Your carb nemesis?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it tells you the second potato was bigger than the first? :)
They are frozen ones so very much the same size The potato is just an example of how the same food can test differently on different days. Others have said the same that their levels vary when testing the same foods. Our BG levels can react differently to the same foods tested at different times

Reactions: Lamont D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are frozen ones so very much the same size The potato is just an example of how the same food can test differently on different days. Others have said the same that their levels vary when testing the same foods. Our BG levels can react differently to the same foods tested at different times

I was joking! Of course our levels vary and the same food can test differently on different days, which is why it is worth it not to scrub something off your menu until it has been tested several times and some sort of trend emerges. It is also advisable not to stop testing even after control is gained for the same reasons.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I would never assume that you wouldn't get different readings for the same meal, different times, different days!
That's why it is essential to keep a food diary, as @Bluetit1802 has mentioned, that it is trends over time that you really should monitor. Even different times of the year and what phase of the moon it is, can throw up unusual readings.
I don't think I've become obsessed with testing, (I think!) But if you have intolerance to a lot of foods as I have, I need to know by testing, experimenting, experience how to discover what different foods within those certain groups of foods I can eat.
As not being obsessed about testing, I once tested for about a week, baked beans.
I do love 'em but I did it and I set it out, so I could find out which brand, how many, sauce, no sauce, let cool, reheat in microwave, or in oven, or try them cold, with other foods, with different fatty foods including meat, veg and some salad stuff!
Well, I found out, that normal cooking, just beans was a definite no, none at all!
All brands! The only way I could eat beans, was to have about ten, warmed up in oven with meat that was fatty, with lots of salad veg!

Needless to say, I don't bother, as it is so much messing around!
It's not the only food that I've done this with! But you get the drift!

As I've said potatoes are my nemesis, just a little bit of a small roasties, even cooked in goose fat and roasted will give me a spike up to double figures from normal, every time, never mind what time, day or full moon!

So the great advice about having jacket potato with baked beans for a really good diabetic lunch would be so bad for me personally that I should put a claim in about medical negligence to the dietician, dsn and doctors that I had appointments with all them years, when I knew something was wrong, but they didn't have a clue!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I succumbed just no way to resist pancake and maple syrup on Shrove Tuesday it's ingrained. But it was just one and as we know just one won't hurt you will it. ;)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As not being obsessed about testing, I once tested for about a week, baked beans.
I do love 'em but I did it and I set it out, so I could find out which brand, how many, sauce, no sauce, let cool, reheat in microwave, or in oven, or try them cold, with other foods, with different fatty foods including meat, veg and some salad stuff!
Well, I found out, that normal cooking, just beans was a definite no, none at all!
All brands! The only way I could eat beans, was to have about ten, warmed up in oven with meat that was fatty, with lots of salad veg!

I have posted this before, but baked beans were dreadful for me. Like you I tried every which way except cold (yuk) and had to eliminate them. That was 3 years ago. After the baked beans thread recently I had another go with a smallish portion with a fry and grill up. Bingo! No difference with or without them, so now they are a regular with my fry up/grill ups. What a difference 3 years has made.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have posted this before, but baked beans were dreadful for me. Like you I tried every which way except cold (yuk) and had to eliminate them. That was 3 years ago. After the baked beans thread recently I had another go with a smallish portion with a fry and grill up. Bingo! No difference with or without them, so now they are a regular with my fry up/grill ups. What a difference 3 years has made.

I might have another go with some fatty gammon and a fried (in goose fat) egg!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

linkwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bisto gravy!
Bread of any sort except Lidl rolls
Batter

Therefore, I can say flour is my nemesis.

New and roast potatoes are Ok in small portions, chips are quite good if double or triple fried.

Don;t Lidl rolls contain wheat? Why can you tolerate them but not bread?

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know which is worst - I don't touch bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and a whole host of other root vegetables and other carby type things and still I get BG readings in the teens. I eat a few crackers when I consume cheese, other than that I really try to keep carb intake to a minimum. Beer? Four bottles at home and a couple of pints in a pub since Christmas - and I felt guilty about each one!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Looking back through my log it has to be mashed potato most pastas and definitely Chinese take away.

Though a small amount of rice seems OK. of the pastas for some reason tagliatelli in small amount is not too bad and I can get away with dauphinoise potatoes

Last edited:

bobneil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night I think I found another enemy.
Onion rings. The greasy, battered, fast food type. I may have not taken enough insulin, but I got a spike of 15 after eating some.

McGints11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For me it's potatoes!

During my long time of testing and experimentation with all types of food, carbs and sugars, vegetables and protein, I have discovered that my quickest spiking food is spuds! I just can't eat a bite without a dramatic rocketing of my blood glucose levels. I have never heard ofpotato intolerance, wheat, yes! But not potatoes!
Wheat is just as bad, even glucose is less than spuds and wheat!

Which type of food spikes you worse or higher?

Strangely, my BGLs are ok with a modest amount of potato; this has bought some happiness in my diet. But, any form of rice or any pasta and BOOM my BGLs rocket up.

Peter

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Potatoes in small amounts is my best carb option, worst option is bread/wheat.

D

Deleted member 371625

Mashed spuds are a definite no no.
However cut 50/50 with celeriac or sweet potato and no significant effect!

Daily slice of seeded whole wheat is fine but white bread is the devil's work.

Reactions: EllsKBells

bobneil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tonight I'm having pizza. Never had it with diabetes before.
I'm going to try and survive the ordeal by splitting my dose between [before meal] and [hour after meal], that was suggested to me because of the high fat content on top of the carbs.

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have a query about this whole thread - please note, I am NOT diabetic, just pre-d, so may have got the whole thing wrong - but I thought the height of a BG spike was reasonably irrelevant, it is how quickly it goes down again? When you all talk about potatoes or whatever giving you a "spike" do you mean not just a single high reading but one that stays up more than a couple of hours after ingestion?