Why do some fat people not get diabetes

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I 've come to the conclusion that it's not just being fat...it 's what you eat to make you overweight.

Carbs and sugar have an effect on my readings , while fat doesn't seem to do much at all.

So a Mediterranean diet would have been ok for me, while cakes and potatoes etc might have increased my chances of becoming diabetic

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with you mousemat.

I think, as well, it has alot to do with where the fat is deposited on your body. I'm sure I've read that fat around the middle (which I am ) makes you more prone to diabetes.

Pneu

I think it's safe to say if you have type II or type I diabetes then being over-weight is certainly going to reduce your insulin sensitivity and potentially for type II diabetics speed up the process of pancreas degradation (as it has to work harder to produce more insulin). The same is also true of life-style and general activity levels.. people who are more active are more insulin sensitive and certainly a sedentary life-style is also going to contribute to poor insulin sensitivity (and weight gain)..

As to the question does being over-weight cause type II... my personal opinion is no.. but what it does do is for those people that are more pre-disposed to becoming type II is increase the chance that you will become diabetic.

Lisa.P

We can all go through the why fors and where fors of why we are diabetic, mine was a complacent midwife that never picked up I had developed gestational diabetes, despite being aware I had an insulin dependent mother a strong family history of diabetes she was still adamant that I was not at risk! It took me going into kidney failure and being admitted to hospital for an emergency Caesarian at 30 weeks the outcome was not good I survived my baby boy died at 3 days old. That aside I think we have to get on with life as best we can. I see an awful lot of posts on here from people that let their diabetes rule their lives, instead of them ruling their diabetes. I don't let this condition stop me doing anything, I live with it and get on with it. I joined my local Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness club in January and it is the most effective, simple and easy diet to follow and so suitable for us diabetics. I've lost 16 pounds, been doing exercise every day, I bought some cheap Rosemary Conley Exercise DVDs on Amazon in January and I've lost 4.5 inches off my tummy muffin. I think that Diabetes is used as an excuse for being fat, and I feel I can say that as I've used it but not anymore because I am starting to feel fantastic. I'm off for my annual check next Monday and am really curious how my Hb1AC is going to look against last years.

Lisa.P

One thing I have learned in the past few weeks is to live by a no more than 5% total fat rule in what you eat. If you eat fat you will be fat! Eat good carbs, like wholegrain bread etc, lots of fruit and veg, lean meat, plenty of fish and you can have the good old spuds just don't roast them in tons of oil(including olive), dripping, goose fat etc. if you want a roast spud get a bottle of Fry light 1 cal oil and spray no more than 2 puffs on them, I love roasting and they really are fab with this. The other thing I've discovered on my diets the new sugar substitute Stevia, it's suitable for diabetics and dieters and leaves no strange after taste at all. Happy days!

bearMedicine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dieting :)
chocoholicnomore said:
bearMedicine said:
Does getting fit and losing weight improve type 2 and insulin sensitivity? I really hope so. What are people's experiences?

Sorry. Meant to reply to this but forgot.

Yes, in my experience it definitely does help. I lost over a stone since diagnosis and have changed my diet drastically. My hba1c reduced to under 7 in only 3 months and my average daily reading now is normally about 5.5 2 hours after evening meal (unless I have been bad :oops: )

That's great to hear! Thanks :D

Helenababe

I don't believe obesety has anything to do with getting diabetes, simply because there are thousands of obese people who never get it, and also plenty of thin people who 'do' get it.

I know someone who has been skinny all her life, but was diagnosed with T2. Because the public are lead to believe you have to be obese to get it, she was very upset and throwing the question at her GP: 'Why have I got diabetes? I shouldn't have it, I'm not over weight!'

I don't think any of the medical profession know for sure why we get diabetes. Plenty of theories, but no actual proof. I believe that if they did, there would have been a cure by now.

Helena

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
mousemat said:
I 've come to the conclusion that it's not just being fat...it 's what you eat to make you overweight.

Carbs and sugar have an effect on my readings , while fat doesn't seem to do much at all.

So a Mediterranean diet would have been ok for me, while cakes and potatoes etc might have increased my chances of becoming diabetic

Hi mousemat

I come from a Mediterranean county and we have a high incidence of obesity and diabetes. Yes the basic Mediterranean diet is good...but there are lots that will encourage weight gain and pasta and bread are the staples. I grew up on gorgeous pasta dishes etc.... I have to admit when I go back home I do indulge a bit in stuff that I dont eat here in England...

