1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Why don't people get it?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Outlier, Mar 21, 2022.

1. nicki92

nicki92 Type 1 · Active Member

...but then on the opposite side, my stepmother was diagnosed with almost-pre-diabetes last year (HbA1C of 41 or 42).
    She's extremely fit for her age (almost 60), very small and has generally a very healthy diet. But since she met my dad seven years ago she's eaten a lot more fruit, and probably other sweet snacks as well. The doctor says that because of her body type and general healthy lifestyle she doesn't need to worry too much, but she has cut down on sugar. My dad is insensitive though and says things like "of course you can eat this cake/peach/biscuit, it won't make a difference!" and I do think that he makes it more difficult for her by not understanding well.

(Side note: I'm doing a half marathon in two weeks' time and told my dad that I'm a bit nervous about my BG as it will likely spike due to the adrenalin, which I can't practice for, and that I don't want to carry insulin. His response? "You'll just have to control it!". I said "yes with insulin, this is the problem" and he said "you just need to stay calm and not get too excited" :facepalm:)

2. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Your friend is as good at you are at remembering stuff that's peripheral to her though big to you. She's bothering to come and see you which is lovely. Just have a strategy for avoiding them if that's what you wish or do you fear temptation? You are right, people don't get it and cake eating is just a normal thing in our culture but I'm hoping she is a good friend in other ways such that you will tolerate this slight lack of consideration.

3. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just had a call from a relative, who also has type 2, who after 2 years after diagnosis has just started going low carb, to say
    "We'll be popping in at lunchtime, but don't worry about food because we'll have a McDonald's at the services. Just a biscuit or 2 will be fine"
    :banghead::banghead::arghh:
    (I haven't had biscuits in the house for over 18 months)

• Hug Hug x 2
  4. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Well maybe it's a zand style MacD's? Bunless and fries less? Yeh, probably too much to hope for lol.

Good luck with the visit then...:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fenn

Fenn Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

For years I took it upon myself to save every diabetic, not any more, I realized the world didn’t want to be saved! if people look for help, they will find it, if they are not looking, their choice. Anyone with diabetes that can’t figure out biscuits are a no go are a lost cause in my opinion.

Edit, or they can eat them without putting up their numbers higher than they find acceptable :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook