Why do some fat people not get diabetes

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I was wondering that today I saw something about a very fat American lady weighing about 50 stone and she doesn't have Diabetes and I have heard of lots morbidly obese people not having it, I was angry at myself as I am 28lb over weight and developed it feeling that although yes it runs in my family, mum has it, my dad's dad had it ( he lived to be 91) and women in my family all have the dreaded apple shape which is a high risk for insulin resistance. I had PCOS ( havn't got ovaries or womb any more so probably don't have it now) but I should have watched my carb and sugar addiciton knowing all this and yet i over ate on carbs and drunk A LOT of fruit juice, I have that body shape that is big on the waist but has wasted, thin old man legs, so when I was diagnosed Diabetic in September I was not remotley surprised , since then by watching my carbs and only drinking non concentrated fruit juice watered down well with sparkling water and one portion of fruit a day instaed of 4 or 5 like I used to do I have lost 7 lbs in weight and 4 inches off the waist, but yeah it still bugs me as to why things about weight say being obese means you are more likely to be diabetic and yet I come in the over weight category and have it.
Weight is not the major reason, yet it does contribute to the condition. As I see it, there is a predisposing factor of genetics that raises the chance of developing diabetes. Mind you, the processing of foods and the sedentary lifestyle that has become endemic in our society can't help. We created this monster. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I agree with you mousemat.

I think, as well, it has alot to do with where the fat is deposited on your body. I'm sure I've read that fat around the middle (which I am ) makes you more prone to diabetes.
Isn't there an old saying that a pare shaped woman will always outlive an apple shaped man? Something to do with the location of fat deposits.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is emerging research showing that it may be a neurological problem...

Central injection of fibroblast growth factor 1 induces sustained remission of diabetic hyperglycemia in rodents
http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v22/n7/abs/nm.4101.html
We report that a single intracerebro ventricular injection of FGF1 at a dose one-tenth of that needed for antidiabetic efficacy following peripheral injection induces sustained diabetes remission in both mouse and rat models of T2D. This antidiabetic effect is not secondary to weight loss, does not increase the risk of hypoglycemia, and involves a novel and incompletely understood mechanism for increasing glucose clearance from the bloodstream. We conclude that the brain has an inherent potential to induce diabetes remission and that brain FGF receptors are potential pharmacological targets for achieving this goal.

And our brain can be fueled by fats...what if fats/ketones is meant to be the main...not the alternative fuel...

Can Ketones Help Rescue Brain Fuel Supply in Later Life? Implications for Cognitive Health during Aging and the Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease?
http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fnmol.2016.00053
Ketones are the brain’s main alternative fuel to glucose and brain ketone uptake is still normal in MCI and in early AD, which would help explain why ketogenic interventions improve some cognitive outcomes in MCI and AD. We suggest that the brain energy deficit needs to be overcome in order to successfully develop more effective therapeutics for AD. At present, oral ketogenic supplements are the most promising means of achieving this goal.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And our brain can be fueled by fats...what if fats/ketones is meant to be the main...not the alternative fuel...

From what I understand they actually are! Good evidence is the fact that young (breast fed ) babies are naturally in ketosis, living on their fatty milk diet.

Perhaps not a very scientific explanation, but:

Prior to all the faulty/biased research that told us that fats were bad for us, we ate a diet heavier in fats than carbs, and we didn't have an obese population. It's this advice to cuts the fats and up the carbs that have caused a problem.

When we now eat a low carb diet our bodies are fat adapted and can and do use both carbs and fats/ketones for fuel (as intended). Because carbs are easier to process they will be first choice of fuel when available, and when they're depleted we'll burn fats, and we have a much larger capacity for fat storage than we do for carbs. So fewer carbs mean more reliance on fat, and we tend to get less hungry because we have easy access to our fatty larders, and don't need to over eat to keep us fuelled.

When we eat a carbs heavy diet, our bodies have learned to just use these preferentially, and have lost/forgotten the key to using our "backup" storage because they rarely need to use it. But any surplus fuel will still be stored as fat but can no longer easily be accessed, with the result that we can eat large quantities of carbs, and get both hungry and fat. :(

Robbity

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Why do some thin people (like me) get diabetes?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I suspect Statins had something to do with it.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Isn't there an old saying that a pare shaped woman will always outlive an apple shaped man? Something to do with the location of fat deposits.

Go to an old people's home and you will find that women far outnumber the men, no matter what shape they are.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In one of Professor Lustig's lectures he has a slide showing a cross section of two of his patients. There is no blood involved since they are taken from an MRI scan or similar. He asks the audience which of the patients is sick and it seems they go for the fat one which is the wrong answer. It's the thin one with fat round the viscera.

It seems that subcutaneous fat is a bit of a red herring which means you can get large healthy people. When fat accumulates round the internal organs, according to Dr. Unger, there comes a point when diabetes is diagnosed. With this it is possible to get thin unhealthy people. About 80% of type 2's have both subcutaneous and visceral fat which is not good.

Professor Taylor says that you can significantly reduce liver fat by doing his 800 cal. diet although I have never tried it.