Well next time I have to say no to mum's home cooking :roll:

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Actually Didie, there is no real proof that if you had not gained weight you would not have developed Diabetes. That is a particularly cruel myth that is promoted everywhere as fact.
Like most Type2s you probably gained weight because you have a genetically linked metabolic weakness (insulin resistance) that causes weight gain in people on a western diet, and eventually causes Diabetes in a proportion of the people who have it.
20% of Diabetics are of normal weight when diagnosed, and the majority of obese (and insulin resistant) people never become diabetic, although they suffer plenty of other complications, because insulin resistance = high insulin levels, and these are implicated in many other chronic conditions.
The sad truth is that a lot of diabetics are visibly fat and in our fat-phobic society this is seen as a cause of illness, not a consequence. This makes it easy to blame the victim for their own problems and imply that they do not deserve expensive medical care for a self-inflicted illness.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Actually Didie, there is no real proof that if you had not gained weight you would not have developed Diabetes.

I'm satisified in my own mind. There are so many theories going around that you just need go with what works for you as an individual.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
SueR said:
I have been overweight all of my life and I still will not blame myself.

We are all different and react differently to things. I am on insulin because there are a lot of diabetic drugs that my body will not tolerate. Is that my fault too ? I'm lucky I have a very understanding GP and yes I have had complications too, as a result of not being diagnosed sooner - was registered with a different GP then. No way is this my fault and do I blame anyone errr no.

I get on with my life and enjoy it to the full, it's too short for 'what ifs' and recriminations...

Late arrival to this discussion (I've been on holiday :D ).

I think I am with ladybird64 - I don't think you were told it was your fault, but I agree that the explanation by your HCP does not look reasonable (I hope).

Now please read on, accepting that I am playing devil's advocate here and not stating my own beliefs - I am just discussing a proposition and the posibble implications 8)

O.K., let us assume that you are really granted just so much insulin in your life.

What does insulin do?
It takes excess glucose out of your blood stream and dumps it in your tissues to store for future use.
Lack of insulin (or a lack of responsiveness in your tissues to insulin) leaves too much sugar in your blood.
This is Not A Good Thing (a.k.a. Diabetes).

So assume that you have only so much insuling granted to you for your whole life.

How do you avoid using it up too soon?
You only eat enough food to meet your short term energy needs and so do not need much insulin to keep your blood sugar under control.
This is a strategy used by low carbers to make best use of the insulin they have left.
One other thing that this can do is stabilise or lower your weight, as you are not laying down fat stores and if you under eat you are likely to cut into your reserves.

How do you use your precious store of insulin up quickly?
Stuff in the carbs and sugars, and use loads of insulin getting sugar out of your blood stream and into your tissues.
Oh, and it is generally stored as fat once any immediate short term energy needs have been met.

So if we go with the "only so much insulin in your life" theory then the sign of someone who has been abusing their precious insulin reserves is that they are fat.

So the "only so much insulin in your life" theory suggests that in some cases the person who has run out (or nearly run out) of insulin has only themself to blame because they burned a lot of it up unnecessarily.

Which seems to me to be a very blaming attitude.

End of abstract discussion 8)

We need to understand what causes diabetes and what can be done to reduce the incidence in future generations.
This means that we should examine our own situation, HCPs should examine our current condition and long term history, and then we can get some ideas of common factors and perhaps work to eliminate them.
This is not the same thing as pointing the finger of blame.

A few things that would be good :D

:arrow: If we do have only a fixed amount of insulin, can we have a fuel guage and an MPG calculator?

:arrow: Can we have testing for the genes linked to diabetes? This might help to identify those most at risk and allow early intervention.

:arrow: Can we have a test which estimates the size/effectiveness/robustness of a pancreas? Again to allow early intervention. Or to allow the "sorted - I can eat what I like - approach :lol: "

To get back to the original topic, not all fat people get diabetes, in the same way that they don't all have heart attacks. Not all smokers get cancer. Not all heavy drinkers get liver failure. However it is generally considered that some factors do increase risk in those who are genetically susceptible (or not genetically resistant).
Just to misquote Ecclesiastes - the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

Bottom line - we may realise that we have not helped ourselves in the past.
That was then, this is now.
We can't change our past, so there is no point in assigning blame and feeling guilty.
What we need to focus on is what is best for us in the future, and go for it.

