Yet another newbie

Sydneyhorn

I just got my diagnosis of type 2 diabetes yesterday and I'm still in the shocked, confused and denial stage at the moment.

As a 55 year old male I actually went to the GP for that test all men of a certain age should have. It was only when my GP did a urine test that the subject of diabetes came up. After he did a meter test (10.5), and I had a full "blood works" at the hospital, the diagnosis was confirmed.

I've got a thousand thoughts and questions vying for attention in my head but, thanks to this forum, there are the first signs of clarity and acceptance forming in my mind.

I'm awaiting a letter from my GP laying out my next steps, including the ubiquitous Metformin prescription, a full health "mot" schedule and a NHS educational course for diabetics.

It's going to be tough but I'm sure I can adapt. I LOVE bread and I like a drink. But I already exercise a lot and have a BMI that is only just overweight (25.7). If I can get rid of the "naughty carbs" and cut out the drink I'm hoping, with the help of the meds, to control this as much as possible.

Anyway, sorry if I've bored anyone with my ramblings. I appreciate the support this forum has already given me in the 24 hours or so since I found it. Hopefully, when I become an expert, I will be able to return the favour to the next batch of "newbies".

Mike

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have you decided you want to take metformin? You have a choice about this and like many of us here you might want to try low carb first.
My GP agreed to let me do low carb and review after 3months, by then the drop in my HbA1c was good enough that they were happy for me to continue.
There is loads of advice here, and lots of recipes for good substitutes for you favourite foods, plus some foods that you might have thought were bad for you but you can eat when dropping the carbs.

Reactions: Sydneyhorn

Sydneyhorn

Have you decided you want to take metformin? You have a choice about this and like many of us here you might want to try low carb first.
My GP agreed to let me do low carb and review after 3months, by then the drop in my HbA1c was good enough that they were happy for me to continue.
There is loads of advice here, and lots of recipes for good substitutes for you favourite foods, plus some foods that you might have thought were bad for you but you can eat when dropping the carbs.

Tbh I've only had the briefest of conversations with my GP when he gave me the blood test results.

I'm still in the data gathering stage so have not made any definite decisions. My initial thought was to go with the Metformin and see how it goes. I am getting all the info and advice I can on how to approach the low carb diet and the pros and cons of taking medication in conjunction with it.

Thanks for the reply. The first hand experiences and advice on here is invaluable to me (and probably many others!) at the moment!

Reactions: coby and SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the board. I do that too: researching and gathering data.

There is a lot of good info here, voices of experience, results, recommendations, recipes ....

Good journeying!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Drink? Mine's a rum and diet coke or vodka and diet bitter lemon.
The bread maker is busy with the latest experimental low carb loaf, and I am contemplating bacon and sausages for breakfast, maybe with mushrooms.
I really think that if I was told that it was all a mistake and I could go back to 'healthy' eating, I'd be really disappointed.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

While you are waiting for anything else I recommend that you buy a meter. A meter is the tool that will help you make decisions about what you eat. It is impartial and has no biases.
You are already aware of the need to reduce your carbs so you are already ahead of the game.

This site has a loti of useful resources so I encourage you to read around. Feel free to post if you want information, support, ideas for substituting for favourite food or drink or simply to vent, The people here are awesome and very willing to help. As you say- what you learn you can pass on to others.

Welcome and I look forward to reading more posts from you.

Reactions: coby and Sydneyhorn

Sydneyhorn

Hello and welcome,

While you are waiting for anything else I recommend that you buy a meter. A meter is the tool that will help you make decisions about what you eat. It is impartial and has no biases.
You are already aware of the need to reduce your carbs so you are already ahead of the game.

This site has a loti of useful resources so I encourage you to read around. Feel free to post if you want information, support, ideas for substituting for favourite food or drink or simply to vent, The people here are awesome and very willing to help. As you say- what you learn you can pass on to others.

Welcome and I look forward to reading more posts from you.

Thanks for the replies and hugs! I really appreciate the feedback.

Yes, I ordered a "Tee 2" online last night so should be getting it soon.

One thing that is apparent from what I'm reading is that there is no "one size fits all" solution to this. Lots of trial and error and, of course, getting plenty of information and advice off here ahead!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing that is apparent from what I'm reading is that there is no "one size fits all" solution to this. Lots of trial and error and, of course, getting plenty of information and advice off here ahead!
And not only are each of us individual, but those individual needs have a sneaky way of changing over time too...! What worked one month may not the next. I find accepting 'good enough is better for me than chasing 'perfection'

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I can get rid of the "naughty carbs" and cut out the drink I'm hoping, with the help of the meds, to control this as much as possible.