Lustig says that two things are metabolised into fat directly in the liver. Alcohol and fructose are the two things so it seems wise to avoid those.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
JTL, thin people with Type 2 seem to contradict the official line that Type 2 is a fat related disease.
However, one has to ask, why are they thin?
When I was diagnosed in 2010 I went to the doctor because I was steadily losing weight, a couple of pounds a month, without dieting. (This is not unusual) If I had been dieting I would simply have assumed that I had hit on a successful diet. Just how slim would I have ended up before I was diagnosed?
I suspect that a lot of the people who complain that they are slim, and it is unfair that they have become diabetic, are simply people with the body type that gets thin with diabetes, rather than the more common type who get fatter.
Answer : its all in the genes. Fat storage is a physiological not a character issue.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a BMI of 40 as well when I got diabetes... some gained because of medication, which I should have stopped already when realizing , that I gained 1 kg a month, which eveybody even the GP should have said to himself is not sustainable, and as I had no plans of committing siucide, there was not enough argument for staying on that medication I think now....well yes diabetes is not always because of overweight... it can be that insuline resistance did in the first place create our tendency of gaining weight..
But that said... very many that get extremely obese, like you and I do get diabetes...
but what came first the hen or the egg, did we get obese because of insuline resistance slowly creeping up or did we get insuline resistance because of eating too much...
a lot of people also have a very sedentary lifestyle....which is also known to contribute to getting diabetes more often...

my old rather fat aunt ate about 0.5 kg of winegums most every day and only drank lemonade, but never got diabetes and lived untill 89 years of age... life is unfair we are all very different and it is like asking why did I get cancer ? to expect fairness in this kind of matters when already there, is of no help... only for scientists that do try to solve the riddle of how to prevent it... and that riddle has not been solved yet.

Unfortunately there is not cure for sure, but there is a lot we can do not to get all the adding diseases that usually follows uncontroled diabetes...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
JTL, thin people with Type 2 seem to contradict the official line that Type 2 is a fat related disease.
However, one has to ask, why are they thin?
When I was diagnosed in 2010 I went to the doctor because I was steadily losing weight, a couple of pounds a month, without dieting. (This is not unusual) If I had been dieting I would simply have assumed that I had hit on a successful diet. Just how slim would I have ended up before I was diagnosed?
I suspect that a lot of the people who complain that they are slim, and it is unfair that they have become diabetic, are simply people with the body type that gets thin with diabetes, rather than the more common type who get fatter.
Answer : its all in the genes. Fat storage is a physiological not a character issue.

If it was all in the genes then there is troubles explaining why there is such a rapid rise in diabetes Worldwide.....there must be other contributing factors, if not there has also been a rapid rate of gene mutations all over the World..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My friend is marginally obese and also on long-term high dose steroids. She eats carbs including cakes and puddings but is low fat. Because of the steroids she has quarterly HbA1c tests. Always in the low 30s. I tell her how lucky she is.

Deaconpat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow. I'm seriously glad I am not under the care of your two HCP's Sue..I think their opinion is absolute nonsense but if you want to believe it fine. I would love to hear why my daughter was diagnosed with type 2 at 18 years...must have been her insulin going.

You are right about life being for living, I totally agree with you. But the relevance for me is that I feel every individual should take some responsibility for their own health and wellbeing and not just expect the pills/insulin to do all the work. I have noticed before a offhand attitude on this forum to those who make dietary changes etc, making out they are some sort of health nuts.
In my humble opinion it is more nutty to know that being overweight will contribute to health problems as well as contribute to diabetes problems and decide that there is nothing to be done about it. Life's too short...you're not wrong. It is too short for complications of diabetes.

Having three diabetics in the family, one on insulin because the poor kid has no choice and who I dearly wish could come off it, I feel that life is too short to stick ones head in the sand and say that it is all going to be ok. Because the chances are it isn't, especially if we don't do something about it ourselves.

I am very obese and I struggle with food issues. Is it harder than just eating what I want and taking a shed load of meds and/or insulin because I don't want to change my eating habits?

No contest. My body, my responsibility.

Simples.
I totally agree, I was horrified by the answer that you only have so much insulin and when it is used up that's it????? I think it is a combination of answers -genetics etc. and obesity all may play a part but it is pointless to blame onesself!

toncra1

Dislikes
NHS give completely wrong advice.
I am obese BMI 40.0 and I have been diagnosed with Diabetes. I am 32 so I thought i had time to loose weight and get into shape. I wanted to know why it is some people who are obese in there 40 and 50s don't get diabetes? 32 is youngish to get type 2 diabetes, i would have thought.

Hi Snowman.
My personal view is that it is mainly down to your diet.
I was diagnosed as T2 over three years ago and since have registered as normal with my HbA1c tests,
I have reduced my intake of carbs drastically to get these results.

When I think back about my diet though, I thought I was eating quite healthily but my diet did consist of a great deal of carbs...Potato/Brown rice/Bread/and quite large platefuls of Pasta/cake and biscuits.
Ugh....not any more.