Worried about travelling

Jilly Poll

Hoping someone can help? We are travelling by air for the first time since being diagnosed with type 1 and am feeling understandably nervous. We are flying with British Airways who have been far from empathic. In fact they directed me to “travelling with a disability “ which I felt was awful. So - if anyone can give me any help I would be grateful. Thank you.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you be a bit more specific, is it a long haul flight or a short one, and what are you worrying about?

Jilly Poll

It’s only short haul this time but we do have long hauls planned. I have looked at the diabetes uk website and it does suggest contacting airlines as security may need to know - especially as I wear a Libre and also about carrying insulin etc. Just feel they could have been a little more helpful rather than suggesting I read “travelling with a disability!”.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s only short haul this time but we do have long hauls planned. I have looked at the diabetes uk website and it does suggest contacting airlines as security may need to know - especially as I wear a Libre and also about carrying insulin etc. Just feel they could have been a little more helpful rather than suggesting I read “travelling with a disability!”.
Tagging @In Response , who I think has done a lot of flying from the UK and will likely be able to ease your mind. ;)

EmmaK_2907

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve travelled a lot since being diabetic - honestly never had any major issues!

I always mention when going through security that I have needles in my bag (or, more recently, that I am wearing a pump). If you’re using a pump, you can do through the normal gate thing by the bay scanners but be aware you cannot use the full body scanners (you’re best asking for a manual check if selected).

Keep your insulin in your hand baggage - it doesn’t travel well in the hold! Also make sure it’s in the original boxes with prescription labels on.

I used to always ask for a letter from my GP but I’ve honestly never had to show it so stopped doing this - I’ve travelled Europe, Americas, Asia, Australia.

Pack more than you’ll need - just in case - and, if you can, spread it across your bag and whoever you are travelling with. Keep enough in your hand luggage in case you are delayed too.

The heat, and general travelling, can affect your control so make sure you test more often. You might also find your insulin requirements are a bit different. Nothing to worry about - just something to be conscious of.

If there is anything in particular you are worried about, please feel free to ask. Honestly, though… you’ll be fine!

Reactions: plantae and Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
You'll be fine, my recommendation is to make sure you always have hypo treatment easily to hand, all those airport corridors can induce one and you don't want to have your glucose in an overhead locker if you get hypo, you want it where you can get it immediately.

Reactions: plantae and Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the tag @Antje77
Yeah I fly a lot and have no problems.
Needles are too small to be seen by security so there is no need to tell them (unless you want to).
Libre is not affected and you don't have to tell anyone as it has never set off alarms (unless you want to).
Insulin is a liquid so it needs to be in the clear plastic bag along with shower gel, etc..When I remember to put it there, no one asks about it.
I do not carry original boxes or prescription and am not asked.
I do have a letter from my doc which u have shown once in 20 years but lives with my passport so a handy insurance just in case.
The letter only covers me so I never give my diabetes kit to anyone else to carry as that may risk it being confiscated. That said, most of my flying is for work and I travel alone so it is not an option
All of my diabetes kit (at least twice as much as I think I will meed) is carried in my hand luggage. The insulin may not like the hold conditions but, more importantly, my bags may be delayed.

This approach has treated me well traveling Africa, America, Middle East, Europe, China, ...

As @EmmaK_2907 says, you will be fine. Travel is a perfectly normal thing to do and diabetes should not stop you.
If you are anxious, you can get a sunflower lanyard.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven’t travelled since being diagnosed but there’s heaps of useful advice in this thread already that I may not have thought of
That said before Covid I travelled a lot for work and always carried a letter from my Dr listing my medications (some which if I skip might or lose are on par within losing my insulin pretty much), and always carried my medication in my carry-on luggage. Nobody has ever looked at my Dr letter but it’s an easy thing to get and good ‘insurance’ I figure. To be honest I’ve had more queries about the many bags of silica gel that I stuff in my camera and equipment bag, and the one time I forgot I had an unopened beer in my bag which got confiscated so I had 3 of the free in-flight beers to ‘teach them a lesson’ hahaha

BruceT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, bad manners, aggressive behaviour and unkindness.
Like previous responses, I've travelled a lot by air over the last 40 years or so, both longhaul and short haul, and have never had an issue. Whilst I do carry a doctors lettter, I have never in all those years been asked for it. I still carry it as an "insurance" with my other flight papers, even though it's quite aged now !
Years ago, I used to regularly mention it at security, but never a problem, and certainly for some years now I don't bother. Most important I find, is to make sure all your diabetic stuff is in your hand luggage, and insulin is in a cool bag. As previously mentioned, always take some extra supplies as I find, differing temperatures abroad can make quite a difference to insulin requirements, but you can deal with this by way of adjustments, or temporary changes. One never knows either about flight delays. I was abroad when covid kicked off and return was delayed by quite some time. All dealt with ok because of extra supplies.
Like you, I use a Libre and have never had an issue going through security.
I suspect nowadays, type 1 diabetics at/on airports/flights are so not unusual, and personally, I have never felt the need, certainly over the last ten years or so, to even mention it let alone declare it as a disability.
Have a great time, and do not be nervous. Nothing at all to be nervous about........enjoy !
Once you've flown, I'm sure you'll wonder what you were ever concerned about. Just remember, you're in charge of all this and can deal with anything.