What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,

@Flora123 -- I guess that one reason that they seem obsessed with fasting levels is that they are part of the official guidelines for diagnosing diabetes (though I have to admit my GP wasn't when initially fasting was still high, but HbA1c was normal).

My personal experience is though that for me fasting levels tend to set the tone for the entire day. So, if fasting blood sugars are higher, so are levels throughout the day. That's why they matter to me personally.

Do I believe that fasting blood sugars really matter in terms of health if they are a little elevated and drop throughout the day as they do for you? No, not really. Personally, I believe that what really does harm is if we repeatedly see very high spikes throughout the day (based on the discussion by Jenny Ruhl on her bloodsugar101 website).

By the way, when you say that you HCPs want it between 4 and 5, do you mean 5.0 mmol as a maximum?

Anyway, back to main purpose of this post. Fasting levels for me were 5.1.

You always speak such a lot of sense, I’m glad you are on this thread. You have such good bg control it’s always worth listening to your point of view.

Reactions: Gibbogluc

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Better late than never ... 6.9 this morning - expected after dark choc, peanut butter and almonds snack late last night (after work) but was so needed at the time as BG was 4.6 and I so needed something to eat at that time -what more can I say - not aloty

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 sigh. The last of the Deliciously Guilt Free raspberry bakewells (3G carbs) have gone now so if they are the culprit I should see an improvement. If it’s not them then It’s back to the drawing board.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Fasting blood sugars this morning were 5.0.

@DJC3 -- Agree with @PenguinMum and keep my finger crossed that it won't be the DGFs, which are causing the problem. Thank you also for your kind words yesterday.
@PenguinMum -- How are you doing? Are the last vestiges of Covid gone? Or do you sometimes still feel them returning?

notepadplusplus

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
4.6 mmol/L

No longer in ketosis either :( Had to load up on carbs over the weekend for my c-peptide test today. Not felt this miserable/tired/confused since I stopped eating carbs.

Reactions: philchap1

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Fasting blood sugars this morning were 5.0.

@DJC3 -- Agree with @PenguinMum and keep my finger crossed that it won't be the DGFs, which are causing the problem. Thank you also for your kind words yesterday.
@PenguinMum -- How are you doing? Are the last vestiges of Covid gone? Or do you sometimes still feel them returning?
Thanks for asking Ziggy..having a few blips but managing and hoping my BG will re allign sometime soon. Great FBG for you again.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1605088377984.jpg