Worried about what to eat

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so I am getting my head round all this and as much as I know I'm going to have to do the low carb diet, I know it's going to be really tough and it worries me a bit. My average food at the mo is toast or cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and then whatever I cook for dinner....normally oven chips or mash with something. I also love cakes and chocolate. I've maintained my weight at a good level until last year it started rising and I'd not made changes to what I eat. I tried to diet and it hasn't shifted so I think this was where the Prediabetes must has started.
I don't like many vegetables, and I don't like meat as in its normal state (steak, chops, bacon) only sausages or turkey/chicken. I also don't like nuts, onions and so much more and I'm worrying my dislikes will make this impossible. Please can you lovely people help me a little as to where I begin as I'm lost thank you..

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A quick menu for one day while you look for alternatives, how about?
Scrambled eggs and (high percentage meat) sausages for breakfast.
Lunch a chicken salad, do you like salad? With high fat mayonaise.
Dinner, a fish steak, maybe salmon with the veggies you do like, though you need to avoid most root veggies. You can even have sugar free jelly and cream for dessert.
Have a look at this thread where a load of us low carbers post what we’ve eaten each day:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1041#post-1937884

Edit for typo

Last edited:

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Ok so I am getting my head round all this and as much as I know I'm going to have to do the low carb diet, I know it's going to be really tough and it worries me a bit. My average food at the mo is toast or cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and then whatever I cook for dinner....normally oven chips or mash with something. I also love cakes and chocolate. I've maintained my weight at a good level until last year it started rising and I'd not made changes to what I eat. I tried to diet and it hasn't shifted so I think this was where the Prediabetes must has started.
I don't like many vegetables, and I don't like meat as in its normal state (steak, chops, bacon) only sausages or turkey/chicken. I also don't like nuts, onions and so much more and I'm worrying my dislikes will make this impossible. Please can you lovely people help me a little as to where I begin as I'm lost thank you..
Dinner, a fish steak, maybe salmon with the veggies you do like, though you need to avoid most root veggies. You can even have sugar free jelly and cream for dessert.
Have a look at this thread where a load of us low careers post what we’ve eaten each day:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1041#post-1937884

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
How about vegetable soup?
before you say no, think about it, blended it tastes quite different.
you can flavour with herbs, spices, curry, chilli - whatever you fancy
Add a few lentils to increase protein content, without adding loads of carbs.
but whatever mix of veg you use, no potatoes.

Good luck with finding a diet that is healthy and suits you.

edited out a typo.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngiH

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I began by learning to count how many carbs I normally eat and using my meter to test which carbs in what quantities my body struggles with. Some keep a diary, some spreadsheets, I used an app and could scan the barcodes of packaged foods and store regular meals.

I scoured the forum for low carb tips and swaps of which there are many. e.g. my sausage and mashed potato bake is now sausage and mashed celeriac bake.

When you don't regularly eat cake and sweet milk chocolate your taste buds can change. I would have told you before that I couldn't eat broccoli, I am now loving aldi's tender stem broccoli this winter. The list of things I now eat or have at least tried in the last 7 years is huge.

Many of us have allergies, other health conditions and preferences that we have to work around. I'm sure you will find a sustainable and healthy way for you.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing to bear in mind is that as you lower carbs tastebuds change. As you drop the carbs try different veg again a few times. Cook them different ways too. You might surprise yourself. Be open to trying things you previously haven’t liked with as open a mind as possible. The more foods/ways of cooking you can find the wider your choices are going to be and the easier this will be. Same goes for meat. I didn’t like a lot of meats as a kid. Once an adult cooking for myself found that it was the near cremation style of cooking favoured by my mother that put me off lol

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @HSSS , my tastes have changed hugely since going low carb. I now like sweet peppers and coconut which I didn’t before, plus I enjoy spicy flavours more. I thought I couldn’t tell the difference between diet drinks and regular but I can now, normal ones taste like treacle these days!

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at this thread where a load of us low carbers post what we’ve eaten each day:

Edit for typo
Thank you, most of that I'd eat so that's already a good start.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank You, this is all good advice and I know it's not going to happen overnight.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank You, this is all good advice and I know it's not going to happen overnight.
A phrase we often use on this forum is, that it’s a marathon not a sprint.
Oh and one thing I didn’t cover on your OP, chocolate isn’t completely off limits now, try 85% or higher, the higher % the less carbs. If you can’t stand it that dark now, work your way up. I was a Dairy Milk girl but now enjoy 100%. Whatever % you choose try to stick to just two or three squares and nibble it slowly, letting it melt in your mouth

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Try planning meals for what you can eat, and make up shopping lists and weekly menus with consideration for the number of meals a pack of something represents.
I used three different shopping lists at one time, so that I did not get bored, then refined it down to two - even now I rarely buy mushrooms and tomatoes on the same trip - just for the novelty o the switch over.
It is a little thing, but all the small changes and tricks, added together, make a huge difference.

Reactions: Pasha and AngiH

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As someone who is born and bought up in pure Indian vegetarian family. I despised taste and smell of meat or eggs. I have had never seen a raw chicken in 28 years of life. But for survival I learnt how to cook and eat. It took nearly 6 months to get used to animal products. It could be less or more for you. But you will get used to it.
YouTube videos have helped me alot with cooking part and making meal tastier as per my liking.

potatohead66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A phrase we often use on this forum is, that it’s a marathon not a sprint.
Oh and one thing I didn’t cover on your OP, chocolate isn’t completely off limits now, try 85% or higher, the higher % the less carbs. If you can’t stand it that dark now, work your way up. I was a Dairy Milk girl but now enjoy 100%. Whatever % you choose try to stick to just two or three squares and nibble it slowly, letting it melt in your mouth
i saw this somewhere else and have been having a small amount of dark chcolate in attempt to wean myself of Dairy milk as well! Like you say nibble it and let it slowly melt is the way forward! :)

Reactions: AngiH and Rachox

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I- even now I rarely buy mushrooms and tomatoes on the same trip - just for the novelty o the switch over.

I’m finding it all too easy to buy the pricy Costco rainbow medley cherry tomatoes AND the pre-sliced baby bella mushrooms to have at the same time!

Reactions: jjraak and AngiH

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese has become my new best friend! Good as a snack, lovely as cauliflower and broccoli bake. Might try scrambled egg with cheese in.....

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheese has become my new best friend! Good as a snack, lovely as cauliflower and broccoli bake. Might try scrambled egg with cheese in.....

I think @Emma_369 raved about that on her trip to vegas...sounds very do-able.

and 2nd on the cheese...love it with jalapeno peppers, and never tried before but goats cheese was a surprise hit.

Nice to see you doing so well with the diet.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think @Emma_369 raved about that on her trip to vegas...sounds very do-able.

and 2nd on the cheese...love it with jalapeno peppers, and never tried before but goats cheese was a surprise hit.

Nice to see you doing so well with the diet.
Yes cheese in scrambled egg was my surprise Vegas find. I did try to recreate this morning - think I needed way more cheese so needs more practice for me to perfect!

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh thank you both, that's on my to try list! I'm 5lb lighter in as many days so it's all good, the bg levels are reasonable too.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes cheese in scrambled egg was my surprise Vegas find. I did try to recreate this morning - think I needed way more cheese so needs more practice for me to perfect!
Don't forget, now you've piqued our appetite, a recipe WILL be required..;)

Last edited: