what was your last hba1c

sbdoll

My last HBA1c was 7.2 and i feel like it should be better but I can't do it. Think I'm just feeling very negative about the diabetes at the moment. The Drs said it was good but then someone else was like, OMG ur over 7, that's bad. Bah. Whatever, I'm trying! :)

georgeachimbi

My last hba1c was 6 up from 5.7. I have to work harder to beat it lower. I have not been exercising enough these days due to the winter. Good enough spring and summer are at hand.

mdaddison

I've been type 1 for 16 years and always had hba1c results between 6.5 and 7.7 and that's always been fine with my consultants so, don't worry yourselves over it. As someone else said it's not a competition, we're all different.

type2andnew

My last test was 7.8 - You name it I'm trying it! Low carbs, alkaline diet, eating little and often. It's very tricky when I go out anywhere. My levels are sometimes really high up to 6 hours after eating - up to 12 or 14 which is not great I know, and sometimes for no apparent reason. How much does HbA1C tell us? Trying to understand. I guess I must be going very low at night! Any thoughts? Most of you seem to be doing great - well done

Adrian1

My hospital team says I must be contantly hypo as my resuts are 7 but my practice nurse says they are too high and the hospital too low. Who is right?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
An hba1c of 7% or under is better,Adrian, for trying to keep complications from starting.There are many on here,both type 1 and 2 who have much lower Hba1c's and ,by good control, do not hypo.

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Disappointingly my Hba1c was only 6.5% when pregnant and then shot up to 9.1%. After 3 months of trying to get it down, it is 8.7%. The docs are now thinking about putting me on a pump. I now have diabetic retinopathy due to the **** control I have.

DavidR

Something I've just come across regarding HbA1c:
http://acb.rsmjournals.com/cgi/content/full/45/4/343

Basically the values of HbA1c will be changing from % (as quoted in all the posts above) to mmol/mol in order to "promote international good care for diabetics" (isn't that what we should be getting anyway?). The two systems of reporting will run in parallel for at least two years; but I could find no start date in the articles.

http://www.nvug.org/news-item+M5a0592163e1.html shows a table of comparison between the UK current DCCT system and the new IFCC system:
Code:
DCCT-HbA1c            IFCC-HbA1C
 (%)                   (mmol/mol) 
 6.0                   42 
 6.5                   48 
 7.0                   53 
 7.5                   59 
 8.0                   64 
 9.0                   75

So who's going to be most confused: diabetics, GPs, DSNs, or the local pathology lab?

Now that really does make 42 the answer to life, the universe and everything...

nessa-lou

Dislikes
my injections
my last hba1c was 10.6% i tink around ten anyway so fingers crossed on wednesday ill find out what it was last time so i will see if i have beaten my record of three years at 10%!!!

jopar

DavidR

It starts this June from then on for the following two years you will be given the HbA1c’s results in both the % and the mmol/mol

Emma_goff

I feel really bad with what my hba1c is after reading everyones results, but without a doubt mine is getting better! It hasn't been below 13% for as long as i can remember, and my dr couldn't find a result lower then that in my notes. I started on the pump in September and my last hba1c was 10%!!!!! Not fantastic, but fantastic for me!!! :D :lol:

jopar

Hi emma

Don't feel guilty of your past results, after you can't change them, feel proud and good about yourself with the improvements that you've gained since starting the pump last september, as lowering your results by 3% is a very good achievements indeed so well done you..

6 months on a insulin pump isn't long at all, and you will find these figures improve even more has you get more used to the pump, and utilise the different features as you grow with experience and confidence using it..

Christess

Hi

Been type 1 since 2007 on nova rapid and levmir my first results where 12 then down to 6.7 three months later then was 6 then 5.7 and my last one in febuary was 5.4 i have been on a good diat and hat my isulin injections cut down so i think im doing well still new to all this

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
well done, youve done great :D :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya tall girl and good luck with those results :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
January 2009.....HbA1c ... 8.3%
March 2009....... ditto ... 7.7%
March 30th...... ditto ... 6.9%
April 14th........ ditto... 6.7%

All down to Diet and Byetta. :D