1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Your carb nemesis?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Lamont D, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

I've established it's wheat which is my main one but all the usual suspects do me in.

So why I felt inspired to have a large slice of Victoria sponge with both jam and butter icing 1/3rd of the way into a 15 mile walk is slightly beyond me. All I can think is I've spent a week surrounded by all of my nemesises of wheat, sugar, potatoes, rice, starchy veg and fruit with no berries, butter, cream or olive oil available. (I've been sneaking out for a small tub of clotted cream a day and dreaming of butter and berries. Not together..) I went up to 14.4, but 10 miles later was 4.8.

Back home tomorrow and my normal food routines. Next time I do this, I go self-catering.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, we have switched too. I got bored of watching other people tuck in to gorgeous food while I ate meat and the only 2 veg that were on the OK List.

But turns out Self Catering is FAB. We get supermarket deliveries to the holiday destination, and I always choose food that is just a bit special and a bit decadent, with minimum prep, so it still feels like a holiday. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

I do keep forgetting about supermarket deliveries.

It's also not helping I'm vegetarian along with low carb.

My mind is made up! Self-catering retreat it is next time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MsMelis

MsMelis Type 2 · Member

Oatmeal and spaghetti-- sky high sugars. And sometimes pasta just tastes so good!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. bobneil

bobneil Type 1 · Well-Known Member

For those of you saying pizza - does that still apply if you split your dose? 1/3rd of it just before and 2/3rds an hour or so later?

6. julie56

julie56 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Had a tasty veggie pasta dish a few weeks back, knew it was wrong but husband had cooked as a treat. was 6.0 before eating and 20.0 two hours later. No more pasta for me :-(

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. juliecanning1

juliecanning1 Type 2 · Newbie

Definitely pasta for me, 4.6 before a fabulous seafood linguine 15.4 two hours later !

8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I regularly make a spaghetti or macaroni meal for my husband and something else for me - I take half the minced beef already cooked with onion, then add peppers, mushrooms maybe a beansprout mix, sometimes lemongrass and simmer for a few minutes. I'd far rather have that than the spaghetti option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've only tried pizza twice but it felt like a shot in the dark both times - once sent me into double figures and the other hypo. I tried half and half split dose.

10. bobneil

but what was it 2 hours after the 20.0 measurement? I am still not sure how harmful spikes are, I'm more focused on what I'm at when the insulin is done its course.

11. julie56

julie56 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find when my bgs are high it takes many hours before it falls, I'm not sure whether I produce enough insulin for a speedy reduction. I am pretty active and low carb normally but still struggle to keep bgs within target.

12. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Pancakes with maple syrup and it's Shrove Tuesday tomorrow oh dear

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Think I'll be having something else!
    Maybe, pork steaks!

14. bobneil

Oh my goodness. First time eating perogies since i got diabetes.
    I love them but I have to take way more insulin than I thought!

15. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

My only carb nemesis would be sugary drinks. However, they're also my saviour as they're the fastest hypo treatment :)

16. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Because with the finger prick test you will probably get a different result each time you test the same food because the BG levels we get at any given time is different hour to hour day to day they vary so much depending how we are feeling and our activity I can eat a jacket potato with cheese one day and get a level two hours later below 7. I can eat the same and next time get a level of 8 to 10 two hours later so what does that tell me that I can or can't eat them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jo123

Jo123 · Well-Known Member

My carb nemesis's are all succumbed to under the influence of red wine ☺️ so fortunately don't have too much impact on my blood sugar. They normally involve lindt balls, cheesecake or savoury biscuits (with cheese).

Day to day I don't have any cravings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mashed or a Jacket potato..... ....not just because of the spike.........they give me terrible heart burn.........but they are so tempting.....though I can manage a few chips or a couple of microdot roasties without too much of a hike......got to be the fat..

• Like Like x 1
  19. 13lizanne

13lizanne Type 2 · Expert

Bread and I love bread, crusty outside, soft and fluffy inside was my favourite before type 2 I have another medical condition but before that one appeared my favourite bread was multi seeded, rough, freshly baked ..... Sigh

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Maybe it tells you the second potato was bigger than the first? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook