Type 2 Why oh why???

K

koukla

@Brunneria if you have time sometime, please would you tell me how what you told me to do last night worked, and how so fast? I'd be really grateful because it was amazing. I really was scared like I was last time it was so high. Is this a surefire way of bringing levels down after every single meal? If so, that makes the whole thing so much easier to control even if they're fairly low. Thank you. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that the type/intensity of the exercise matters. Competitive sports and high strenuous/ high intensity exercise such as lifting weights actually may cause glucose to rise. While moderate low impact exercise such as walking, going up and down stairs helps burn out sugar and lower glucose.

I actually find that when I go for a walk in the morning not only do I lower glucose immediately but my levels tend to stay lower for the rest of the day.

I am thinking of starting on short nighttime walks two hours after dinner for the same reason.

Pavlos

Are you really a koukla?:)

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There will be several different answers to this, I always find I can lower high numbers very quickly by a short burst of strenuous exercise.
Enough to break a sweat, and make my heart rate increase.

As to the mechanism, personally I believe it's a combination, the increased blood flow and sweating increase blood into the capillaries, flushing the old blood out before the next test, the muscles use more glucose, and my beta cells produce more insulin in anticipation of that.
Prolonged exercise may well go onto a liver dump, as your BS will now be falling, and this could indeed push your BS back up.

Reactions: 3 people
K

koukla

Ok. I'm going to answer everyone in turn because there's so much here.

@Dibbles1, that's really difficult to take in isn't it, unless it's me still trying to get my head around it all. To me, that seems to say that we can eat whatever we want as long as we exercise but obviously sooner than I did last night. So confusing.

K

koukla

@AndBreathe, I've read the whole of that thread and it's very interesting, not forgetting a huge achievement too.

That bout of exercise last night wasn't an awful lot but it worked a little miracle for me. I think we've probably all gathered by now that even though all of my life previous to the stroke, I was an exercise freak but now because of how it makes my head feel, I avoid it like the plague. However, if I managed it last night, and I did, I can manage it everyday and get better and better results.
Thank you :)

K

koukla

@pavlosn. What I did last night clearly worked for me so I shall continue that on a daily basis for now and see what happens. I have weights and I used to love working with them but will try that later into my mission. The lazy exerciser is what I have been and now I've had my eyes opened as to what it can do I realise that I truly must keep it up. My consultant knows me very well and he said in the beginning that I could reverse it. I'll try to prove his right. I put a lot of effort in diet wise but not exercise. Naughty!!

Ha!!! Am I a koukla? Well, when I lived on Samos for a couple of years, it wasn't difficult for the Greeks to call me by my proper name because it's a Greek name but I was always Koukla, Kouklara or Kouklaki to everyone out there. Yes I am a koukla but it's starting to wear off a bit now.... but not a lot!! :)

K

koukla

@douglas99. I didn't even have to break a sweat last night. Just ran up and down the stairs 4 times and about 10 minutes, truly no more on my cross trainer and the job was done. To say I was gobsmacked would be an understatement! As you've just pointed out, I'll be careful what I do but I'm berating myself today for not tackling this earlier. Lazy lazy woman!!! :(

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @koukla yes exercise is very good. In fact if you exercise enough then you deplete the glucogen from your muscular stores and everything you eat for the rest of the day is soaked up pretty fast. @pavlosn hinted at this but you do have to do enough to. I can feel when my muscles have basically run empty and it is at this point that you can also get a large liver dump. If you stop at this point you will end up with high numbers so you just need to go on a little longer and you stop lower. The liver dump in this case is you body providing your mucles with the glucose they need to continue. If you drive your muscles to empty continuously so that you drain your liver (this also happens when you do not have enugh calories for personal living) then you liver starts to convert the abdominal fat store to glucogen. This all adds up to making exercise really important to normalise your body.

You do not need to go running or play strenuous sports just a couple of brisk walks (I like 30 mins in the morning and evening). I used to do targetted stairs (250 steps) to lower my levels but I can do it far faster on my exercise bike nowadays. BTW I no longer get those liver dumps or the drop low and rise highs during exercise I just stay a steady 4.5 to 5.5

Hope that helps to explain what you have seen. I also used to say "exercise to your meter" and not "eat" to your meter as that allows you to have your muffin but you just have to plan it appropriately, It does need you to watch your levels for spikes in the early days and squash the peaks.

K

koukla

@Andrew Colvin, that's a difficult one. I can't get my head around it. I should exercise a bit more than I think is enough? That also presumably means that I must start to eat more because I don't eat very much at all.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
you may find exercising more may get your body out of starvation mode. Do some exercise and then eat - make sure you get plenty of protein if you are going to exercise more otherwise you will just start to digest your muscles if you are in starvation mode.