Cheers

LGC

NutritionalScientist

What do other forum members think to the idea that it is HOW people get fat that also plays a part in whether or not they are more likely to get T2D? Obviously along with the obvious genetic pre-dispositions that might exist also.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Mac-Nutrition said:
What do other forum members think to the idea that it is HOW people get fat that also plays a part in whether or not they are more likely to get T2D? Obviously along with the obvious genetic pre-dispositions that might exist also.

If you're taking about things like the energy density of foods and the links between activity and obesity and such like then yes agree 100%. The low carb / high carb thing only comes into effect after you get T2D as a means of control prior to that there is conflicting evidence that high carbs are a cause. In the UK the carb fat ratio has been pretty constant over the past few decades whereas in the States fats have risen but in Australia carbs have risen. All three places show increases in T2D.

One of our regular posters Phoenix is more of an expert on all of this. If you search her posts you'll get loads of useful links.

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
junk food, modern life, crowds, heat and loud music
I was wondering that today I saw something about a very fat American lady weighing about 50 stone and she doesn't have Diabetes and I have heard of lots morbidly obese people not having it, I was angry at myself as I am 28lb over weight and developed it feeling that although yes it runs in my family, mum has it, my dad's dad had it ( he lived to be 91) and women in my family all have the dreaded apple shape which is a high risk for insulin resistance. I had PCOS ( havn't got ovaries or womb any more so probably don't have it now) but I should have watched my carb and sugar addiciton knowing all this and yet i over ate on carbs and drunk A LOT of fruit juice, I have that body shape that is big on the waist but has wasted, thin old man legs, so when I was diagnosed Diabetic in September I was not remotley surprised , since then by watching my carbs and only drinking non concentrated fruit juice watered down well with sparkling water and one portion of fruit a day instaed of 4 or 5 like I used to do I have lost 7 lbs in weight and 4 inches off the waist, but yeah it still bugs me as to why things about weight say being obese means you are more likely to be diabetic and yet I come in the over weight category and have it.

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I had PCOS all my adult life and since age 11 , my weight began to be a problem in my mid 20s , carbs have always been a big problem for me and sugar, since really being careful with sugar and carbs since my diagnosis I have noticed a weight loss of about 1 to 2 lbs a week and I do not crave things like cake,white bread or sweets any more, I think the PCOS was the thing for me as it is linked to Diabetes and my family's dreaded apple shape.

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you're taking about things like the energy density of foods and the links between activity and obesity and such like then yes agree 100%. The low carb / high carb thing only comes into effect after you get T2D as a means of control prior to that there is conflicting evidence that high carbs are a cause. In the UK the carb fat ratio has been pretty constant over the past few decades whereas in the States fats have risen but in Australia carbs have risen. All three places show increases in T2D.

One of our regular posters Phoenix is more of an expert on all of this. If you search her posts you'll get loads of useful links.
crabs were always my problem but I had PCOS and I knew I should cut the carbs but only when I got diagnosed type 2 did I think right I really have to nail this carb thing on the head or my health will get worse.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I have asked that

I have asked that question myself. I have low body fat content, yet the diabetes is frightful.

M

mist

I dare not post in this thread, they already have me tied to the stake!

Oh wait, I just did..hi everyone! :D

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Actually Didie, there is no real proof that if you had not gained weight you would not have developed Diabetes. That is a particularly cruel myth that is promoted everywhere as fact.
Like most Type2s you probably gained weight because you have a genetically linked metabolic weakness (insulin resistance) that causes weight gain in people on a western diet, and eventually causes Diabetes in a proportion of the people who have it.
20% of Diabetics are of normal weight when diagnosed, and the majority of obese (and insulin resistant) people never become diabetic, although they suffer plenty of other complications, because insulin resistance = high insulin levels, and these are implicated in many other chronic conditions.
The sad truth is that a lot of diabetics are visibly fat and in our fat-phobic society this is seen as a cause of illness, not a consequence. This makes it easy to blame the victim for their own problems and imply that they do not deserve expensive medical care for a self-inflicted illness.
Guilt by association. I am diabetic yet people don't understand why I am not fat. Preconception in a nut shell.