Type 2 Diabetes Cookbooks/Diet Books?

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Hi, I'm a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic and I wondered does anyone have any books about Diabetes diet, cookbooks for type 2 diabetics, especially for type 2 diabetics who want to loose weight?
Books that you think are good, books good for people in the UK - i.e. not full of American ingredients or American instructions like "use your oven broiler", which doesn't mean anything here in the UK.
Books that are a help if you want to loose weight with Type 2?
Anything helpful like that, I'd appreciate your opinions and advice.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Trudi deakins Eat fat comes to mind........she has other good book s too

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am also recently diagnosed. I am following a low GL diet so I am eating slow release food. Patrick holford has website with recipes on and meal p!banning. I am beginnings to realise that diabetes is all about challenging our organisation skills!

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
and maybe this one:
The Everyday Diabetic Cookbook Paperback – 30 Sep 1995
by Stella Bowling (Author)

These are just a few I've been looking at on Amazon...

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am also recently diagnosed. I am following a low GL diet so I am eating slow release food. Patrick holford has website with recipes on and meal p!banning. I am beginnings to realise that diabetes is all about challenging our organisation skills!
Challenging is definitely the word! It's taken over my life so much that I don't have time for anything else anymore. I hate it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi, I'm a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic and I wondered does anyone have any books about Diabetes diet, cookbooks for type 2 diabetics, especially for type 2 diabetics who want to loose weight?
Books that you think are good, books good for people in the UK - i.e. not full of American ingredients or American instructions like "use your oven broiler", which doesn't mean anything here in the UK.
Books that are a help if you want to loose weight with Type 2?
Anything helpful like that, I'd appreciate your opinions and advice.
There are a lot more people with diabetes in the USA than the UK so you may need to learn the lingo. Broiler = grill, for example. I would also recommend buying measuring cups as they are often used in US recipes. It makes life easier.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Fran

Have you got a meter to test how different foods affect you, we are all different so one persons perfect diet won't be any good at all for others.

When I was first diagnosed i borrowed "diabetic" cookbooks from the library, some of these contained recipes that were so high in carbohydrates and sugars from honey or maple syrup etc that I was in disbelief that they could be marketed as being for diabetics.

I found a couple that were OK, mainly based on a low carb eating plan such as atkins and rose elliots low carb vegetarian. As a veggie a lot of the atkins recipes were for ideas only.

I also looked at the many websites that are available, if I liked a recipe i would try it and test my BG(blood glucose) levels before and after, if I didn't spike I would copy the recipe into a word document so that now I have my own recipe book :) I like to alter recipes to suit myself (veggie and no sweetener etc).

Have a look at ewelina website diabeticgoodbaking and the recipe sections on this forum, there are some fantastic ideas on there.

OR ……. alter your favourite recipes to a low carb/sugar alternative, for example I used to love dauphinoise potatoes, I now make it with celeriac instead of potatoes