What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

NewdestinyX

Morning team!
6.6 this am.. Uggh.. Now that I've stopped my Lantus my 'Dawn P' is back in full swing.. But again, DawnP is a 'human natural reaction' to the cortisol squirt we all get that's intended to wake us in the am.It's just we D's have no (T1) to poor (T2) First phase insulin responses to bring the BG level down - hence - what Ds call 'Dawn Phenomenon' [The reality is 'all' humans have this 'rise in am BG levels' - it's only a 'phenomenon' with Ds because of the no to poor 1st phase ins resp].

I guess I'll just need to take a unit of Novalog in the am even before breakfast to adjust for it. That's okay. Fasting numbers the rest of the day are between 5 and 5.5 which suits me FINE!!! :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I experience DawnP in extremes, without a high amount of basal in certain hours in the morning i would spike up to the 20's in the matter of a couple of hours.

It's asif my body thinks i'm gonna go out and slay a dragon or something!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

NewdestinyX

ebony321 said:
I experience DawnP in extremes, without a high amount of basal in certain hours in the morning i would spike up to the 20's in the matter of a couple of hours.

It's asif my body thinks i'm gonna go out and slay a dragon or something!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL!!! Yep.. That's precisely why a lot of docs started prescribing Metformin for T1's too. Get that liver dumping under control.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, all had to take a nap earlier catch up, as woke up at 4am with a BS of 19.8 :shock: didnt feel great with this either! Anna.x :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Poor you - have you got it down now? What did you do?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, its down a bit 14.8 now, water n water n water ! keep feeling queasy and so weary yet. Anna.x :?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hope someone comes along soon with some more ideas... Where is everyone?

ebony321

Dislikes
anna29 said:
Hi, its down a bit 14.8 now, water n water n water ! keep feeling queasy and so weary yet. Anna.x :?

Hi anna,

No wonder you felt quite terrible, i hope you got your BG's down a little more.

Are you still planning to go ahead with the basal/bolus regime? i see from your signature you already take levemir, seems like you could use a fast acting insulin to get this sort of high back down to normal asap.

I seem to re-call it was around the 20th July you were planning to go ahead with a new regime, please correct me if i'm wrong.

If you experiencing regular highs such as these, possibly see if you can push this appointment nearer or see your GP if you feel quite poorly alongside these high BG's.

You are quite right to drink plenty of fluids to help flush out excess glucose, but remember drinking an extremely large amount of water can upset the sodium balance in your body, if you have an incontrollable thirst rather than intentionally drinking alot then it's best to seek medical advice.

If this is a one off and your usually at a reasonable level, keep a close eye on your BG's until it returns to normal, as your appointment is less than two weeks (if im correct) then you could probably wait until then.

If you do feel poorly or can't seem to get your BG's down then don't be afraid to seek medical help, call NHS direct if you are unsure or simply go to A&E.

I hate to seem like it can be sort of dramatic but i'd rather the advice be there and you not need it, than it not be there when you do need it if that makes sense.

Hope you've got them down by now though, i know it's a bit late to reply but wanted to anyway :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
6.5 fasting
6.6 @ 2 hours which confirms my choice of breakfast was OK :)
Still more than 1.0 higher than usual though. Tiredness.

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Good morning :D

Sue

ebony321

Dislikes
Morning all,

mine was 9.3, i struggled to keep my BG's up the end of last night and was so tired i gave up, had a biscuit. Set a temp basal rate and went to sleep :(

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
5.5 this morning, not hungry but ate a piece of pork crackling and I was 5.5 -- 2.5 hours later.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
4.7 on waking and had gone up to 5.9 an hour later when i had breakfast.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
19.6 and I feel like I have been hit by a bus.
Number all over the place at the moment and even the DSN doesn't seem to be able to work out what is going on.
So as of last night we are trying something different, so far so bad :(

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
5.5 at 08:00 today. Yoghurt, berries and flax seed for breakfast, which was nice!

Viv 8)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, slept well mine was 10.5 still high I know ! ! :? thanks ebony for your thoughts n tips never knew the sodium thing with being so thirsty yesterday, learn something new everyday on here, its a learning curve with diabetes journey isnt it?. Yep am in for basal/bolus training 29th july. I did actually give my DSN a ring just missed her, left a message, am yet waiting for return call . Anna.x :)

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
i was a tad naughty last night and had some dolly mixture as a treat. they are amazing but pure suger. So BS this morning was 7.8 but totally worth it :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Glad you've come down a bit more now Anna :) Hope your DN gets in touch soon!

Oooh dolly mixtures, haven't had those in yonks! everyone deserves a treat every now and then :)

Pneu

Well came back from a long weekend away and some very bad eating (too many KFC's, burgers and general rubbish!) and some not so great blood sugars... had a 2hour reading of 12 mmol/l which may not seem all that high but is the highest reading I have had in 10 months!.. Anyway had an excellent time and enjoyed myself and once in a while isn't going to kill me..

Took most of yesterday to get my sugars re-balanced is amazing how much extra insulin I need when I run levels that are 3 - 4 mmol/l higher than normal but back to 5.3 mmol/l at breakfast this morning which I was happy with and a good day on the BG's so far...