Whats the most annoying thing people say about diabetes?

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
I hate going to a restaurant and telling them I am diabetic and they insist that the best meal for me is one with brown high carb foods

I dont bother mentioning diabetes now - I just tell them that i want extra low carb meal

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Do the restaurants really recommend meals to you? That's mad... You should say you're allergic to starch! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
DON'T tell people, it really is not their business, that includes after diagnosis most gp's and hcp's and deffo the diabetes clinic at wsh that I have been in contact with, advice from the Neolithic period ! Jobs for the nhs boys and girls.A fit and healthy nation is no good to them.

People are mostly ignorant of the disease. Just carry on and keep calm, eat the bits of a meal that suit you and pretend that you have diahorrea ( never could spell that flaming word ! ) and don't want to embarrass THEM ! They will probably stay well clear of you !

Would you tell people that you have genital warts ?

Nough said.

Superchip

LaughingHyena

Probably the number of people who have asked "where is your epi pen, just in case?" It's nice that allergy awareness is growing but no I don't have an epi pen and please don't inject me with anything, ever!

I could also live without any stories about a friend/collegue/negbour/random person on the street collapsing due to their diabetes. This is aimed especially at my gran, who for some reason thinks I'm going to collapse at any moment.

Assegai

I lost quite a lot of weight since being diagnosed, (Worked hard in the gym combined with low carb high protein diet...), Now people are constantly overflowing with sympathy because the diabetes made me lose so much weight. I'm tired of explaining that rapid weight loss might be a sign of uncontrolled or undiagnosed diabetes. Mine is under perfect control, I lost weight because of the fact that I have worked my @$$ off at the gym and eat intelligently!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. To add to my previous post it really annoys me when the media, including my current diabetes GP, say as a diabetic you should have a normal healthy diet (whatever that is). I suspect they mean the 'Eatwell plate' loaded with starchy carbs where starchy means loads of bread, pasta etc. I had to email a certain diet expert in the Sunday Telegraph Life pages recently to 'correct' her understanding and did refrain from raging at my GP when I was presenting with an HBa1c over 7.00 and rising and she said I shouldn't be starving myself thru low-carbing; ignorance is bliss....

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
well, my pet hate is being told that I don't LOOK like a diabetic ............ Whatever that is supposed to mean.

I suspect, the general perception is that diabetic people are overweight - so that's a misconception which I find unfair, to thin diabetics and to heavier diabetics who get blamed for being diabetic because of their weight.

my other gripe, is that yes, I am a trim diabetic and that there is so much more to being diabetic than weight.

I'm trim because I work very very hard to eat well and exercise properly. :roll: :

papagran40

this might not be what you want on the forums but it really annoys me when some idiot says ...oh I have heard you get gangrine with that or you can lose a leg or it can kill you...all this from people who have no idea about diabetes...is it any wonder we sometimes feel a little down............papa.

Claricus

When I was newly diagnosed my "friend" came out with the worst response I have ever heard:
"Oh well, at least it's not cancer"
No, I just have a chronic illness for the rest of my life (which is a long time when you're 19)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I used to see a DSN at my local surgery and each time I visited she would say 'your looking really well' I hated that because I'm just diabetic I'm not ill!

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
"When my sugars are low 'do you need more insulin' "

Ha ha, yes my colleagues always seem confused about this. "What do I do if you're passed out?" Er, call an ambulance, like you would with anyone...?!

I confess, I am quite a sensitive person and like to keep myself to myself so sometimes if my colleagues detect I am being a bit quiet or slightly moody they usually mutter "must be her sugar level...". Oh that grates on me! Even if it might, on occasion, be true... :?

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LemonTree said:
"When my sugars are low 'do you need more insulin' "

Ha ha, yes my colleagues always seem confused about this. "What do I do if you're passed out?" Er, call an ambulance, like you would with anyone...?!

I confess, I am quite a sensitive person and like to keep myself to myself so sometimes if my colleagues detect I am being a bit quiet or slightly moody they usually mutter "must be her sugar level...". Oh that grates on me! Even if it might, on occasion, be true... :?

Must admit that reminds me of a conversation my partner had with my son before xmas, my son wanted to buy me a necklace and my partner explained that i only wear one necklace and its has his info on it incase i ever got poorly with my sugars so they could phone him and ask what to do, my son's reply was' take her to the hospital Dumbo'
Had me laughing as wouldnt expect him to come out with that

scarey1

I have had a work colleague ask me if my newly diagnosed 15 year old son was fat and playing on computer games all the time ... emm...no... he is 5foot 9 inches weighs less than 8 stone and runs cross country for his city and county!!!!!

Riversidegirl

Dislikes
Scare stories!
"I'm soooooo sorry" :(

I think "What the hell for!!!!!????"

Do they know something that I don't???

I find this reeeeeeeelly patronising.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I think it's unrealistic to expect non-diabetics to understand the machinations of diabetes. How many of us would know what to say to anyone afflicted with any of these medical conditions - http://www.buzzle.com/articles/diseases-and-disorders/

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with medical conditions we haven't a clue about so why expect others to know the ins and outs of diabetes or to know exactly what to say to a diabetic?

I'm T2 diagnosed in August 2012 and I'm just about getting my head around understanding it myself. :roll:

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
Superchip said:
DON'T tell people, it really is not their business, that includes after diagnosis most gp's and hcp's and deffo the diabetes clinic at wsh that I have been in contact with, advice from the Neolithic period ! Jobs for the nhs boys and girls.A fit and healthy nation is no good to them.

People are mostly ignorant of the disease. Just carry on and keep calm, eat the bits of a meal that suit you and pretend that you have diahorrea ( never could spell that flaming word ! ) and don't want to embarrass THEM ! They will probably stay well clear of you !

Would you tell people that you have genital warts ?

Nough said.

Superchip

rofl

hahahaha

Kerry-Michelle

My pet hate is like many peoples hates on here:

Are you big because you have diabetes?? Or are you sure your type 1?? Or being called a druggie cause I inject.... just general fuss about diabetes drives me crazy.. Especially when people think they know all about it when they don't.. When people say well my friend is diabetic and they don't do what you do my answer is they have a different type of diabetes and everybody is different so a persons diabetes is unique to themselves...

Also when I ask the person at the bar of the restaurant is that deffinately diet coke and she replies I'm not sure even though she's just poured it.. And she tries to make me take it and I have to explain I cannot have "normal" coke.. And when they moan about it to the the girls on the bar and I can hear it.. It annoys me so when my other half orders another drink with our meal he will explain that I'm diabetic and the normal stuff will make me go to high...

Sooo annoying...

Always look on the bright side of life I guess..

Kerry x

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
"Did you eat a lot of sugar as a child then?" "Were you fat as a child?" Why, yes. My dad was a horribly incompetent parent who just shoved sugar cubes in my mouth at breakfast, lunch and dinner and then for supper we had warm golden syrup as a bedtime drink. :roll: I was really skinny as a child - went down to 2st 7oz at 12 years old when I got diagnosed because of the diabetes so either I lost a -lot- of weight or I didn't weigh much in the first place - and didn't eat a lot of sweets.