Wolf hall

K

Kat100

Well; the proceeds of Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies probably paid for it!

Can't wait for publication of The Mirror and the Light (or "Wolf Hall III - Off with his Head" :))

I think it's a great TV adaptation of a modern classic of English literature. I suspect that the reason some people don't like it is the relatively slow pace of the action and the fact that much of what happens concerns Tudor mind games and power politics, rather than swashbuckling action, but for me that's the whole point of it. I agree with others: Mark Rylance is superb (as is Claire Foy but p'raps that's just because I'm a DOM :D)
DOM ? Not sure :p

Reactions: 4 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I like visiting blickling hall in norfolk ...they have the the ghost of Anne Boylyn nights ...some have seen :wideyed:

Blickling Hall is wonderful, I've been there a few times. We went to a big event there, I think it was for the 50th anniversary of the National Trust or something. You could dress up from any era - we all went in 1940's dress, it was great :)

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

Blickling Hall is wonderful, I've been there a few times. We went to a big event there, I think it was for the 50th anniversary of the National Trust or something. You could dress up from any era - we all went in 1940's dress, it was great :)
It is nice , love it there ....you dressed up , I am impressed ...

I love the second hand bookshop there ...

Have you been to felbrigg hall ....that is interesting ...much smaller and more natural gardens ...fields really ...you might have been ..kat

C

chris lowe

I must catch up with Spiral, might do it this weekend. M. Fittisou is gorgeous :) I also like Wallander and agree about Ken B, also I don't think the UK version has the same desolate quality as the originals. I prefer Krister Henriksson to Rolf Lassgard, I think he has more depth and a quiet intensity, Rolf is a bit over dramatic. Did you watch The Bridge and The Killing? Fortitude looks good but I don't get that channel :-(
Just read in one of today's papers that Spiral 6 is on the cards, but after the incident in Paris with the Charlie hebdo, theres a ban of action scenes being filmed so don't know if the series is delayed or on hold. :arghh:

C

chris lowe

Well I wached third episode , and now on the news I see Hilary Mantal is now a Dame , and supported by prince charles....
Learnt just on the news that Hilary Mantal calls her own home ...Wolf Hall ...
She's lucky she didn't get her own head chopped off, she's been very disparaging about the Monarchy so she's a big hypocrite for accepting the damehood.

C

chris lowe

Interesting , seems to be a fan of prince charles ......
Among other things she said Kate was a mannequin, and basically was only there to breed and she didn't see the Monarchy lasting much longer. I'm not an ardent royalist but if not a monarchy it leaves us open for President Blair or some other egually unsuitable person.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It is nice , love it there ....you dressed up , I am impressed ...

I love the second hand bookshop there ...

Have you been to felbrigg hall ....that is interesting ...much smaller and more natural gardens ...fields really ...you might have been ..kat

Yes, on another occasion they also did an Elizabeth themed day with picnics! I haven't been to Felbrigg, where is it? I also used to regularly go to Kentwell Hall, loved it there.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hubby recorded wolf hall for me as it was my bingo night out .
Will watch it over the weekend to catch up .

Strange how prince Charles supports someone (Hilary Mantal ) being so
negative towards the royal's and monarchy :confused:

Reactions: 6 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I loved the books Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies, but then I can't get enough of the Tudor period (though I really disliked that series The Tudors).

If you fancy an easier read than Wolf Hall, but an exciting Tudor adventure (Elizabethan, so later), try this book, Witness, the first in a series - only for Kindle though http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HGULBU0

K

Kat100

Yes, on another occasion they also did an Elizabeth themed day with picnics! I haven't been to Felbrigg, where is it? I also used to regularly go to Kentwell Hall, loved it there.
Hi , Fellbrig hall is not far from blickling ....
Just a few miles in fact , more rustic , rather than the grand home of Anne B ...

I must Google Kentwell Hall ....kat

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

I loved the books Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies, but then I can't get enough of the Tudor period (though I really disliked that series The Tudors).

If you fancy an easier read than Wolf Hall, but an exciting Tudor adventure (Elizabethan, so later), try this book, Witness, the first in a series - only for Kindle though http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HGULBU0[

hi Rosie thank you ....
I will give it a look ....:)

Nice to hear from you ...keep in reading and viewing ...kat

K

Kat100

Hubby recorded wolf hall for me as it was my bingo night out .
Will watch it over the weekend to catch up .

Strange how prince Charles supports someone (Hilary Mantal ) being so
negative towards the royal's and monarchy :confused:
It's all under cover :( hope you won at bingo ....Kat x you really do get about ;)

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , Fellbrig hall is not far from blickling ....
Just a few miles in fact , more rustic , rather than the grand home of Anne B ...

I must Google Kentwell Hall ....kat

Kentwells brill, they do lots of costumed events there. It must be over 20 years since I was last there!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Visted Salmesbury Hall (Lancashire) couple of weeks ago .
The chapel in here was dated 1402 .
Interesting haunted priest hideaway tower too .
Blood stain keeps reappearing on the floor boards (he was decapitated)
They have even replaced the original floor boards too .
Stain simply reappears ! - well spooky :woot::wideyed:

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Call me a cynic, but I'd be looking for a hole drilled in the ceiling above, and a member of staff carrying a can of red paint ..... :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Call me a cynic, but I'd be looking for a hole drilled in the ceiling above, and a member of staff carrying a can of red paint ..... :D
Nah - we looked up , around us , and below on the floor boards
All we could see was a worn water stain - were they had kept scrubbing the blood stain away !

K

Kat100

Visted Salmesbury Hall (Lancashire) couple of weeks ago .
The chapel in here was dated 1402 .
Interesting haunted priest hideaway tower too .
Blood stain keeps reappearing on the floor boards (he was decapitated)
They have even replaced the original floor boards too .
Stain simply reappears ! - well spooky :woot::wideyed:
Ooo noooo I am locking all,the doors and it is not even dark yet :eek: