Yipee !!!!!!!

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just over 5 months ago I was diagnoed as T2, a routine blood test showed an HBa1c of 95. Iwas devasted and to be honest, scared. Anyway, after a weekend trawlling the internet I chanced upon this site and the advice it freely gives out. I went on a strict carb free diet and a regime of testing , a month later my hba1c was down to 57, a vast improvement. I went for my 3 monthly blood test on Tues and today I got my results, my hba1c is .......................................< drum roll>....................................36 !!!!!!!!!. I've lost over 3 stone in weight, down from 17 st to less than 14 ( need to lose another stone) and I feel wonderful (except for this bloody cold). My Doctor has taken me off medication and wants more bloods in 2 months, just to be on the safe side. He says " yes I'll always be a diabetic but as far as he's concerned I know how to contol it". I had a long chat with him about the benefits of testing and he, in principal, agreed with me but for every patient like myself who embraced the challenge, he said he has dozens who would do nothing, or overworry themselves (a bit of a cop out excuse, but I do understand the dilemma). Anyway. if i can do it so can anyone and you know what it's not even been that hard," lose your belly, keep your feet," simple really. Last Tues night I had my first pint of beer in 4 months and it felt good.. I have to go now I'm off to the chippy for a big portion of fish and chips to celebrate !!!!! only joking

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my hba1c is .......................................< drum roll>....................................36 !!!!!!!!!

Absolutely brilliant! Well done!:)

Last Tues night I had my first pint of beer in 4 months and it felt good.. I have to go now I'm off to the chippy for a big portion of fish and chips to celebrate !!!!! only joking

Actually that is what I really did do after I received similarly good news. Well, I had the pint of beer, and I resumed drinking alcohol regularly, although switching to wine and only in moderation, unlike before. The trip to the chippy ... I did not do that, it would be a bridge too far!

Going back to regular booze (in moderation) did not harm my A1C, which continued to decline. (If you try this, "Your Mileage May Vary.")

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just coming up to one year from diagnosis - and last night I was dancing!!

I thought that my dancing days were long gone - but someone was asking about the moves of a dance, and I got up and showed them - I really don't recognize myself these days.

Being diagnosed with diabetes does seem to do some people a favour, in an odd sort of way.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
That's really BRILLIANT!! Well done. :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fabulous! Well done.

Reactions: Prem51

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tend to agree with your doctor, self testing of BG, is pontless for most people unless they are educated and surported in doing it. Hence why does the NHS not offter this education and surport?

Anyone that finds this website, has already proven they are more motivated then most people with Type2, and therefore anyone reading this is very lickly to benfit from self testing of BG....

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He says " yes I'll always be a diabetic but as far as he's concerned I know how to contol it".

I only just noticed that bit.

Your doctor is a keeper (mine too). Hold onto him for all it's worth!

I had a long chat with him about the benefits of testing and he, in principal, agreed with me but for every patient like myself who embraced the challenge, he said he has dozens who would do nothing, or overworry themselves (a bit of a cop out excuse, but I do understand the dilemma).

I am one of those who "over-worry." So I deliberately chose not to self-test (just have the A1C every three months).

We each have our own way of doing this diabetes thing. To have a doctor who can accept this seems to be really unusual, strangely enough. Subtlety, empathy, providing good information. Fantastic.

Reactions: Prem51 and shoesy24

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done indeed.. great news and great numbers. And all in such a short time.. if only we could get the word out to more people..

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We had a lads ( old men actually) day out at the races in August and I was determined to go ,though it meant no ( very litte) booze and food. When I met up in the pub, I got some odd looks and to prevent further embarresment I explained I was o a diet because of my diabetes. Two guys , who I have known for years said " Oh I've got diabetes". I asked what they dd to control it. One sid I just jab myself with this ( insulin pen) every now and again, the other lad said he takes tablets !!!!! Anyway I pointed them to this site and I'm pleased to say one of them has got quite serious about his diet and has lost a stone since august. He's quite annoyed that no one has told him about his eating habits before

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@brianmt that's absolutely cracking - well done! And what a triumphant and cheery thread title - it's made me smile!

:)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on getting the Unicorn award!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Like the saying you chose "lose your belly, keep your feet".. very good.

I also like "see all your feet (without belly getting in way) and keep your feet...

I like quirky quick thought shots like that.. thank you.

Well done... absolutely fantastic results very quickly.

Be so, so proud of your achievements..

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks people for all your kind remarks, still buzzing tbh, seems such a long time since that dark day. I suppose the next few days/weeks are going to be important, no backsliding !!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks people for all your kind remarks, still buzzing tbh, seems such a long time since that dark day. I suppose the next few days/weeks are going to be important, no backsliding !!

My original diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes was shocking, and -- as in your case too -- it was from a routine blood test therefore came right out of the blue.

Now, and this is hard to explain, when the low-carb method completely "reversed" the disease within two months it was if anything an even greater shock, because I thought this outcome was very unlikely! I should have listened to my doctor, who expressed cautious optimism when he put me on the low-carb diet.

The second shock was large enough that true "backsliding" was the last thing on my mind. The only things I did when I got the good news in mid-April were (1) abandoned the food-portion control as I did not want to lose any more weight, and (2) resumed drinking alcohol, in moderation. Subsequent A1C readings continued to fall, confirming my decision to relax things ever so slightly.

Once again, well done!!!