K

koukla

Ok. Thank you so much. Just making sure I've got this right.... exercise before eating. Yes?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
umm now normally I would say eat wait until about 45 mins and then exercise as this is best at squashing peaks.
As you are trying to get out of starvation mode I would then eat a small amount after your exercise in the form of protein and fats - nuts are a good source - especially if you do not want to lose weight. Remember you need to eat to replenish those burned calories and get your body burning the fats and not your muscles.

Just do this for a week until your body is out of starvation mode and you are beginning to feel hungry and want to eat. Then do not eat after the exercise but increase you meal size.

This pattern worked for me - hopefully it will for you

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@koukla sorry I didn't get back to you, last night. My little green flags are increasingly unreliable!

But thank you @everyone for answering all those questions. You did it much better than I would have done! ;)

K

koukla

@Brunneria, no problem. We can't be around here 24 hours a day. I've had amazing help with this though and I'm so grateful to all. I can't stay, got some running up and down the stairs to do haha! :)

K

koukla

Checking in to report that I've just had the call I was waiting for. HbA1C is up from 39 to 40 this time. I don't quite know what to think because I haven't altered my eating habits. I'll crack on with the exercise regime and see if I can make a difference in 3 months time. Thank you all for caring :)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
39 and 40 are in the normal range so you should be really happy

Reactions: 4 people
K

koukla

Really Andrew? I need to understand this thing a lot better. You'd never believe I spent my working life as a Hospital Administrator would you???

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really Andrew? I need to understand this thing a lot better. You'd never believe I spent my working life as a Hospital Administrator would you???

Koukla - Have a look at the figures below:

HbA1c targets
Targets for HbA1c are as follows:

• For people without diabetes, the range is 20-41 mmol/mol
    (4-5.9%)
  • For people with diabetes, an HbA1c level of 48 mmol/mol
    (6.5%)
    is considered good control, although some people may prefer their numbers to be closer to that of non-diabetics
  • For people at greater risk of hypoglycemia (lower than normal blood sugar), a target HbA1c of 59 mmol/mol (7.5%)to reduce the risk of hypos
Those figures are copied from this site.

As you will see, your 40 mmol/mol is in the non-diabetic range, so you should be very happy, especially as your last was 40, which was also in the non-diabetic range. I wouldn't worry about the +1 since last time. That is such a small variation that I would not consider it to be material, unless it was part of a much longer trend of rising levels - which yours clearly isn't.

As I recall, when you first started posting, it appears your consultant told you that (and I paraphrase bit time here) if you got your act together; lost weight and got your bloods down, that you could be rid of your diabetes. Well, aside from the potential debate about whether diabetes we can ever be truly rid of diabetes, or whether in those circumstances we merely become extremely well controlled diabetics, it appears you have met his criteria. or at least the ones you understand or have shared with us.

So, are you feeling any better these days? You obviously have had a pretty stressful time with it all of late?

Moving forward, the next bit is just a bit of a brain dump from me, and sharing some thinking I have had to do for myself, in the light of non-diabetic range bloods the last three times I have been tested. I think I am like you in that my only bloods in the diabetic range were my diagnostic bloods.

Looking at my levels (and yours), now that I am in the non-diabetic range, I have asked myself how much lower I think I could possibly go. To be honest, after my 37, I thought I had probably reached my optimal level. That was proven untrue by the next test at 34, when I felt for certain I wouldn't go any lower, but then I had 32. I honestly, honestly don't expect to go any lower. We all have a lower threshold for our bloods, where we run in a healthy state (whether diabetic or not), and looking at the ranges, of course there are loads of non-diabetics who run with levels equalling or exceeding ours. The figures above start at 20, but I doubt there are too many non-diabetics running quite that low. If anyone comes up with stats I would be very happy to read them, but those are my feelings.

Personally, I am very content to be running where I am, and indeed if next time (November-ish) I have crept up one or two points, I'd be telling myself not to go into a decline, but to keep perspective. When I read other people's signatures, with their blood scores in there, I realise it's perfectly natural to fluctuate a little bit over time. Let's face it, as well and diet and exercise, there are variables in our lives which can affect our blood scores - like other medical conditions, stress, and so on. But, all of that said, we do need to be mindful of our trends. So, if you don't already, please do get all your blood results and record them in a spreadsheet or some other easily comparable format, so that you can sense check each of your results, without too much effort.

As I said to you before, I really do suggest you do some reading, or re-reading before your consultant appointment in a few days, so that you are prepared and pose the questions to which you would like answers. We only see these people periodically, so we have to capitalise on their time. And, let's face it, they like it that we want to be part of our personal management.

Please let us know how you get on when you see your consultant. Please do concentrate on developing or tuning your eating regime so that you are no longer losing weight. And please remember that not eating enough is a challenge for your body, just as eating too much or too many carbs.

You really have done well, but you must work on becoming a bit more calm about your condition. With non-diabetic levels you deserve to be giving yourself a pat of the back, not a hard time. :)

Reactions: 9 people