Whats everyones worst fall off the wagon?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LittleWolf said:
Well for someone who is not actually diagnosed as diabetic, underweight most of her life, an active ballet dancer, equestrian and gymnast without any assistance from doctors/medication, it is kind of unnerving and frustrating.. Trying to keep it all down and running smoothly all by myself :/

I am going to email my GP with that reading and ask if anyone is going to give a girl some help lol

30 is crazy... I'd rather not let it get up there @_@ I'm 20. If I'm experiencing mild complications with these levels now I knownI'd better put my foot down before I get like some of you guys (no offence)

We've all got to accept a blip and concentrate on working out how to fix it I guess. :3 *hugs all around*

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

You're getting 19.4 and not classed as diabetic?! Definitely worth mentioning to the doctor!!

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LittleWolf said:
And yup I know the I-started-It-got-to-finish-it habit too! I was always forced to finish what's on my plate as a child (starving people in Africa guilt trip) and even when I really don't want what's on the plate/in the bag I still feel compelled to finish or punishment will follow @_@

Glad it's not just me that thinks this way. It just means I have to try to be stronger and not open things like chocolate because I know what will follow. Low carbing is definitely helping with this and I don't get as many sweet cravings :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I dont fall off the wagon at all, I do have an occasional choc bar and I love fish n chips which I eat most weeks at home but I dont eat a lot of chips. I dont consider these things falling off the wagon as I dont limit myself to a very restrictive diet like some do.

I have said so many times that very few people can stick to any very restrictive diet which is why nothing is off the menu for me and because I eat what I want to eat and not what someone on a forum has told me I should eat I never have cravings for excluded foods, OK I never eat white bread but then I prefer the taste of wholegrain so thats not a problem and I rarely eat pasta now but thats hardly the end of the world and if I do want some I eat it :D

Because I cant fall off the wagon, I never have feelings of guilt. Live is good :D

ps.
equipoise said:
Even if you don't tell anyone, your pancreas will find out -- he always does - and then he'll go and tell your retina, and your toes, and your kidneys. Try to be strong - it is SO easy for occasional indulgence to become a habit... :roll:

If you truly believe that you really need to lighten up a bit, no one has ever lost a toe or gone blind from eating an occasional treat. It might not be a good idea while you are newly diagnosed and struggling but once bg control is gained an occasional treat is not a problem.

If you cant have an occasional treat without it turning into a habit then you need to work on your self control, and if you dont have any self control then you are never going to stay on a restrictive diet are you? It might be better to find out what portions of foods you can eat so that nothing is off the menu, then you wouldnt get cravings.

WhitbyJet

I havent fallen off the wagon in 6 years, I enjoy my food, dont have cravings, completely accepted my low(er) carb lifestyle, but maybe I am lucky in that I have never had a sweet tooth, and never liked chips all that much either, love my fish though. However up here the batter is very thin and fish is fried in dripping, I eat that with a huge salad or vegetables, doesnt spike me at all,

If people have cravings, they will eventually fall off the wagon, life is too short to torture yourself over food.

equipoise

Sid Bonkers said:
ps.
equipoise said:
Even if you don't tell anyone, your pancreas will find out -- he always does - and then he'll go and tell your retina, and your toes, and your kidneys. Try to be strong - it is SO easy for occasional indulgence to become a habit... :roll:

If you truly believe that you really need to lighten up a bit, no one has ever lost a toe or gone blind from eating an occasional treat. It might not be a good idea while you are newly diagnosed and struggling but once bg control is gained an occasional treat is not a problem.

If you cant have an occasional treat without it turning into a habit then you need to work on your self control, and if you dont have any self control then you are never going to stay on a restrictive diet are you? It might be better to find out what portions of foods you can eat so that nothing is off the menu, then you wouldnt get cravings.

Oh come off it -- you know that's not what I was saying. I was trying to make the basic point that diabetics need to be aware that whatever we eat has implications, and too much talk of having occasional treats and falling off waggons runs the risk of occasional treats becoming regular expectations. It is excellent that you have such good control, and once you have this fully established then you know you can have the occasional treat with no side-effects, but as we all know most diabetics do not have good control. ALL diabetics are on restrictive diets, as you well know -- please don't conflate these restrictions with LCHF or similar. I'm honestly not looking for an argument -- just trying to help, as I know you are too. Can we call it a draw? :D

A

Anonymous

equipoise said:
Sid Bonkers said:
ps.
equipoise said:

Oh come off it -- you know that's not what I was saying. I was trying to make the basic point that diabetics need to be aware that whatever we eat has implications, and too much talk of having occasional treats and falling off waggons runs the risk of occasional treats becoming regular expectations. It is excellent that you have such good control, and once you have this fully established then you know you can have the occasional treat with no side-effects, but as we all know most diabetics do not have good control. ALL diabetics are on restrictive diets, as you well know -- please don't conflate these restrictions with LCHF or similar. I'm honestly not looking for an argument -- just trying to help, as I know you are too. Can we call it a draw? :D

I agree with Sid Bonkers, except the point that all diabetics are on a restrictive diet (I am T2 and not), but some have to or choose to be. The only restrictions I have is stuff I don't like particularly like which, typically, are the things that others crave or refer to as a 'treat'. A treat for me is a juicy sweet apple with blue stilton which I treat myself to just about every day. As you say, a trip to the local Indian now and again is not going to harm a T2 on diet control.

