When Does the Thirst and Peeing Stop?

LeafyArts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, this is embarrassing, but here goes:
I was diagnosed in January this year and have managed to bring my morning meter readings down from 12 to mostly in the 6s, which is great, but I am still peeing a lot and waking up a million times in the night to pee. Wondering if anyone can tell me whether this will settle down some time soon? I am sure I am drinking a sensible amount of fluid, not too much and not too little judging by the colour of said pee.:confused:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked your after meal BG levels to see if you are getting elevated levels after eating?
I went low carb after diagnosis and noticed a change in the frequency of visits to the loo in a very short time, just days later.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
You appear not to be taking any medication which would cause excess glucose to be peed out, just metformin So if your Blood Glucose levels have returned to normal as you report, then I can't see why your waterworks should not have returned to normal.
Could it be a UTI or some other non-diabetes related problem?

Reactions: LeafyArts

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on anything other than metformin?

LeafyArts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you checked your after meal BG levels to see if you are getting elevated levels after eating?
I went low carb after diagnosis and noticed a change in the frequency of visits to the loo in a very short time, just days later.
As I am now eating low carb, the levels are well within the range of a rise of 2. I am wondering if low carb makes one thirstier?

LeafyArts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You appear not to be taking any medication which would cause excess glucose to be peed out, just metformin So if your Blood Glucose levels have returned to normal as you report, then I can't see why your waterworks should not have returned to normal.
Could it be a UTI or some other non-diabetes related problem?
No UTI, I am sure, maybe I have just developed a peeing habit and it is just in my head that I need to pee all the time. In this warmer weather, my sleep has been a bit disrupted too.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Personally, I wouldn't assume that the issue is necessarily caused by diabetes, given your levels have come down. Maybe it's time to chat to your GP about other possibilities?

Hezzal

No UTI, I am sure, maybe I have just developed a peeing habit and it is just in my head that I need to pee all the time. In this warmer weather, my sleep has been a bit disrupted too.

I’ve had several friends who’ve sought treatment for sleeplessness caused by waking up needing to pee. The advice was that you have to train yourself out of it… unless you’re drinking loads before you go to bed, your body should be able to go happily through the night…So you have to resist the urge to get up and pee and make yourself relax back into sleep. Even if you can’t sleep, still resist. It took one friend 2 weeks to reset to the point that they were no longer waking up in the night…

Reactions: CaminoTurtle

LeafyArts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had several friends who’ve sought treatment for sleeplessness caused by waking up needing to pee. The advice was that you have to train yourself out of it… unless you’re drinking loads before you go to bed, your body should be able to go happily through the night…So you have to resist the urge to get up and pee and make yourself relax back into sleep. Even if you can’t sleep, still resist. It took one friend 2 weeks to reset to the point that they were no longer waking up in the night…
Thank you - I am working on it!

Reactions: Hezzal

Claudia 1961

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went up to 2000g metformin and added Januvia . The peeing stoped. I go once a night. I thought I had a peeing habit too. For like 20 years! My hba1c never went past 5.6 because I was eating low carbohydrates but endocrinologist said you ARE diabetic and it’s not your fault. My doctor doesn’t even believe her. I think it’s the diabetes needing more help that will stop the problem.

LeafyArts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went up to 2000g metformin and added Januvia . The peeing stoped. I go once a night. I thought I had a peeing habit too. For like 20 years! My hba1c never went past 5.6 because I was eating low carbohydrates but endocrinologist said you ARE diabetic and it’s not your fault. My doctor doesn’t even believe her. I think it’s the diabetes needing more help that will stop the problem.
Thanks Claudia, that is very interesting, results are in that it isn't a UTI anyway. The peeing isn't just during the night, it is during the day as well and I hope I can reduce it a bit, it is very inconvenient!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you - I am working on it!
What might help with the bladder training, and sounds insane in this weather: a hot water bottle on your bladder at night. It'll help it relax a little so you don't feel urgency as much when there isn't any, not really. (I ended up with a hot watter bottle on my belly and a coldpack in my neck, haha).

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are other conditions which can cause the same symptoms, such as irritable bladder syndrome or vaginal atrophy. Some people have both of these, but there are medications available to help manage them.

I'm not medically trained or saying you have either of them, but I'd suggest discussing it with your gp.

LeafyArts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What might help with the bladder training, and sounds insane in this weather: a hot water bottle on your bladder at night. It'll help it relax a little so you don't feel urgency as much when there isn't any, not really. (I ended up with a hot watter bottle on my belly and a coldpack in my neck, haha).
LOL, I will try that in winter! Sorry about your neck.

• Friendly
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

LeafyArts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are other conditions which can cause the same symptoms, such as irritable bladder syndrome or vaginal atrophy. Some people have both of these, but there are medications available to help manage them.

I'm not medically trained or saying you have either of them, but I'd suggest discussing it with your gp.
Thank you, I hadn't heard of either of those and now the urine test has come back clear, I can see if I can get an appointment with the GP some time this year. :rolleyes:

• Friendly
Reactions: Hopeful34

Mini Dachs Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have had some great advice. Mine is, you also pee frequently if you are dehydrated. It’s your bodies way to tell you to drink more. Can mean the difference between getting up for a pee every hour to a full nights sleep for me.