Why should I be bothered anymore....

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is it possible he just wants to keep hurting himself? I agree he needs to consider other or driving and awesome stuff you have done Molly re gps
It's horrible to see a love one harm themselves like an alcoholic killing themselves through drink. I guess maybe there is no solution or answer for Molly sorry to say it's in his hands and all you can do is whatever the power you have. I too have followed Molly and change can be hard especially when you love someone and you do deserve Molly to look after you as you matter so much to
@Fayefaye1429 ...thank you for your answer.....how are you?....

...personally I don't think he wants to deliberately hurt himself but rather does not understand that he needs to do something to help himself....he expects the GP to come up with some magic answer....have seen this with other things other than just his diabetes such as arthritis pains in knees, hips and now shoulder...
..unfortunately until he comes to the conclusion that he needs to do something about these no-one else can help him and I have seen him refuse treatments (such as physio, deeming a waste of his time and too much effort) and get himself discharged from various clinics where medical professionals have been trying to suggest solutions....and yes I have spoken to my GP to express my concerns about this....his answer was basically that until he is prepared to do something for himself that he (GP) can really do nothing more.....
....and believe me when I say that I have suggested he does more to help himself and do something more with his life...it just falls on deaf ears....

....anyway, am looking after me now.....looking forward to a few days of quality 'me time' :)when he goes away for a few days later this month to visit his son....

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
.....don't think I actually care anymore.....

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi molly,people who like to pull your strings get a shock when you cut them and the next time they try.........
@Clivethedrive ....a good thought but don't know that it will make any difference.....looking forward to a few days by myself when he goes away on his own for a few days to visit his son next weekend....though sometimes just feels as if I am on my own already....:(....

Reactions: 2 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Trying not to be bothered anymore but difficult to ignore it.....guess the high blood sugar levels will eventually take their toll....and he (not me) will have to deal with the consequences......no signs of them coming down (15.7 this evening / generally in mid to high teens still in evening despite lower readings recorded in book!) .....on a positive note at least that is nowhere near a potential hypo level....
...just getting on with my life.....and looking forward to my weekend alone.....with any luck it will snow or something (wishful thinking!!) and he won't get back for a while.....just hoping nothing prevents him from going....not counting my chickens just yet...
....guess you can see what sort of mood I am in at the moment....sorry....just gets me down sometimes .....

Reactions: 5 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Should I be bothered by the fact that he has a blood sugar level of 19.0 this evening (written in book as 11.7)....or just totally ignore it.....just amazes me that he is so unaware of the damage this is doing to him and the consequences of running at such high levels....just hope he doesn't expect me to be around when it all goes pear-shaped ....which is bound to happen at some point....
....also worries me that I am becoming so laid back about him having such high levels and really not getting stressed like I used to....what is happening to me?....a while ago I would be worrying about him not testing for ketones etc but now I couldn't care less...
...just hope nothing happens in the next few days to stop him going away for weekend and leaving me home alone....

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Should I be bothered by the fact that he has a blood sugar level of 19.0 this evening (written in book as 11.7)....or just totally ignore it.....just amazes me that he is so unaware of the damage this is doing to him and the consequences of running at such high levels....just hope he doesn't expect me to be around when it all goes pear-shaped ....which is bound to happen at some point....
....also worries me that I am becoming so laid back about him having such high levels and really not getting stressed like I used to....what is happening to me?....a while ago I would be worrying about him not testing for ketones etc but now I couldn't care less...
...just hope nothing happens in the next few days to stop him going away for weekend and leaving me home alone....
I think it's all been said molly56, look after yourself and just do what you can,clive

Reactions: 3 people

welshbunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no answers for you Molly, pretty much has already been said. How about your health though, you sound so down, perhaps a visit to doctor about your feelings and emotions would help you in some way. Him staying in bed most of the day sounds like he may be depressed, but you need to look after yourself too.I hope YOU get some help. x

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have no answers for you Molly, pretty much has already been said. How about your health though, you sound so down, perhaps a visit to doctor about your feelings and emotions would help you in some way. Him staying in bed most of the day sounds like he may be depressed, but you need to look after yourself too.I hope YOU get some help. x
@welshbunny....you are probably right....it does get me down at times and difficult to cope with...is probably why I am trying to cut myself off from the situation at the moment...
..have already spoken with my GP about this ...but little he can do about it ....he did offer me antidepressants at one stage which I refused (and will always refuse) as prefer to deal with it in other ways...for a start I don't consider myself to be depressed....just having to cope with what is a depressing situation...
...as I say there is nothing GP can do about situation unless my partner wants to do something about it and asks for help to do so...this also relies on him following instructions given and being prepared to help himself...both of which I recognise as being unlikely scenarios knowing what I know about him and past experience / track record...