Ladybirdy75

Being on a pump i guess "technically" i can counteract any naughty carbs with a bolus of insulin but i do generally try and eat very healthily. I'm on the Slimming World plan as i'm trying to lose weight (lost 14lb since April) and that particular diet is very condusive to the diabetic diet and BG's. i'm quite lucky as i really do love healthy foods but give me a pack of Rich Tea biscuits and a cuppa and they'd be gone in 60 seconds ha ha. They are not allowed in the house. With all that said, what with dieting, exercise, a new more laborius job and trying to adjust basal rates etc my last HbA1c was way high :-S

suehatton

Back to work tomorrow. Total stress-fest but the busy-ness means I havent been snacking at work. So hopefully back to the plan. I agree with a lot of things that have been said on this thread. We all have to find a way to eat for the rest of our lives that satisfies our nutritional needs, our diabetic needs and our human need for treats and its a bit of an ask, but very do-able. Ive had a weight problem all of my life - 47 years of it and I guess its a bit unrealistic and niaive to think Im going to resolve all that in one year by eating a bit more chicken. Its going to take an extensive change of habit and, as my optician said yesterday, its not just about the now, its about the next 3 decades and more.
So eat it if you need it, dont let it become a habit like the ones that got us in this situation in the first place, and recognise its a marathon and not a sprint.
Im sure we all have plenty of wagon falling ahead of us. I hope were not just giving each other tips!!

Ladybirdy75

Well said Suehatton :) Yes back to work for me tomorrow too. It's so much easier to stay on track at work isn't it. Have you tried the Slimming World plan? I've lost 14lbs now since the beginning of April. I've always struggled with my weight too. I'm on a mission to do up my wedding dress for next April lol.

hornplayer

:) I think that if we were looking for tips on eating badly, we wouldn't be here. - just realised how many different ways that statement can be read! LOL - what I mean is, we'd be down the pub or out scoffing icecream, instead of offering each other help and support.

No one can be saintly all the time.

Also, we set our own boundaries. One persons cheating is another's well earned treat, or even a part of their every day diet. Surely it's up to us to know when something in us needs that little bit of something else? We know, through monitoring, how far to go and how far is too far. We learn constantly.

I may be completely off track here, but isn't a tiny bit of something, now and again, better than getting more and more screwed up and saying "stuff it, I'll eat what everyone else does"? Again, if we hadn't worked out that eating badly - or crash dieting, was a bad idea, we wouldn't be on this forum.

What I'm trying to say, clumsily, is that I like this thread. It's reassuring. It's got a streak of humour, and loads of support. It's wonderfully human. Thank you all for contributing to it.

suehatton

Well what a fantastic incentive. My sister has been married 30 years in October and her mission is to weigh the same as she did on her wedding day. 2 stone to go, what a romantic goal!
Dont really like ' organised' slimming clubs but Ive seen the plan and it seems diabetes friendly. I guess Im not looking fir a diet more of a change of lifestyle.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
gezzathorpe said:
I agree with Sid Bonkers, except the point that all diabetics are on a restrictive diet (I am T2 and not),

I never said that Gezza, that was equipoise who is wrong IMHO, only those diabetics who want to be on a restrictive diet need eat that way.

What I have said on numerous occasions is that restrictive diets do not work in the long term and there is lots of evidence to to support that stance, in fact it is the reason why low carb diets are generally only useful in the short term ie. 6 to 12 months. You only have to read this or any other forum and see how many threads there are titled something along the lines of "weight loss stalled on low carb diet" or "low carbing and not loosing weight".

Diabetes is for life and every diabetic needs to find a lifestyle that will work for them for life not just for a few months, that is what I have said and still say. If that life style is low carb then fine but it has to be for life.

A

Anonymous

Sid Bonkers said:
gezzathorpe said:
I agree with Sid Bonkers, except the point that all diabetics are on a restrictive diet (I am T2 and not),

I never said that Gezza, that was equipoise who is wrong IMHO, only those diabetics who want to be on a restrictive diet need eat that way.

What I have said on numerous occasions is that restrictive diets do not work in the long term and there is lots of evidence to to support that stance, in fact it is the reason why low carb diets are generally only useful in the short term ie. 6 to 12 months. You only have to read this or any other forum and see how many threads there are titled something along the lines of "weight loss stalled on low carb diet" or "low carbing and not loosing weight".

Diabetes is for life and every diabetic needs to find a lifestyle that will work for them for life not just for a few months, that is what I have said and still say. If that life style is low carb then fine but it has to be for life.

Apologies for that ... I sometimes get my knickers in a twist when replying with quotes, :oops:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No need to apologise at all. Sometimes reading a thread we all get confused over who said what, I just wanted to put the record straight :D

equipoise

[quote="

Apologies for that ... I sometimes get my knickers in a twist when replying with quotes, :oops:[/quote]

No need to apologise for agreeing with me! :D In saying that all diabetics are on a restricted diet I simply meant that we all in some way or another restrict what we eat -- and that goes for Sid with his reduced portion size as well. And as we are all in some sense restricting our diet, so we all need a bit of encouragement to do so. And I would think that that means encouraging people not to feel bad about an occasional treat, but also encouraging them to do it within the context of careful control, and making sure they know what they are doing. I have not said 'low carb' at any point. :roll: