Which yoghurt?

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm trying to get to like yoghurt as it appears to be a possible option for taking to work. I'm in the UK so for those who are in the UK - which actual yoghurt do you get?

I found ASDA's own brand of full fat strawberry yoghurt seems to be low in carbs but I'm not sure about the sugar. It's a while ago since I saw it and I can't find it on their website at the moment.

I already hate yoghurt but I'm trying to get a taste for it so would like strawberry if I can find it.

It's very difficult to stand in a supermarket looking at labels.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any full fat, plain yoghurt with nothing added. Most are low fat with fruit syrups in. The easiest thing to do is look on the pot for the carb content.

If you don’t like it, don’t eat it.

Reactions: Orangeteddy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any full fat plain yogurt, preferably Greek yogurt.
You can add your own strawberries or raspberries, nuts, seeds. (Just a couple of berries mind, not a whole bag full!!)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want flavoured yoghurts the Danone Free and Light Range are nice. The strawberry one is 7.8g carbs per pot, no added sugar. They do contain sweetners and are low fat so depends how you feel about that.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm now trying the dairy free ones with blueberries.. not that many more carbs in 100ml for some makes.

Would rather ensure I get the antixodiants now by going to dairy free with blueberries..

D

Deleted Account

One thing I take into consideration when buying yoghurt is checking they are vegetarian (I am a veggie).
Quite a few contain gelatine.
Not a problem for meat eaters but a surprise entry for veggies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For those willing to try soya products, the Alpro plant-based range are good. They do plain, coconut and vanilla flavours; suitable for vegan; sold in 500g tubs, cost about £1.50 - £1.70, depending where you buy them. I find them not as tart as greek yoghurts, which I don't like.

Recently Alpro have introduced a new Plain Unsweetened variety, that has 43 cals per 100g, zero carbs/sugars, 4g protein, 2.3g fat. So far I've only found them on sale in Sainsbury's, cost £1.50 per tub.

I like them because they don't add anything to my daily carb allowance. :)

Reactions: Incyb

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sainsburys sell a range of coconut yoghurts which I quite like, but they are quite expensive so I don't buy them often. You could try sheeps milk yoghurt which has a different taste to cows milk yoghurt. I have that most mornings with a few berrys.

Barriergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For something different, try Greek full fat natural yoghurt with grated cucumber. Squeeze the water from the grated cucumber, add some salt, mint and the yoghurt. It is so refreshing.
Or cook and strain spinach and add that to yoghurt with a little bit of salt. No pepper in either, maybe a bit of lemon juice if you like
Both easy to eat on its own or as a accompaniment.

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm loving all the suggestions - considering I hate yoghurt! If anyone is wondering why I'm persisting with yoghurt, I think it is a great snack item that is useful for me to take to work or eat at any time and especially for breakfast at work.
I do like the idea of a plain yoghurt and adding in my own extras - desiccated coconut sounds lovely. I also love cherries and at only 4gm per 100gm more carbs than strawberries (according to google) I'm thinking about trying the Tesco lactose free and/0r the Alpro ones suggested and adding in a teaspoon ful of the dessicated coconut, a few cherries, and maybe a tiny sprinkle of chia seeds.
Yoghurt is like porridge to me - an acquired taste which is meant to be good for you. Thankfully I don't need to bother with porridge any more.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm loving all the suggestions - considering I hate yoghurt! If anyone is wondering why I'm persisting with yoghurt, I think it is a great snack item that is useful for me to take to work or eat at any time and especially for breakfast at work.
I do like the idea of a plain yoghurt and adding in my own extras - desiccated coconut sounds lovely. I also love cherries and at only 4gm per 100gm more carbs than strawberries (according to google) I'm thinking about trying the Tesco lactose free and/0r the Alpro ones suggested and adding in a teaspoon ful of the dessicated coconut, a few cherries, and maybe a tiny sprinkle of chia seeds.
Yoghurt is like porridge to me - an acquired taste which is meant to be good for you. Thankfully I don't need to bother with porridge any more.

Try the Collective range. (Sainsbury sell it) They do a plain one, but others which have some compote in. I have disliked these for many years, but actually like these. My breakfast is usually 2 desertspoons plus muesli made with spelt rather than other grains, and I usually get a drop from approx 5 to 4.2 by lunchtime.

sunburst69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greek yogurt has a better carb/protein profile than regular. As previously suggested, get plain and add your own things. Fruit-few berries or a couple of strawberries mashed up to disperse flavor better & nuts are good. I add coconut flour, ground flax seeds & chia seeds in addition to berries, stevia & cinammon and some soy milk to loosen it up.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing I take into consideration when buying yoghurt is checking they are vegetarian (I am a veggie).
Quite a few contain gelatine.
Not a problem for meat eaters but a surprise entry for veggies.
Yeo Valley Greek style natural (organic) full fat yoghurt is delicious and has NO added ingredients, which is as it should be.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's very difficult to stand in a supermarket looking at labels.
I'm sure I'm becoming known as that weird woman who peers at labels.... I am now a compulsive label reader, and I must look a bit odd when I couldn't be bothered to get my glasses out and therefore the label is either at my nose or at arm's length. Don't be concerned, @Orangeteddy - in this town at least there are far more weird sights so may be the same in yours! Delamere goat's milk yoghurt - 3.9g per 100g - doesn't have a 'goaty' flavour (I also like their butter) and is less sharp than some plain yoghurts; great for those who find cow's milk difficult.