Which diabetes charity?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, so each year the company I work for decides to support a charity and does some fundraising type stuff (don't know how much is ever raised, possibly not that much, but something is better than nothing right), anyways, they normally ask for suggestions, so its that time of year where they have asked, they can be national (ie UK) or local charities (Marlow) - so I thought I suggest a diabetes charity.
They also want a reason why to support them so I'll have to think on that one - I don't think they'll accept 'Just because' :)

So any suggestions? Thoughts I've had so far are Diabetes UK, or JDRF.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Admittedly one of the events that they normally do is a 'Bake Off' type thing that isn't really that diabetic friendly and I never buy anything anyway cos very little of it is gluten-free, but nevermind.

Reactions: Muneeb

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The two you mentioned are well recognized, so it would provide a good platform.

Reasons why... Where can we start, well that depends if you are focusing on type 1 or 2 or general awarenss of all.

There is so much misconception around the world regarding diabetes, especially with type 1, people don't know how much it affects ones life and its a constant struggle. Peoples misconception that its all due to bad diet and no exercise, when thousands of people have developed diabetes from young to old, with no previous health issues or family history. Only another diabetic understands how much it requires, everyday.

Literally eating can lead to detrimental health implications and then counteracting it with insulin/medication has its own complications. Its a constant balance and its relentless, you don't get a day off where you don't have to worry about it. No two days are the same and what you do one day won't necessarily work the next. As far as treatments have come, they are still not advanced enough to let diabetics lead a truly trouble free life. The only solution to this is a cure which JDRF are set-up to do.

Yes it can be managed, but as easy as some people make it look, through shear determination, doesn't detract from the fact it requires lifelong management (I hate using the word disease or chronic). To most peoples amazement they may not even know some people around them are diabetic. I always get the astounded look with comments along the lines of 'but you don't look diabetic', I've even had "If I got diabetes, seeing you it wouldn't bother me, as it doesn't seem to affect you" Well just because I manage it, doesn't mean I don't worry about it everyday, but my health is in my hands, and the perception and social norms just don't help a diabetic manage it easily.

Sorry for the long post, but if I could swap everything I owned for a cure tomorrow, I would do. That's considering I do thankfully manage my condition very well.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is so much misconception around the world regarding diabetes, especially with type 1, people don't know how much it affects ones life and its a constant struggle. Peoples misconception that its all due to bad diet and no exercise, when thousands of people have developed diabetes from young to old, with no previous health issues or family history. Only another diabetic understands how much it requires, everyday.
Yes exactly :)

Literally eating can lead to detrimental health implications and then counteracting it with insulin/medication has its own complications. Its a constant balance and its relentless, you don't get a day off where you don't have to worry about it. No two days are the same and what you do one day won't necessarily work the next. As far as treatments have come, they are still not advanced enough to let diabetics lead a truly trouble free life. The only solution to this is a cure which JDRF are set-up to do.
Yeah I think that's why I was vaguely leaning towards JDRF rather than Diabetes UK, whilst both are good, I'm T1 and I want a cure - I'm sick of this unpredictable thing and I think I (and all the other T1's as well) deserve a break :)

but if I could swap everything I owned for a cure tomorrow, I would do.
So would I :), and thankyou very much for your response, they're pretty much the same thoughts as mine, but you've worded it much better than I could ever manage :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Rokaab I raise money for both, but in different ways, JDRF is my preferred charity though as they are actively supporting research into finding a cure amongst lots of other T1 research specific work, they also do events to bring t1's together throughout the country.

I shake a bucket when asked though for Diabetes UK outside Tescos too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ok, so each year the company I work for decides to support a charity and does some fundraising type stuff (don't know how much is ever raised, possibly not that much, but something is better than nothing right), anyways, they normally ask for suggestions, so its that time of year where they have asked, they can be national (ie UK) or local charities (Marlow) - so I thought I suggest a diabetes charity.
They also want a reason why to support them so I'll have to think on that one - I don't think they'll accept 'Just because' :)

So any suggestions? Thoughts I've had so far are Diabetes UK, or JDRF.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hi, you could start with - Diabetes is an unseen medical condition and it's a life long chronic condition, with no known cure in the foreseeable future, but with funding and research it could bring hope to so many. As you are type 1 you could highlight what a day or a week entails, also high lighting that very young children are diagnosed with type 1.
Number of injections, finger pricks, illness, depression, burn out, eating disorder's the list goes on.
I must admit JDRF were great and very supportive when my granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years.