bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally no idea.. what Type of diabetes do you mean?
Stress can raise blood sugar levels but as a standalone treatment I would think there were far more effective ways of bringing errant blood sugars under control.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have done yoga. It had not direct impact on my diabetes management but it reduced stress which reduces blood sugars.

I suspect you also need to consider the type of yoga as some is more intense than others so may impact blood sugars more than the more meditative variety.

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For me, it depends on the time of day I did yoga, but usually had a hypo at some point during the class, but again, depends on the type of yoga you want to do.

With regards to management long term, if you stick with any sport that's new to you, it will eventually lower your insulin requirements due to having a healthier body.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yoga is great for physical and mental well-being. It builds strength and helps me to relax, both. It can lower blood sugar so it's important to have a hypo treatment in your kitbag, if you attend a class.
(On the whole, though, I'd give myself about 4/10 for diabetes management.:banghead:)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I have done yoga it has no impact on my sugar levels immediately as it is not very strenuous exercise - although I think long term it may reduce levels as it is good for your stress levels etc. I walk most days, again I find it does not immediately effect anything but I think probably controls things long term.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do yoga twice a week. I also walk, dance and do other exercise classes. None of them consistently show any raising or lowering of my bg. My measurements always vary widely.
However I continue to do yoga, and my other exercise, because they help my mental well being, my flexibility, my stamina and probably more.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use my trampoline and then do some stretching and yoga poses and movements as the surface is kinder to my joints than any mat. I can also fall on it and not be hurt which is a great advantage.
As far as I can tell my blood glucose is controlled by my diet, as exercise of any kind has never made significant differences.