Why BG goes up after Exercise

isk

I have noted that if my BG level is at 6 before before breakfast, it goes up to 8 after 30 minutes of exercise. Can anyone explain?

ISK

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
In most cases exercise will lower your Bg levels, which may show up several hours after exercising. So, the increase you had might have dropped later.

However, it can also have the opposite effect........raising Bg levels. This sometimes happens when Bg levels are high prior to exercise. It can also happen if you do some very strenuous activity, this can stimulate your liver to 'dump' extra glucose into your bloodstream due to the increase in Adrenaline in your body.

So depending on what you are doing exercise can make Bg levels go up.....or down. It is a balancing act really which by testing at various times you will see what effect different levels of activity have on YOUR body and Bg levels.

Ken

isk

Thanks Cugila
is it good if liver dump extra sugar in bloodstream. My BG was 6 before exercise and it went up to 8 after 30 minutes of exercise

ISK

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Mine can go up after 2 hours of tennis - 6.9 last night, when I would expect 5.5. It falls with more gentle exercise.

The need blood glucose is generated from fat reserves. I don't need to stuff bananas or 'energy' drinks.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Whether that level is good or bad is something only you can decide. Depends if it is in your own personal target levels. I personally would prefer to stay around 7 mmol/l.......so I would look at what exercise I was doing and maybe reducing the intensity. Depends what you want to achieve.

Ken