Cut out a few more carbs and avoid the meds altogether?

I'm saving them for a time far into the future assuming I ever in fact "need" them.

Reactions: coby

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got my diagnosis of type 2 diabetes yesterday and I'm still in the shocked, confused and denial stage at the moment.

As a 55 year old male I actually went to the GP for that test all men of a certain age should have. It was only when my GP did a urine test that the subject of diabetes came up. After he did a meter test (10.5), and I had a full "blood works" at the hospital, the diagnosis was confirmed.

I've got a thousand thoughts and questions vying for attention in my head but, thanks to this forum, there are the first signs of clarity and acceptance forming in my mind.

I'm awaiting a letter from my GP laying out my next steps, including the ubiquitous Metformin prescription, a full health "mot" schedule and a NHS educational course for diabetics.

It's going to be tough but I'm sure I can adapt. I LOVE bread and I like a drink. But I already exercise a lot and have a BMI that is only just overweight (25.7). If I can get rid of the "naughty carbs" and cut out the drink I'm hoping, with the help of the meds, to control this as much as possible.

Anyway, sorry if I've bored anyone with my ramblings. I appreciate the support this forum has already given me in the 24 hours or so since I found it. Hopefully, when I become an expert, I will be able to return the favour to the next batch of "newbies".

Mike
Hi @Sydneyhorn

The 4 stages of DX & beginning the recovery

1st step is being told
2nd step is finding your way here
3rd step is buying a meter.
4th step is begin low carving.

Should be the instruction sheet given at DX in my opinion

For me the meter was *** is that

Home health glucose navii meter...for me

See many other on chemist site/ eBay, etc.

@Rachox does a nice post on ranges

Low carb is what you make it
Your life
your health

I began slowly

It takes time to overcome decades of bad advice .

Once my meter began showing me the difference various foods made, I delved deeper

By the time my next HBA1c was done, I was fully immersed
Slid from 57 and rising, due to following EATWELL :rolleyes:
Down to 42 in 3 months
good enough for me to continue the diet.

Welcome to club no one wants to join, btw :)

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Sydneyhorn and welcome. Thanks for the tag @jjraak

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Home Health have recently bought out the Gluco Navii, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Disclaimer, I haven’t used the discount codes that I have quoted recently so I don’t know if they are still current.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Sydneyhorn

I've not been contributing much lately so I thought I'd give an update.

It's a good news story that will hopefully help other newbies be a bit more positive.

I had my belated 3 month blood test this week. My original HbA1c was 59.6 (7.6%). The new result is 36.6 (5.5%).

So how did I get here? Mostly by taking the advice of the people on this forum. So a big thank you to you all.

I decided to go with the Metformin. The first tablets made me feel sick but my GP switched me to the slow release ones and they've been fine.

I got a T2 meter and spent the first couple of months testing regularly to see what made my blood sugar spike. I'm basically on a very low carb diet but have found that I can have small amounts of potato without any problems and I eat Livlife bread (available at Waitrose & the CO-OP) which is low carb.

I've also found that the odd beer is fine along with my normal drink of choice, Whisky.

So, after the initial shock and panic, I've adapted my life and it's all good. I still have the odd craving for the forbidden fruit but I know if I really really want something I could have it. I just have to make sure I have some "good days" afterwards.

If you are new and are feeling lost and scared, know that we have all been there but things do get better.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I've not been contributing much lately so I thought I'd give an update.

It's a good news story that will hopefully help other newbies be a bit more positive.

I had my belated 3 month blood test this week. My original HbA1c was 59.6 (7.6%). The new result is 36.6 (5.5%).

So how did I get here? Mostly by taking the advice of the people on this forum. So a big thank you to you all.

I decided to go with the Metformin. The first tablets made me feel sick but my GP switched me to the slow release ones and they've been fine.

I got a T2 meter and spent the first couple of months testing regularly to see what made my blood sugar spike. I'm basically on a very low carb diet but have found that I can have small amounts of potato without any problems and I eat Livlife bread (available at Waitrose & the CO-OP) which is low carb.

I've also found that the odd beer is fine along with my normal drink of choice, Whisky.

So, after the initial shock and panic, I've adapted my life and it's all good. I still have the odd craving for the forbidden fruit but I know if I really really want something I could have it. I just have to make sure I have some "good days" afterwards.

If you are new and are feeling lost and scared, know that we have all been there but things do get better.
Star Pupil! Haha but seriously WELL DONE YOU! x