My recent conversation with GP also led me to another conclusion which is that I wonder how much the GP and nurse would work to help anyway....just got the impression that because HbA1c has come down from the heights of where it was (90 something at one point) down to a more reasonable level (currently around 60 I think) that the GP is satisfied that he is improving and is in his words 'better than where he started'.....
....does it come to a point where GPs are satisfied with a diabetic reaching what they consider to be a satisfactory target and that they then become less interested in helping them to achieve better control of their diabetes....does it in effect become a box ticking exercise to say that they have achieved a particular result and they can report it on their GP reporting system as a 'success' ..
..perhaps I am just being cynical here but sometimes feel that my voicing my concerns to the GP does nothing more than put me across as being a 'worrier'....would not be at all surprised if that was what my records state....

Anyway thanks for your message and I am definitely looking after number one now....almost to the point where I am not bothered anymore or no longer care....a sad fact, but true....is just my self preservation kicking in I think....guess I am not the only one to find myself in this position....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
....does it come to a point where GPs are satisfied with a diabetic reaching what they consider to be a satisfactory target and that they then become less interested in helping them to achieve better control of their diabetes....does it in effect become a box ticking exercise to say that they have achieved a particular result and they can report it on their GP reporting system as a 'success' ..
When a patient is seen to improve, they can count it as a success, and Hba1C is how this is demonstrably proven. To be honest, GPs more or less leave diabetics to it unless asked for intervention. How he handles himself is not their concern and they have no control over him.

They don't have a duty of care to make sure that he doesn't lie in his record books or that he tests before driving. Neither do you. Only he has that.

The difference between you and they is that you are not dealing with him in a professional capacity and they can detach from the situation while you are personally involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

welshbunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@welshbunny....you are probably right....it does get me down at times and difficult to cope with...is probably why I am trying to cut myself off from the situation at the moment...
..have already spoken with my GP about this ...but little he can do about it ....he did offer me antidepressants at one stage which I refused (and will always refuse) as prefer to deal with it in other ways...for a start I don't consider myself to be depressed....just having to cope with what is a depressing situation...
...as I say there is nothing GP can do about situation unless my partner wants to do something about it and asks for help to do so...this also relies on him following instructions given and being prepared to help himself...both of which I recognise as being unlikely scenarios knowing what I know about him and past experience / track record...

My recent conversation with GP also led me to another conclusion which is that I wonder how much the GP and nurse would work to help anyway....just got the impression that because HbA1c has come down from the heights of where it was (90 something at one point) down to a more reasonable level (currently around 60 I think) that the GP is satisfied that he is improving and is in his words 'better than where he started'.....
..perhaps I am just being cynical here but sometimes feel that my voicing my concerns to the GP does nothing more than put me across as being a 'worrier'....would not be at all surprised if that was what my records state....

Anyway thanks for your message and I am definitely looking after number one now....almost to the point where I am not bothered anymore or no longer care....a sad fact, but true....is just my self preservation kicking in I think....guess I am not the only one to find myself in this position...

Hi again Molly, what tim2000s says below is all perfectly true, i have blood tests with my doctor at least once a year because they send for me and they can tell by that what your general reading has been for the last 3 months, so if he is dangerously high they should pick up on it. You are left to deal with it, and its has to be taken seriously. Have you thought about downloading pics off the internet of someone with ulcers and gangrene on their feet due to lack of self care, pics of people with legs amputated. Does he realise he could go blind? Sadly he is being selfish as he appears not to care what affect it has on you. I do wish I could help, but this is something HE has to do. Maybe it is time for you to take a couple of steps back.

welshbunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Molly I ihave replied to you again but somehow I put it on the end of your last post. I hope you are able to read it. !! x

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Oh No, @Molly56 has turned into Macaulay Culkin:wideyed:

Seriously, hope you have a relaxing "you time" weekend!

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We'll all be round with the party hats later .... :D
@DeejayR ....and others....You are all most welcome.....:joyful:....at least then I won't feel lonely...am enjoying my 'me time'....:)...don't forget to bring a bottle...

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite an important time for you, actually, Molly. You'll rediscover yourself, I hope.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@DeejayR ....and others....You are all most welcome.....:joyful:....at least then I won't feel lonely...am enjoying my 'me time'....:)...don't forget to bring a bottle...

I will bring my box of tea bags and the 45 vinyl's lol ;) don't forget to invite nosher, as we like the same music.
Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy a bit of 'me time' x

Reactions: 3 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will bring my box of tea bags and the 45 vinyl's lol ;) don't forget to invite nosher, as we like the same music.
Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy a bit of 'me time' x
@Robinredbreast ....I already have a selection of tea bags but you are welcome to bring your own....not sure what music you like but at the moment I can't get the Madness song 'House of Fun' out of my head...not because I like it as such but it was @DeejayR 's reference to party hats that sparked it....oops.:rolleyes:...guess anyone who knows the song and understands the references in the lyrics will see what I mean...choosing my words carefully there as others came to mind but could be misconstrued..oh dear....am digging myself in a hole here...best stop there.
In answer to your message.......am enjoying my 'me time' and making plans for tomorrow...:)

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Glad you got the "me" time.didn't actually think you would get it to be honest.
Now relax... Unwind...(and change the locks!!-lol:):))

Reactions: 8 people