys will be there for you to read, weight loss successes, information on how to reducehba1c levels, info on different ways to incorporate fasting into your journey should you so wish to and the different methods of doing that, ways to incorporate exercise, from armchair to high impact. we are hoping to have a section of people's recipes. and if you don't mind sharing these i am gathering your own personal recipes (not from a book or online blogger). each recipe needs to have a title, for example 'looks horrendous but tastes divine' or 'my ultimate dessert'. there will be low carb food and drink information and much much more. lunch will be provided (low carb of course) please let me know as soon as possible if you can attend. if you need any help in planning journeys please let me know as i might be able to help. there will be a before and after photos section and i'm looking for anyone who has lost weight with the lchf wao to please contact me if they don't mind me using their photos at the event. i also need their weight loss details and hba1c before and after. i have some kind volunteers already by many more needed. we would like to reach the '100 stone lost' mark. would make a fantastic headline.it's just great to see and share the motivational results too. the diabetes.co.uk photographer and pr team will be there to take a photo of our success (but you only need to get in front of the camera shot should you so wish and if you do.... bring your old big clothes!!!). we thought of having as many people as possible in the one photo – maximum impact showing how the lchf has helped us lose weight and our hba1c levels. we are the people with this condition and as ambassadorsthere is no better way of getting the message out. showing people there is another way that might not have to involve medication. that might mean the disease does not need to be progressive as we are led to believe. a healthier way of dealing with it. it's a great opportunity to show the world how eating lchf can reverse/put into remission/control this beast and help us regain good health. this will hopefully the first of many meetings between us and we can go from strength to strength as a group with the help and support from diabetes.co.uk without which it would not be possible. please contact me for further information, if you have any questions/ideas or to confirm whether or not you might be able to attend. many thanks.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Alexandra100 - I have quickly changed to lower case to make it reader friendly. No Bold! :)

diabetes.co.uk meeting/event date - saturday 1st september

1. place – birmingham (venue to be announced in the next few days) i'm currently working on putting together a low carb high fat event. it's open to anyone especially those interested in learning more about diabetes and about the lchf way of eating. i haven’t organised such an event before so it is a bit of a learning curve. massive thanks to those who are helping any which way, really could not do it without you. an amazing team effort. any ideas much appreciated no matter how big or small. it is coming together quite quickly from just having the idea about 2 weeks ago to having a date set in stone (saturday 1st september). it is a date that works well for the diabetes.co.uk team so that they can get all the relevant people there. it's not too far away so it's full steam ahead for planning. lots of us chat and learn so much from the forum and read the inspirational stories, but i thought it would be really nice for as many of us as possible to have an actual get together. i have had lots of feedback from people who would like to attend which is absolutely amazing. exciting times. diabetes.co.uk are supporting us massively by sorting a venue, providing food and generally helping with putting the event together. it's a wonderful opportunity for us to meet fellow members face to face, for veterans and experienced members to share their heaps of knowledge and for newcomers to perhaps learn more about their condition and how to deal with it to avoid future complications. peoples' journeys will be there for you to read, weight loss successes, information on how to reducehba1c levels, info on different ways to incorporate fasting into your journey should you so wish to and the different methods of doing that, ways to incorporate exercise, from armchair to high impact. we are hoping to have a section of people's recipes. and if you don't mind sharing these i am gathering your own personal recipes (not from a book or online blogger). each recipe needs to have a title, for example 'looks horrendous but tastes divine' or 'my ultimate dessert'. there will be low carb food and drink information and much much more. lunch will be provided (low carb of course) please let me know as soon as possible if you can attend. if you need any help in planning journeys please let me know as i might be able to help. there will be a before and after photos section and i'm looking for anyone who has lost weight with the lchf wao to please contact me if they don't mind me using their photos at the event. i also need their weight loss details and hba1c before and after. i have some kind volunteers already by many more needed. we would like to reach the '100 stone lost' mark. would make a fantastic headline.it's just great to see and share the motivational results too. the diabetes.co.uk photographer and pr team will be there to take a photo of our success (but you only need to get in front of the camera shot should you so wish and if you do.... bring your old big clothes!!!). we thought of having as many people as possible in the one photo – maximum impact showing how the lchf has helped us lose weight and our hba1c levels. we are the people with this condition and as ambassadorsthere is no better way of getting the message out. showing people there is another way that might not have to involve medication. that might mean the disease does not need to be progressive as we are led to believe. a healthier way of dealing with it. it's a great opportunity to show the world how eating lchf can reverse/put into remission/control this beast and help us regain good health. this will hopefully the first of many meetings between us and we can go from strength to strength as a group with the help and support from diabetes.co.uk without which it would not be possible. please contact me for further information, if you have any questions/ideas or to confirm whether or not you might be able to attend. many thanks.
Hi Deb dont want to rain on the parade but I think the weight loss aspect shouldnt be emphasised anywhere near as important as the reduced BG control with prospect of a life without complications. I know weight loss follows very often on LCHF woe but I can just see the headline being “Lose weight on LCHF and reverse your Diabetes”. I definitely chose the woe to get my BG down, the weight loss was an add on. I think a lot of us feel the same. Some are struggling to keep their weight up (Guzzler) but stick with it to control Diabetes. I have had more than enough people imply that fat people = Diabetes. Please dont take offence because what you are doing is inspirational and its just my opinion.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My goodness, someone who takes advice!!! (Not something I have often managed in my life, though things would have gone much better if I had.) One more suggestion: IMO your posts will be easier to read and more attractive if you break them up into paragraphs. But that's absolutely up to you.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My goodness, someone who takes advice!!! (Not something I have often managed in my life, though things would have gone much better if I had.) One more suggestion: IMO your posts will be easier to read and more attractive if you break them up into paragraphs. But that's absolutely up to you.
It was originally tbh but when I changed it to what I wanted it also got rid if the paras. I knew you would get the jist :)

