8-week Blood Sugar Diet

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm looking at this 8 week diet (and a very similar one) but they all say pasta is bad but on Trust me Im a Doctor (previous series) they found that pasta cooked left to go cold (then becomes resistant carb and not spike BS so much) and then additional found if reheated raises the BS by 50% less and becomes additional fiber. If that's the case (sorry perhaps I'm a bit slow at my age) isn't it ok to eat pasta in small amounts??

Everyone is different, the only way to tell is to test with a meter before and two hours after eating. I have replaced pasta with spiralised courgettes - does not sound like a substitute but after a while one gets used to them!

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone is different, the only way to tell is to test with a meter before and two hours after eating. I have replaced pasta with spiralised courgettes - does not sound like a substitute but after a while one gets used to them!

I say test at one and two hours just to make sure. It's surprising how things can spike at an hour but be ok at two...,x

Andrew Brown

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Other
I haven't read this book yet, but want to know that is there something written in the book about eating more fish because my friend told me that salmon meal helps to cure diabetes. Does she write anything related to that? I need to eat more salmon food?

captainlynne

Update. Tomorrow will have been following this for 7 weeks. I've lost 24 pounds and at least a dress size. Fasting BG was 10.9, now normally in 5s with the occasional 6. One more week to go. Unless I decide to stay on it longer. Or I might go for 5:2 or even 4:3 Mediterranean style.

Reactions: 8 people
After reading The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet, I've lost 13 pounds in two weeks and my waist has gone from 49" to 44" ( the measurement used by the author). The book is written by Dr Michael Mosley, with a foreword by Prof Roy Taylor (he of the Newcastle Diet). My Bg has also shown a significant improvement. From (fasting) 10.9 to 5.8.

The plan is basically a low-carb Meditterranean Diet, eating 800 calories a day for the eight weeks, with advice on what to do after the eight weeks.

I'm so happy I saw this book and even happier I decided to start on ihe plan straight away, rather than waiting for 1st January. My DN is very happy with my results, and I'm now seeing her monthly so she can monitor both my progress and BP in case my BP mess need to be reduced.

I have been following this diet (nearly) over three weeks and have dropped some weight as well as dropped my blood sugar levels, and working to maintaining this improvement . I am blogging my progress on hungrydiabeticdieter.blogspot.com .

Reactions: 6 people

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are brilliant results, mine are mostly in the 5's but really hoping to see a 4 soon

I am on day 20 and fasting bloods have been

6.8, 6.2, 5.7, 5,8, 6.0, 6.2, 6.1. Week 1

6.6, 5.7, 6.1, 5.8, 5.6, 6.0, 6,0. Week 2

5.5, 5.6, 5.6 , 6.1, 6.0, 5,7. Week 3

Those pesky 6's keep creeping in but less of them now. The weekly average is definitely going down so remain hopeful. I was a bit worried about losing too much weight as I have already lost a lot over the last 12 months so expected losses to be slow but have lost 7lbs in 3 weeks.

Update for this week.

Weight loss has slowed this week only losing 1lb which I'm ok with as this brings my total loss over the last 12 months to 40lbs!

Week 3 finished like this 55, 5.6, 6.6, 6.1, 6.0, 5.7, 5.7

Week 4 5.5, 5.6, 5.8, 5.5, 5.9, 5.5, 5.3

My average fasting bloods had been

Week 1 6.11
Week 2. 5.97
Week3. 5.74
Week 4. 5.58

On a day to day basis I am feeling things are static so the average numbers are helping to show me that there is a downward trend.

Half way in and 4 more weeks to go. My aim is to get my weight down
just a little more and to see some numbers in the 4's.

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are all great results. Has it been tough? X

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At times it has been tough. I'm used to fasting, having done 5:2 for a year but very little calories everyday takes it's toll sometimes, not just physically but mentally. 4 weeks has gone quite quickly so hopefully the next 4 will too. 5 more lbs will take me to a BMI of 22.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow 22! That's great. I used to do 5:2 and it did get easier. Oxo cubes were my salvation

captainlynne

Hard to believe, but Friday is the last day of 8 weeks following this plan. Today I've lost 26 pounds, my fasting BG is still usually under 6, and I've gone down one, nearly two, dress sizes. Still lots more weight to lose though.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hard to believe, but Friday is the last day of 8 weeks following this plan. Today I've lost 26 pounds, my fasting BG is still usually under 6, and I've gone down one, nearly two, dress sizes. Still lots more weight to lose though.
What are your plans for the next eight weeks, captainlynne? I'm not necessarily advocating you need to break life down into 2 month slots, but when I was trimming up (waist and blood scores), I found it helpful to have a series of short term plans, with objectives, then regular reviews (with myself).

Well done on your eight weeks. It looks like you benefitted.

captainlynne

Thanks AndBreathe. I'm not 100% certain, still trying to decide whether to stay on 800 calories every day, or to restrict calories Monday to Friday and ease up a little at weekends. I've a few days away in Prague in March so might change that week to less calories at weekend before and after trip and careful choices while I'm away. I have to say I feel so much better following the BSD

LiveinHope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just ordered the said publication. I know Diabetes UK and some GPs are not in favour of this 8 week low cal diet as it is only being trialed in Newcastle and Scotland. I listen to Michael Mosly on the radio and he is very interesting. It sounds hard to stay on 800 cals a day though.

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not micro calorie counting, but most days I manage 800 cals with a small breakfast, lunch and evening meal. If I have a small snack of nuts (very tempting) that takes me over, but otherwise its OK. Quite surprising how much one can eat for 800 cals actually!

Just ordered the said publication. I know Diabetes UK and some GPs are not in favour of this 8 week low cal diet as it is only being trialed in Newcastle and Scotland. I listen to Michael Mosly on the radio and he is very interesting. It sounds hard to stay on 800 cals a day though.

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your plans for the next eight weeks, captainlynne? I'm not necessarily advocating you need to break life down into 2 month slots, but when I was trimming up (waist and blood scores), I found it helpful to have a series of short term plans, with objectives, then regular reviews (with myself).

Well done on your eight weeks. It looks like you benefitted.

Well done @captainlynne

For me, just completing week 5, I will return to 5:2 after week 8, as I had been doing it for a year before this but as I am at a weight I am happy with and don't really want to lose any more, I will probably just do 6:1 for maintenance and then 5:2 if I see my weight creep up a bit or after holidays, Christmas etc. I am vowing never to put this weight back on again. 13 months of losing weight and 42lbs down.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaynesmith

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone done this diet and reduced or come off insulin? I have been on Slimming World diet for 5 months and have lost 1½stone and reduced my insulin considerably but
would like to stop it it altogether .

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone done this diet and reduced or come off insulin? I have been on Slimming World diet for 5 months and have lost 1½stone and reduced my insulin considerably but

There are a few threads on the subject where someone may comment. Conversely, you could start a thread of your own to ask the specific question.

I know @ickihun is going through a process of reducing her medication, with insulin next in her sights, but I don't think she's specifically following this regime. Maybe you and she could "buddy up", as you seem to have similar objectives.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @jaynesmith . Your right the best way to be able to reduce your insulin is through weight loss and reduced carbs.
I've chosen to do a very low carb diet with full fat but not extra fat.
I've been advised to reduce my portion sizes. I've never tried that before. Well not in the last 10-15yrs. I'm currently giving great attention to low carb to form a good habit. Once I'm happy it is natural for me I will tackle portion control, in the same way.
Also my exercise regime stopped whilst I was suffering canagliflozin side affects. Now not on it and readdded the 12lb I originally lost. Due to weeing less and less insulin.
I'm resuming exercise on saturday with a lively swim. (Hopefully) From there I am hoping to increase exercise to incorporate cycling and minijogs. All have to be achieved in the least stressful way otherwise my bgs increase.
This insulin has to go or atleast decrease to half of what I'm taking now.
I reduced my insulin to just evening meal 44 units with canagliflozin.
Now 30 before breakfast, 30 before dinner and now 36 with supper, all very low carb. My aim is to at least half my needs with portion control and an exercise regime.
It's only taken 13yrs to understand my diabetes.
Well I'll rephrase that. It's taken me becoming a member of these forums and listening to good practice. :)