Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We all have different pallets.. When I feel "decadent", I hit the cheese board... Or reach for da pig snacks..
A cheese straw or a bread stick on the occasion I need a poke in the "right direction"... ;)

Yes that's my chosen dessert, a good cheese selection with some nice oatcakes.

btw @Jaylee you need to get that eye twitch seen to :)

M

mist

For me it's potatoes!

During my long time of testing and experimentation with all types of food, carbs and sugars, vegetables and protein, I have discovered that my quickest spiking food is spuds! I just can't eat a bite without a dramatic rocketing of my blood glucose levels. I have never heard ofpotato intolerance, wheat, yes! But not potatoes!
Wheat is just as bad, even glucose is less than spuds and wheat!

Which type of food spikes you worse or higher?

Same, I love a nice roasted potato and also bread too, a nice French stick with cheese..yum! :D

Reactions: Lamont D

Hotpepper20000

Before I found out I was Type 2 I would enjoy a few slices of a good Italian pizza and a beer once a month. Didn't drink beer any other time and only had pizza with beer.
Mr Hotpepper still enjoys pizza and I just have on bite of his. No beer of course.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Same, I love a nice roasted potato and also bread too, a nice French stick with cheese..yum! :D
Next, you'll be saying, that a chip buttie is not so bad for you!
Grrrrrr!

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Most definitely bread first, then mashed potato( plain boiled not too bad) I suffer from IBS and pork is a no no but seem fine with bacon or ham! oh and apples no go, oh and raw onions

Reactions: Freema and Lamont D

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me the worst is anything with oats. I have largely given up potatoes, although I can metabolise a few roast spuds.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mash or Jacket spuds are a no,no. Chips and roasts are better but the best spud wise are tinned! (guessing it's all to do with those resistant starches) Pasta is out of the question, rice ok in small amounts, Bulgar wheat isn't too bad. Bread 1 slice burgen soya & linseed, 2 of M&S Spelt & Sunflower (if I can get it) or Lindl High protein. I do miss my porridge :arghh:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mash or Jacket spuds are a no,no. Chips and roasts are better but the best spud wise are tinned! (guessing it's all to do with those resistant starches) Pasta is out of the question, rice ok in small amounts, Bulgar wheat isn't too bad. Bread 1 slice burgen soya & linseed, 2 of M&S Spelt & Sunflower (if I can get it) or Lindl High protein. I do miss my porridge :arghh:

In the M&S Spelt & sunflower what the carb amount per slice?
Sounds nice!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After a bit of trial testing when I got a meter, I just accepted that there was half a planet of things I could not eat - other than the Lidl protein rolls for which I give thanks whenever I find some still available to buy.
If I eat any quantity of things I consider densely carb my meter shows ! - so I don't do it.

Even now that I have run out of test strips, I don't tempt fate - except that it is now past 5 o'clock and I have not eaten anything and only drunk water. Second time this week. I don't 'do' fasting, so something is going on - maybe I'll find out eventually.
I do wish that someone would do studies into what happens when a T2 stops eating high carbs. I mean what happens naturally, rather than trying to prove some hypothesis or what is accepted as fact.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't dared to experiment with full-on carbs- waiting until my levels come down lower. To date carrots seem to be my biggest spike - went up 3.5 mmols after eating them in a stew.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
After a bit of trial testing when I got a meter, I just accepted that there was half a planet of things I could not eat - other than the Lidl protein rolls for which I give thanks whenever I find some still available to buy.
If I eat any quantity of things I consider densely carb my meter shows ! - so I don't do it.

Even now that I have run out of test strips, I don't tempt fate - except that it is now past 5 o'clock and I have not eaten anything and only drunk water. Second time this week. I don't 'do' fasting, so something is going on - maybe I'll find out eventually.
I do wish that someone would do studies into what happens when a T2 stops eating high carbs. I mean what happens naturally, rather than trying to prove some hypothesis or what is accepted as fact.

Never mind the studies because some times people don't tell the truth and tests can be altered to suit someone's agenda.

In my experience the change to a diet that suits the individual is probably the best one for them.
It has to do with likes, taste, background, ethnicity and of course if it's available and affordable!
A very low carb diet makes your body adapt to blood glucose levels in or around the normal levels, since losing all them carbs, is something that your body and brain will do everything it can to persuade you to eat the carbs!
Your body go from burning carbs for energy to fat burning!
This, if you do it long enough will reduce your average blood glucose levels, Hba1c!
It also reduces your insulin resistance as this can be a precursor to diabetes!
It also reduces your excess insulin if you have too much!
Which in turn loses you weight and makes your body run smoothly!
Regardless of what you read, my experience is that if your body has normal blood glucose for long periods, it has so many benefits, to reduce things like inflammation and helps with the reduction in symptoms, and because of the healthy for you, your health improves in so many ways!

If you want the science, I'm sure someone will post it!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted exactly that on the other diabetes forum and a moderator removed it claiming that was not accepted medical teaching - I think he's a doctor, but I didn't check too closely at the time.
I have a BSc - was in the Biology Chemistry Physics set for A level GCE, so I thought that all that you wrote was pretty plain to see - but it seems not.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For nearly twenty years, I have been fighting the advice about carbs, even my endocrinologist seems to follow the you must have carbs with every meal mantra, though through my journey he accepts that I am healthier on a very low carb lifestyle.
I know my body and it works better without even a modicum of carbs!
Low carb works because the likelihood of the insulin resistance will diminish because more of the glucose and insulin is used up naturally!