when do you change cartridge? :]

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My alarm is set for 5u, and depending on what I'm doing between then and zero units I find that sometimes I can last until a fraction of a unit is left. The other morning I completely forgot I was running on fumes so took my breakfast bolus without the whole amount being available - the clever thing then carried on with that bolus as soon as I'd changed and primed!

So that was good - but next time I'll be slightly more empty-aware........

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My alarm is set for 5u, and depending on what I'm doing between then and zero units I find that sometimes I can last until a fraction of a unit is left. The other morning I completely forgot I was running on fumes so took my breakfast bolus without the whole amount being available - the clever thing then carried on with that bolus as soon as I'd changed and primed!

So that was good - but next time I'll be slightly more empty-aware........
haha yeh im sitting on 20 now but i don't want to change till tomorrow when i got my canulla change too >.<

Reactions: 4 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do mine at 20u, if I don't do it when the alarm beeps then I forget to do it and it's too late!
I wish mine was clever enough to carry on with a bolus after a change!

Claire x

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had no clue that it did until it happened, @claire1991 - I was v impressed with it! Am not going to make a habit of such last-minute behaviour, though!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
My alarm goes off at 25 units, but I am a religious 3 day person, was told it goes stale after that and I'm not prepared to test that theory ;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh, I didn't know about the staleness thing - is that the case just for refillable reservoirs or also for prefilled? My pump uses prefilled 160u cartridges and that's too much for three days - I'd hate it to be wasted.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
omnipod is fixed at 3 days so i change every 3 days in the mornings

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Snapsy mine uses refillable reservoirs, I think it's more to do with the tubing set up of the pump affecting the stability of the insulin, it's not worth prolonging the cartridge or reservoir for the sake of a day or so, best to change regularly as routine. I also try to change in the mornings too @himtoo so if something has gone wrong I can put right quickly, if you do it at night then you run the risk of going to sleep and waking high if there's an issue.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I wait until almost empty Alarm is set 10 units as this is the lowest it can be set at. Once the alarm goes off I remove insulin from fridge and place it where I can see it so don't forget to refill.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My alarm is set for 20 units. I like that bit of a cushion so I have flexibility about when to change it rather than a OMG I've only got two units left : D

Having said that, I used to be very bad with changing the cartridge in my pen when it got to the red line : D

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Juicyj - thanks for clarifying - I hadn't really thought about the insulin stability, and I can't even remember what they said to me about that aspect on my pump start - I must've written it down, so I'll have a look!

It takes me around 6 days to get through a cartridge-worth of insulin, which works out pretty well with the advised schedule of a new cannula every 3 days and a new hosepipe every 6 days, because that generally adds up to when I need to renew the cartridge anyway.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Juicyj - thanks for clarifying - I hadn't really thought about the insulin stability, and I can't even remember what they said to me about that aspect on my pump start - I must've written it down, so I'll have a look!

It takes me around 6 days to get through a cartridge-worth of insulin, which works out pretty well with the advised schedule of a new cannula every 3 days and a new hosepipe every 6 days, because that generally adds up to when I need to renew the cartridge anyway.
i got told to change my insulin every 3 days mine only lasts 3 days anyway haha!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do change about every 6 days. That's how long one cartridge lasts but it really depends how carby my meals are. Ive never heard about insulin going stale and I think it would be a massive waste to change it every 3 days.
I have my alarm s set for 25 units which I keep forgetting to change to 10 units. 25u is a whole day for me so definitely too early warning

moodwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I change my cartridge every 6 days as it holds 315units which was equivalent to 8days when I was on pens, or 36hours when I was pregnant . I do change my cannula every 3 days though so I'm not totally cavalier about it.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The problem is supposed to be with plastic reservoirs. The insulin in glass ones won't go stale after 3 days.

I change my reservoir every 2 days, when I change my set. The amount of insulin left varies but my alarm is set for twenty units.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have just read the blurb on the outside of the NovoRapid PumpCart box (5 x 1.6ml cartridges):

Carried as a spare: Can be kept for up to two weeks below 30 degrees C
Every time I change the cartridge I take the next one out of the fridge to put in my bag as that cartridge will then be my carry-around-with-me spare as well as it being my next cartridge, so that's fine - it's always less than two weeks.

During use in pump: Use within 7 days. Do not refrigerate. Store below 37 degrees C
I don't know about anybody else but my body temperature (I wear my pump against my body during the day) often exceeds 37 degrees C! I do use it all up within the 7 days, though.

Glad to report that whether I'm overheating the insulin or not, I've had no problems yet with its efficacy. Will be vigilant, though - I'm very glad I saw this thread, as it's shown me that there are things I need to be aware of.

:)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The problem is supposed to be with plastic reservoirs. The insulin in glass ones won't go stale after 3 days.

I change my reservoir every 2 days, when I change my set. The amount of insulin left varies but my alarm is set for twenty units.

Yes, I was told the insulin can degrade in plastic.

More proof that it was silly to do away with the only pump that takes a normal 3ml glass pen cartridge. No worries with insulin degrading in that.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aha - this thread has reminded to check, and I have just noticed that I have only a gnat's crotchet of 2.91u left - just fishing out next hosepipe and cartridge now.... My 5u 'pinger' went off this morning to remind me, but it's been such a busy day that I haven't got round to it until now.

:shy: