World Carnivore Month 2020

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday
Ate when not hungry yesterday.
Today much better - lamb stew for breakfast with its jellied broth, 4 slices of thick streaky smoked bacon, coffees with cream. Still not hungry.

Reactions: jjraak

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rocked it up with some Spanish Serrano ham for lunch - not hungry enough for breakfast. Last of the meat in the lamb & crackling for tea with broth for tomorrow. If appetite stays low like this, perhaps I'll get some scale movement on Friday.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Air fried beef for dinner tonight.

8F070760-4751-487F-85C4-D0FBBD234282.jpeg

Reactions: jjraak and Lotties

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's the benefit of air-drying?

It’s fast. Hadn’t prepped anything this morning (usually set the Instant Pot / Slow cooker for while I’m out). This took 30 minutes.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s fast. Hadn’t prepped anything this morning (usually set the Instant Pot / Slow cooker for while I’m out). This took 30 minutes.
That is fast! My normal IP stews take 55min plus heat up.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria - chicken liver thawing for pate on Friday evening. Shame no toast :)

Stocked up again at butchers for weekend eats. Couldn't resist the mutton or pigskin but added a couple of sage sausages and shin of beef with pig trotters for jelly & fat.
Asked about goat spleen - maybe next week.

Reactions: Brunneria

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is fast! My normal IP stews take 55min plus heat up.

But frozen leftovers just a couple of minutes on pressure, QPR, and test the temp. MrB was astonished it didn't need more time that that, but the brick defrosting is done during the heating up phase, which is likely to be marginally longer.
I was so sceptical of the IP claims around Keep Warm and reheat that i tested them many times.

With a bit of prep, batch cooking and effective labelling one can have a decent variety of "ready meals" good to go.

IP + Airfryer makes for all manner of speedy deliciousness.

Our Airfryer does more tricks than just airfrying, but if sceptical, you can pick a small AF for £20-30 these days. Lidl and Aldi quite often have them on their offers.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But frozen leftovers just a couple of minutes on pressure, QPR, and test the temp. MrB was astonished it didn't need more time that that, but the brick defrosting is done during the heating up phase, which is likely to be marginally longer.
I was so sceptical of the IP claims around Keep Warm and reheat that i tested them many times.

With a bit of prep, batch cooking and effective labelling one can have a decent variety of "ready meals" good to go.

IP + Airfryer makes for all manner of speedy deliciousness.

Our Airfryer does more tricks than just airfrying, but if sceptical, you can pick a small AF for £20-30 these days. Lidl and Aldi quite often have them on their offers.
Not pressed any buttons on the IP other than 'meat' yet :) which is high pressure and I reheat (not frozen) by doing a run at 1min of pressure.
Like my dad was, I'm happy to eat the same stuff day in day our but picking up recipes that look amazing here and will try. Freezer is full of somethings -not sure what :)! On the lookout for an airfryer now !

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not pressed any buttons on the IP other than 'meat' yet :) which is high pressure and I reheat (not frozen) by doing a run at 1min of pressure.
Like my dad was, I'm happy to eat the same stuff day in day our but picking up recipes that look amazing here and will try. Freezer is full of somethings -not sure what :)! On the lookout for an airfryer now !

Oooooooh. Brown block surprise dinners. We've had some surprises with those!

I use manual for lots of things, ad I do my own (delicious, even though I sayin so myself) yoghurt.

I also have two. I wanted a baby to go with the 6ltr, but on Prime Day in the summer, the 6ltr was such a good price, I,went for the extra capacity and had it.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooooooh. Brown block surprise dinners. We've had some surprises with those!

I use manual for lots of things, ad I do my own (delicious, even though I sayin so myself) yoghurt.

I also have two. I wanted a baby to go with the 6ltr, but on Prime Day in the summer, the 6ltr was such a good price, I,went for the extra capacity and had it.
Sadly, probably not in a good way apart from the leg of lamb. I suspect white cabbage and spinach and bags of bones. There was a surprise bag of day-old chooks for the cats last time -don't want a repeat of that. :-

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly, probably not in a good way apart from the leg of lamb. I suspect white cabbage and spinach and bags of bones. There was a surprise bag of day-old chooks for the cats last time -don't want a repeat of that. :-

Bag of bones? Sounds like you have the beginnings of bone broth.

Do you have a bone bag? Once I had the pot, I started a bone bag for any bones we had after cooking, then once we have enough there'll be broth/stock on the horizon. Similarly a chicken carcass never reaches the bin without a store in the IP.

Just lob the bones, frozen or otherwise, with and onion carrot and whatever seasonings I fancy, and set it going. I give it the full 4 hours (except for chicken, I give less), then if it was big bones from the butcher, I might give it a bit even longer.

I tend to start it in the evening, then once finished its cooking phase, leave it on keep warm until morning. I mean, who wants to wait for it t o cool, for storage, and clear up in the eveni?

I switch it off I need the morning and take the lid off, but colder it to let it cool. In winter, I put it all outside the kitchen door to cool quickly, then if the stock is fatty and I want to be rid of some of it, I'll drop it into the fridge to solidify the fat, or if it's fine, make ready for storage.

If there's more than you have space to store, don't forget you can state it to reduce the quantity.

Whilst the potential isn't exactly endless, there's a lot to do I need the pot, that's low carb, Keto or carni friendly.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bag of bones? Sounds like you have the beginnings of bone broth.

Do you have a bone bag? Once I had the pot, I started a bone bag for any bones we had after cooking, then once we have enough there'll be broth/stock on the horizon. Similarly a chicken carcass never reaches the bin without a store in the IP.

Just lob the bones, frozen or otherwise, with and onion carrot and whatever seasonings I fancy, and set it going. I give it the full 4 hours (except for chicken, I give less), then if it was big bones from the butcher, I might give it a bit even longer.

I tend to start it in the evening, then once finished its cooking phase, leave it on keep warm until morning. I mean, who wants to wait for it t o cool, for storage, and clear up in the eveni?

I switch it off I need the morning and take the lid off, but colder it to let it cool. In winter, I put it all outside the kitchen door to cool quickly, then if the stock is fatty and I want to be rid of some of it, I'll drop it into the fridge to solidify the fat, or if it's fine, make ready for storage.

If there's more than you have space to store, don't forget you can state it to reduce the quantity.

Whilst the potential isn't exactly endless, there's a lot to do I need the pot, that's low carb, Keto or carni friendly.
Great idea! That's what I put them in for when I bought chicken feet for bone broth- too much hard work in the old slow cooker and I'd forgotten until you said.
Bones from the lamb or mutton neck are pretty clean including the cartilage after an hour but get thrown back in if they aren't. I try to make sure the meat I buy is bone in and chuck extras in - like trotters - if it's a bit light.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope this isn't a false dawn...
... BG today mostly under 5 mmol/L and now sitting in front of the telly at 4.5.
Zero carb carny and water-fasting 3days a week (72hrs) since Jan 2nd 20 and vlchf OMAD since Sept 19.
FBG down from 6.5 lab test in mid-Dec. Fasting Wed-Fri for autophagy.
Was only planning carny and weekly for Jan but may continue if I get some weight loss this week.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breaking fast with steak, & eggs. Oh and brawn & kidney, too. Maybe a tad of cambrizola cheese as it was in the reduced counter at Morrison.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Popped down the Internet rabbit hole today and, among other things, found out this from Dave Feldman.
1/ Triglyceride levels drop to a steady baseline after >12 hrs fasted, not 8 or 9 hrs.
2/ If you have high triglycerides (measured after 12hrs fasted) try giving up coffee for a month and retest.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breaking fast with steak, & eggs. Oh and brawn & kidney, too. Maybe a tad of cambrizola cheese as it was in the reduced counter at Morrison.

:D

i started carni a little over 2 years ago after days of negotiation with Mr B.
- wot about vitamins?
- wot about minerals?
- you will only do it for 1 week, won’t you?
- this is such a bad idea, I am really worried...

But as soon as I started, my body just felt relieved. Benefits showing within days. Guts improving...

Fortunately he saw those benefits happening to me too, and bless him, he switched from DEEPLY sceptical to fully supportive. The hero.

Reactions: Flora123

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

i started carni a little over 2 years ago after days of negotiation with Mr B.
- wot about vitamins?
- wot about minerals?
- you will only do it for 1 week, won’t you?
- this is such a bad idea, I am really worried...

But as soon as I started, my body just felt relieved. Benefits showing within days. Guts improving...

Fortunately he saw those benefits happening to me too, and bless him, he switched from DEEPLY sceptical to fully supportive. The hero.
@Brunneria. Cracking!!
The particular makeup of my LCHF diet (not found the cause yet) tended to give me dry skin. Not sure if it was temporary but I knew i'd eaten too little veg of some kind.
Have been fasting and Carny since Jan 2nd 20 and no dry skin issues. Causing a little acidic issues down under prevented by occasional drinks of lemon juice in water.
Hasn't yet improved my persistant poor sleep (>7 years on various 'healthy diets')
Not told anybody of my extra restriction to Carny; some at work know I fast. Mum made little comment this Saturday and last when all I ate in the restaurant was meat. Today was an 8oz steak in Wetherspoons; she didnt want the quinoa side salad which actually looked yummy. I'll delete the side next time.
Wasn't hungry so, apart from coffee & cream, skipped breakfast. Had some home-made crackling and not hungry still. Great food in the fridge including a mackerel & a herring. Maybe tomorrow.
Edit - tea was a couple of sage and onion bangers. Still, I wasn't really hungry and could have done without.

Last edited: