Approved Would you be able to lose 15% body weight in order to manage, or even reverse T2 diabetes?

pl21aai

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It has been documented that in patients with BMI >25 (overweight and obese), a 15% loss of body weight can reverse T2 diabetes or prevent onset of diabetes in pre-diabetics. The difficulty is, losing this weight and maintaining it in the long-term is a huge challenge!

As part of my masters degree I am researching the types of challenges and motivations people experience in losing this degree of weight, and any specific support or resources they might require from healthcare professionals to achieve this.

I'd be really grateful if you could take 5 minutes to complete this survey. The results may help to inform the support received by T2 diabetics in primary care services.

https://herts.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eKSz4ZL57rBvByK

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: saky and filly

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has been documented that in patients with BMI >25 (overweight and obese), a 15% loss of body weight can reverse T2 diabetes or prevent onset of diabetes in pre-diabetics.
In some percentage but most certainly not all.
You seem to assume that 15% weight loss is some kind of "magic bullet" but DiRECT shows that over time it isn't so great for everyone.

Survey completed and happy to discuss further if you are interested.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done the survey but there is an assumption that T2 remission follows weight loss. In my case it was the other way round. I was in normal BG range within four months of starting keto: I didn't lose 15% of body weight until another eighteen months had passed.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed. I got remission then finished losing the weight. And now am back to square one after 4yrs of remission for a variety of reasons and the weight gain followed the loss of remission.

Last edited:

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The survey also seems to assume that the only possible way to loose 15% of your body weight is by subjecting yourself to near starvation with meal replacement shakes.
With LCHF and some intermittent fasting I came down from 19st to 15, that's something like 21%

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even Prof Taylor has said any method is fine to achieve the loss. I suspect this is somehow linked or referring to the shakes plan the nhs are pushing

• Agree
Reactions: catinahat

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
203 lbs down to 164 lbs
Loss of 39 lbs
19.2% of body weight (I think)

Reasonable control at the moment, but no way am I in remission.

Prof. Roy Taylor told me some years back that getting down to your weight and waist measurement from your late teens gives you a good chance of remission, but no guarantee.

For me that would be 161 lbs and 32" waist.

I briefly made the 161 lbs but haven't got down to the 32" waist yet.

Reactions: filly

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
|Tried to answer this but the system said I hadn't answered Q.11 but would not allow me to submit any answers.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found it difficult to answer as I have had many failed attempts to lose weight. Its only the last one (lc) that has worked.
My answers would have varied depending what method I had tried.
My aim was to reduce my bg, rapid weight loss was a happy side effect. I didn't intend to diet and my resultant way of eating isn't hard to maintain.

• Winner
Reactions: zand and HSSS

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No feedback from @pl21aai so far.
I am using Chrome and a NoScript script blocker but have enabled the survey.

Just tried it in Microsoft Edge just in case it was browser specific, but no luck.

Might try it on a mobile (Android) device.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@zand @Bildad @KennyA
You all seem to have filled in the survey.
Could you please say on what device with what operating system what browser, please?

I am on a PC running Windows 7 and have tried Chrome and Edge.