Yogurt

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As said this stuff for example. Available from all good supermarkets - and Tesco :D . Not the Yeo Valley or similar which clearly shows Greek style. The Kri Kri at 10% would keep you fuller for longer but not sure if anyone but Waitrose sell it. The M and S one is spiffing. You get the idea - NOT Greek style.

Attachments

• 1687033817071.png
    1687033817071.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot 2023-06-17 21.34.17.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-17 21.34.17.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey,

This is hurting my head, all I want is plain yogurt.

Some some explain like I’m 5 what I need to be looking for? - I just want some yogurt
Full Fat Greek Yogurt: no flavouring, no sweetening, no low fat - just plain yogurt.

Lidl do one, and so do Sainsbury's. Probably others as well. I don't like yogurt although I do cook with it, but the Powers That Be say that Sainbury's is better.

Reactions: jjraak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As said this stuff for example. Available from all good supermarkets - and Tesco :D . Not the Yeo Valley or similar which clearly shows Greek style. The Kri Kri at 10% would keep you fuller for longer but not sure if anyone but Waitrose sell it. The M and S one is spiffing. You get the idea - NOT Greek style.
I have the yeo valley one in your picture, is that not good?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the yeo valley one in your picture, is that not good?
If it is Greek style usually not but the carbs in that one are 4.7 per 100 gms whereas the Kri Kri is 3.7 per 100 gms, the M and S one is 4.2 and Fage 5% is 3 gms. . Dr Bernstein's infamous law of small numbers but to be honest the Yeo Valley is better than fruit yogurt or the ones with honey. As always, use your meter to test the impact and if you like the one you have and it doesn't spike you stick with it.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When we say full fat that's anything from 5-10+% fat.
Low fat is under 5% fat (usually) and often has sugar and thickeners added.

Always check the carbs measure on the back, it can vary across manufacturers/batches/dairies, amd although the ingredients for the full fat usually only lists milk, I don't trust the processors to start sneaking in other fillers etc

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: AloeSvea and jjraak

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Think Waitrose only sell the big pots of Kri Kri. I used to buy the small pot so I wouldn't go to mad!

• Informative

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fage Total 5% Greek yogurt has 3g carbs per 100g. That’s the lowest I’ve found and is my go to.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Full fat Greek yogurt for example Fage is good, full fat keep you fuller longer, make sure you don’t pick “Greek style” it’s not true Greek yogurt and will probably contain added sugars etc

I checked the ingredients for Yeo - just milk. Ditto Asda Greek Style. What's the problem?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I checked the ingredients for Yeo - just milk. Ditto Asda Greek Style. What's the problem?
It depends how many carbs you have per day or per meal, I eat less than 20g carb a day and no more than 6 per meal, so every carb counts for me. All the carbs in the yogurts are sugar

An individual tub weights 150g
Yeo is 4.7g carb per 100g so that’s just over 7g carb per tub
Asda 4.2 so that’s about 6.5g per tub
Fage is 3.2g per 100g - so that’s 4.8g carb per tub

I would normally eat about 1/2 tub with berries and maybe a couple of chopped walnuts

It may appear a bit pedantic but I have to count every carb, and you may eat more carbs than me and that’s perfectly fine we are all different, the only way to know what’s right for you test and see :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No real problem unless you're on a very restricted carbs diet, it's just that it's slightly higher carb than some other brands. I've alwas eaten Fage/Total for as long as I can remember and definitley well before I was ever diabetic, but I do occasionally have the Yeo Valley natural and greek style yoghurts (normal fat, no added sugar/flavours/fruits etc., just siome live cutlures) and have no issues with them. But I'm a bit flexible with carbs and just aim to keep below 50g a day, and my glucose levels stay within my chosen target ranges per meal.

(I don't believe that counting carbs can ever be an absolutely exact science and both natural and processed food may vary slightly content-wise each time we eat it).

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
All the 'Greek style' I checked had more carbs even if they didn't contain thickeners. But the labelling is due to EU regs that Greek yogurt has to be made in Greece, so you may find a Greek style which is fine.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And even branded ones can vary in carb content...depends on which milk they use at the time

Frenchdb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey,

Some some explain like I’m 5 what I need to be looking for? - I just want some yogurt
My advice is to get yourself a yoghurt maker and make your own. Mine cost about £30. It contains a fine strainer to remove liquid after fermentation and produces fabulous, thick yoghurt. I also know exactly what's in it: 1 part cream to 9 parts full fat milk; that's it!

• Useful
Reactions: filly and ianpspurs

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey,

Full fat, plain yoghurt with no ingredients other than milk and (if listed) bacterial cultures. But Greek / Greek Style are very popular in this forum, and far nicer (in my view) than many others. Due to shopping in a different place to normal for it, I've got Onken at present and Greel / Greek Style is far nicer in my view.

• Friendly
Reactions: ianpspurs