Will Intermittent Fasting & Exercise kick me out of ketosis?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I hate diabetes
Hi everyone, I was wondering if exercise will kick me out of ketosis? I notice that whenever I do weight lifting or jogging my blood sugars will rise after my workout. I've been on a ketogenic diet for about a month now and since I get these blood sugar spikes after exercise will that kick me out of ketosis? (my blood sugar read 8.6 after light exercise today) Since I do a lot of strength training 3 times a week, does that mean I have high levels of lactic acid? could it be cortisol levels going up that might be causing this? I also fast for 21 hours. I eat breakfast at 9AM and get in my second meal before 12PM. I'm also at a calorie deficit that should help me lose about 2 pounds a week. My goal is to become fat adapted with the ketogenic diet, but if my sugars are elevated then I'm not sure if I'm progressing or not. My glucose meter lit up green when it showed 8.6, but to me that a little high as I like to keep my sugars between 4-7. I am a type 2 diabetic and any advice would be greatly appreciated

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I am in ketosis at the moment on very low carbohydrate but if I exercise strenuously in the morning I get a spike in blood sugar.
I don't believe that this is taking me out of ketosis.

When you are in ketosis your body still needs some glucose for parts of your brain which can't access ketones, so your body has to make it.

In my case I think that there may be a delay in my pancreas producing enough insulin to stop my liver dumping glucose, but it is still a puzzle.

If in doubt, test for ketones.

Reactions: Methepon

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I eat LCHF and intermittent fast. At times, I've used a blood ketone monitor my levels and found that exercise elevates my ketone level, even with a sugar spike.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I was in ketosis while doing weight training and HIIT. I also get the spike when doing it. My body just mopped up afterwards and I was back in fat burning mode.

I’ve since switched to a high protein low carb diet, because I wasn’t building muscle mass. This has kicked me out of ketosis, but I’m still burning fat. I easily drop back into ketosis my making adjustments. Not like going from high carb to ketosis.

Now I’ve never actually measured for ketones, but I can recognize when I’m in because of keto breath.

2 pounds a week is doable if you’re obese like I was, but as you get closer to your goal it gets harder to maintain. Then you’ll have to start making choices and watching that you don’t nuke your metabolism