Reactions: ianpspurs

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Deb dont want to rain on the parade but I think the weight loss aspect shouldnt be emphasised anywhere near as important as the reduced BG control with prospect of a life without complications. I know weight loss follows very often on LCHF woe but I can just see the headline being “Lose weight on LCHF and reverse your Diabetes”. I definitely chose the woe to get my BG down, the weight loss was an add on. I think a lot of us feel the same. Some are struggling to keep their weight up (Guzzler) but stick with it to control Diabetes. I have had more than enough people imply that fat people = Diabetes. Please dont take offence because what you are doing is inspirational and its just my opinion.
@PenguinMum - Absolutely agree - such a great point and I did meant to emphasise that also but missed it out completely! Mistake on my part. That's exactly why I started this woe, not to lose weight!!! Thanks again Im going to amend mylatest post and previous accordingly.

Reactions: geefull and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum - Absolutely agree - such a great point and I did meant to emphasise that also but missed it out completely! Mistake on my part. That's exactly why I started this woe, not to lose weight!!! Thanks again Im going to amend mylatest post and previous accordingly.
Hi Deb glad you know where I am coming from. With all the effort it would be horrible if some of the media homed in on LCHF as another diet to lose weight cos we all know it is soooo much more. I will PM you my little story. I dont have original recipes but could suggest tips eg. Bolognese for he family mine on a bed of greens. Quick picks in supermarkets when not near a kitchen. Just things I discovered as I lived the life!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shall I send my food tips to you or Shelley? Cant make it this time but hope its a huge success (dont see why not) and next year if you do it again, my best friend will be the otherside of her cancer treatment and I will have more time on my hands.

Reactions: OrsonKartt and DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Deb glad you know where I am coming from. With all the effort it would be horrible if some of the media homed in on LCHF as another diet to lose weight cos we all know it is soooo much more. I will PM you my little story. I dont have original recipes but could suggest tips eg. Bolognese for he family mine on a bed of greens. Quick picks in supermarkets when not near a kitchen. Just things I discovered as I lived the life!

Done :) Im so happy now, thanks for mentioning it.

Looking forward to reading your story.

Great idea re the bol on greens, I'm taking that on board!
Shall I send my food tips to you or Shelley? Cant make it this time but hope its a huge success (dont see why not) and next year if you do it again, my best friend will be the otherside of her cancer treatment and I will have more time on my hands.

You are needed more by your friend at this difficult time. Hope she makes a speedy recovery. See you at the next event :) If you could send recipes to Shelley that would be great. She has a brilliant plan for them. Thanks.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@OrsonKartt @Bubbsie my experience of DESMOND was very similar, with the trainers totally incapable of going off script. I too was ignored when I mentioned lchf.
The one positive aspect was that a couple of people came up to me at lunchtime and asked about lchf as I had the lowest HbA1C like you Bubbsie. They were really interested in it and I was able to point them in the direction of this forum, hopefully they are members now, in which case it will have been worth it.