Work issues

gavingfc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My employer has told me me having diabetes is irrelevant as I have had to take time off due to diabetic related issues .
Does anyone know what I can do as they don't seem to be taking my health seriously they haven't sat down with me and offered solutions they just say me being diabetic irrelevant .

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My employer has told me me having diabetes is irrelevant as I have had to take time off due to diabetic related issues .
Does anyone know what I can do as they don't seem to be taking my health seriously they haven't sat down with me and offered solutions they just say me being diabetic irrelevant .

Please take a look at this - suggest you print it off and show it to your employer.

https://www.thorntons-law.co.uk/knowledge/can-type-2-diabetes-be-a-disability

You may well find other articles if you search on Google.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

What kind of employer do you have? Is there a union? Generally, big companies have to obey the rules..... Small ones can be more problematic.

gavingfc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a small company so guess they don't want to take it seriously

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, would you mind telling us what those related issues were?, sometimes it's a question of them agreeing that any issues are directly attributed to diabetes. x

gavingfc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High blood sugar Gastroparasis they seem to think it's all irellevant and being diabetic dosent matter

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
High blood sugar Gastroparasis they seem to think it's all irellevant and being diabetic dosent matter

Thanks for replying. The best thing you can do is to get a Drs note when you go sick and get the Doctor to record that your sickness is diabetes related if of course the Dr thinks it is, most Employers won't take the word of the employee and I can understand why. In my experience, Drs do not like to do this but if your Dr is happy to say 'yes, this person is off as a direct result of diabetes' then it is something that your Employer cannot/should not ignore. Maybe record yourself exactly what it is that YOU would like your Employers to do and what adjustments YOU think should be made. If nothing else this can force them to record their replies (or lack of action) and if it comes to it, may help you take the matter further if appropriate. The problem is that type 2 per se isn't automatically classed as a disability (the links above are good to read) so maybe get your Consultant on your side too. My work for example expect me to control my condition to a large extent so if for example, I try to go off sick with 'high glucose levels' all the time they would want to discuss my general management and possibly get a report from my Doctor. x

gavingfc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's just it I've sent them the adjustments I would like them to make and they have ignored it .
I am forced to work 12 hour shift without a break so got to test my blood eat during my shift and they don't want to know .

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
That's just it I've sent them the adjustments I would like them to make and they have ignored it .
I am forced to work 12 hour shift without a break so got to test my blood eat during my shift and they don't want to know .

What is your actual role?

Workers are generally legally entitled to a 20 minute break if the work period is longer than 6hrs.

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work

Brompton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
By the government rules you are an asset to them because they can instantly claim 80% of your wage for every month your on THEIR books during this issue
. Don’t take any **** from them, without you their f****d
I’m T1 @ 41 years 5 injections “We are Assets”

Lottagelady

Oh heavens, what do you do, are you in contact with the public and able to social distance from public and colleagues?

It is illegal generally to work that long without a break, especially if diabetic which could actually make you ill!

Your company has to make 'reasonable adjustments' so I would get your GP or Consultant if you have one (do people generally have Consultants? I don't?) to provide you with a 'FIT NOTE' stating what those Reasonable Adjustments need to be, to protect yourself from Covid19 and prevent you becoming unwell by not being able to eat and drink etc!

Let us know how you go on ...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm going to take two sides here. It's important that any employer listens to your health concerns and tries to accommodate them reasonably. On the other hand for the greater majority diabetics T1 or T2 there is no need for it to affect your work attendance or performance. The important thing is not to use diabetes as the reason for work issues or attendance but you may well have some other health issues which are relevant; are you able to separate those out?

gavingfc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have spoken to them and asked them to make reasonable adjustments to support me within my work place my manager does not recognise that I am diabetic another colleague is diabetic and frequently falls asleep due to high sugars the manager does not understand how diabetes works and treats people as if they are like him at no point has he sat and spoken to anyone about it and says why should you get special treatment i.e asking for a break ect it's so frustrating .

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have spoken to them and asked them to make reasonable adjustments to support me within my work place my manager does not recognise that I am diabetic another colleague is diabetic and frequently falls asleep due to high sugars the manager does not understand how diabetes works and treats people as if they are like him at no point has he sat and spoken to anyone about it and says why should you get special treatment i.e asking for a break ect it's so frustrating .
I have to say that the colleague who falls asleep due to high blood sugar will not be managing his/her diabetes properly and needs medical advice from the GP. I'll be honest and say it's not something the manager should need to put up with. Before I was diagnosed, many years ago I had a T1 secretary who advised me and showed me where she kept her glucose. She never used her diabetes as an excuse and even when she had overnight hypos would come in to work and do a good job. I agree your manager should seek more guidance on what diabetes is and what we need to manage so that 95% of the time it's not a problem at work

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, specifically with regard to your diabetes, I note you are type 2 on diet only. I suspect your Employers do NOT consider this as a disability under the Disability Act so as far as they are concerned you are just like everyone else (there are probably others also with health conditions at your work soldiering on without breaks, which of course is WRONG under any work legislation, you might be better off all getting together and addressing this issue collectively). Can you tell us exactly what adjustments you are demanding they make (outside of the regular lunch breaks which legally you should of course get)? For example, a type 1 would have to be allowed to inject insulin or take more time to test for and treat hypo's etc. As has been said by many of us now, you must get full support from a Medical Practitioner (in a written report) to give to your Employer that states WHY you need this and that and what the affect may be if you don't get it, otherwise your work will continue to ignore you. Are you on any other medication that may affect you in some way? x

gavingfc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on empaglizofin all my colleagues are also diabetic one is type 1 and the other is type 2 but he hasn't taken medication for 10 years and eats and drinks what he wants so dosent care all I'm asking for is a lunch break and my diabetes to be taken seriously by my employer .

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on empaglizofin all my colleagues are also diabetic one is type 1 and the other is type 2 but he hasn't taken medication for 10 years and eats and drinks what he wants so dosent care all I'm asking for is a lunch break and my diabetes to be taken seriously by my employer .

Hi, what work do you do that makes them think you can do it for 12 hours without a break?

gavingfc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I work for a major high street retailer at there distribution centre watching cctv