What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

pinkjude

I always get a 10 or an 11 in the morning despite being low carb under 50g a day but often much less. No carbs with my last meal of the day, no eating after 8pm and rarely eat breakfast before 9.30 am. I was controlling BG well during the day but recently its all over the place. I walk a lot, drink water and do as much as I can. Still diet only after 5 years but worry that at my next review my DN will suggest Metformin. Do you have any other tips I can try?

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always get a 10 or an 11 in the morning despite being low carb under 50g a day but often much less. No carbs with my last meal of the day, no eating after 8pm and rarely eat breakfast before 9.30 am. I was controlling BG well during the day but recently its all over the place. I walk a lot, drink water and do as much as I can. Still diet only after 5 years but worry that at my next review my DN will suggest Metformin. Do you have any other tips I can try?
Make sure that low carbs doesn’t mean low fibre as well?

• Useful
Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could well be worth starting a thread outlining where those carbs come from and any changes to routine, meds or other factors - stress, bugs, poor sleep etc so more members could offer opinions/insights. Maybe a passing mod could help?

• Agree
Reactions: mojo37 and Ryhia

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you taken advantage of the Freestyle Libre 2 free sample? It might prove insightful.

• Useful
Reactions: ianpspurs

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke up to a tooth abscess and a startling FBG of 7.6??? Been in major pain all day but at least I've managed to arrange a dental appointment for tomorrow morning. I can't chew anything at the moment but perhaps I can pretend that the inadvertent fasting I have done today was deliberate.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so the abscess has caused a lump on my jaw like a pigeon's egg but bloods were measured at 6.0 this morning so very ok with that. Managed to arrange a dental appointment at my old dentists at10:55 today, I haven't been to the dentist since before the pandemic, so assumed I would have been de-registered when I checked I was still a person they wanted to know. 111 were no help whatsoever basically said the couldn't help and that getting an appointment with a dentist was like looking for gold dust. Just returned from my appointment clutching my prescription for some anti biotics so I'm a happy bod. Definitely a good day today.

Last edited: