When will levels go down

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm sorry to ask yet another question, how many days until I should see my levels become 'normal'?
I have been virtually carb free for 3 days but my bg is higher than when I started? I just had a reading of 29.2mmo/l ketone which I'm sure is pretty high?
I'm sure it's different for everyone, was just hoping for a rough idea?
Thanks in advance

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Ask all the questions you want - its nice to pass on information that I've acquired over the years to help other people :)

It differs from person to person.- so its hard to say - but if you are carb free for three days I'd have thought you would have seen at least some kind of decrease.

What have you been eating over the last 24 hours? Carbs are hidden in so many different foods.

Reactions: Loukay1

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ask all the questions you want - its nice to pass on information that I've acquired over the years to help other people :)

It differs from person to person.- so its hard to say - but if you are carb free for three days I'd have thought you would have seen at least some kind of decrease.

What have you been eating over the last 24 hours? Carbs are hidden in so many different foods.
I been having poached eggs & Ham for breakfast, some chicken with a bit salad for lunch & chicken with some vegetables for dinner, no snacks & only unflavoured bottled water?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry to ask yet another question, how many days until I should see my levels become 'normal'?
I have been virtually carb free for 3 days but my bg is higher than when I started? I just had a reading of 29.2mmo/l ketone which I'm sure is pretty high?
I'm sure it's different for everyone, was just hoping for a rough idea?
Thanks in advance

That's a high level @Loukay1 If it was me, I'd speak to a nurse or doctor and get some medical imput.

Are you on any meds at all?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. At that level you need to see the GP or even go to A&E if you start to feel unwell or the level goes even higher. That level with low-carb implies you may be T1 and not T2 and needing insulin. Drink plenty of water.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. At that level you need to see the GP or even go to A&E if you start to feel unwell or the level goes even higher. That level with low-carb implies you may be T1 and not T2 and needing insulin. Drink plenty of water.
Thanks, I've not been feeling good for a long time but after advice from here I bought a monitor and started testing & found I was between 16 & 20 but after 3 days I thought I'd go down a little, had reading of 21.1 before brunch/early lunch then tested 2 hours later at 29.2?
See how it goes the rest of the day

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You need an urgent appointment..@Loukay1.
Those levels are not good and are not going to come down without medication of some sort.

Please speak to a GP today.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I agree with the others - you urgently need to see your doctor or go to A&E today. Take your BG diary and meter with you when you go. x

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You need an urgent appointment..@Loukay1.
Those levels are not good and are not going to come down without medication of some sort.

Please speak to a GP today.
Do you think it's that bad? I don't want to waste my doctors time, I'll never get an appointment with her today but I'll try & get a phone conversation with her, thanks

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree with the others - you urgently need to see your doctor or go to A&E today. Take your BG diary and meter with you when you go. x
Thank you, will give gp surgery a phone & see if I can talk to someone

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try halving your protein (without adding any carbs) or fasting drinking lots of water and some good quality stock. And see your GP, ask about SGLT2 inhibitors and to be tested to see if you have Type1. Your BG are high enough to justify some day emergency appointment with the GP.

And drink a lot of water along with a little salt, maybe a stock cube in a cup of hot water a few time a day.

If your BG doesn't come down today go to A&E (there is no point using NHS 111 for this as they don't have the test equipment.)

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try halving your protein (without adding any carbs) or fasting drinking lots of water and some good quality stock. And see your GP, ask about SGLT2 inhibitors and to be tested to see if you have Type1. Your BG are high enough to justify some day emergency appointment with the GP.

And drink a lot of water along with a little salt, maybe a stock cube in a cup of hot water a few time a day.

If your BG doesn't come down today go to A&E (there is no point using NHS 111 for this as they don't have the test equipment.)
Ok I will do, thanks for your advice, if I'm not eating anything else, I've got boulion so may have some later, when would I test again?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Speak to GP. Dont take no.... tell them you will go to A&E as unplanned admittance unless you get help today..

Please do it now.

Reactions: Chook and Loukay1

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Loukay1

I hope you've spoken to GP and they made an urgent appt and seen you?

Please let us know you are ok.. xx