Savoury Breakfast, low carbs?

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Hi, I'm thinking of trying this Hi Fat /Low Carb diet for a while, see if it helps.
I've been doing the Slimming World diet and had some success with it (lost around 2st 6lb since Sept last year) but I worry about the diabetes aspect of my life. I feel I should be doing something about that part of things. And not just trying to loose weight alone.
So here I am today with my fasting meter reading and a cup of coffee, wondering what I can eat for breakfast today - before it becomes lunchtime. Or else I'm going to end up fasting for a long time again and feeling hungry all day again.

I can't take sweet things this early in the morning, and mostly not much at all through the day until I finally give in after a few days and eat a bit of really dark choc... or some fruit... or both.
I love savoury things, cheese and tomatoes... um it's so hard to think of anything that isn't carbs.
What do people have for a savoury breakfast?

(Yes, I'm reading the low carb thread.)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The easiest savoury breakfast is, for me, scrambled eggs with some grated mature cheddar stirred in. It's what I often have for breakfast at work if I'm working the breakfast shift.

Alternatively, there is always bacon and eggs, fried egg on lidl protein roll, boiled eggs and lidl protein roll buttered soldiers. Mushroom omelette, cheese omelette, chorizo omelette, smoked haddock poached then flaked, mixed with a little Greek/Turkish yoghurt and used as a filling for an omlette Kippers with a poached egg on top. Lidl Protein Roll bacon sandwich. Toasted Lidl roll with cream cheese.

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I take it you're a fan of the Lidl protein roll !!!!!!!;)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pattern emerging here.
Eggs, but it can become a bit repetitive.
I try to avoid processed meats, so not a lot of bacon, or smoked haddock as it's usually wet smoked with a chemical dye.
Oddly enough, I had scrambled eggs, cooked with a bit of creme fraiche, and smoked salmon for breakfast having said that.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm thinking of trying this Hi Fat /Low Carb diet for a while, see if it helps.
I've been doing the Slimming World diet and had some success with it (lost around 2st 6lb since Sept last year) but I worry about the diabetes aspect of my life. I feel I should be doing something about that part of things. And not just trying to loose weight alone.
So here I am today with my fasting meter reading and a cup of coffee, wondering what I can eat for breakfast today - before it becomes lunchtime. Or else I'm going to end up fasting for a long time again and feeling hungry all day again.

I can't take sweet things this early in the morning, and mostly not much at all through the day until I finally give in after a few days and eat a bit of really dark choc... or some fruit... or both.
I love savoury things, cheese and tomatoes... um it's so hard to think of anything that isn't carbs.
What do people have for a savoury breakfast?

(Yes, I'm reading the low carb thread.)
Breakfast is a tricky one. I'm not a big fan of fried eggs and it makes really difficult for low carb breakfast. As I'm not very low carber I have a slice of rye bread with soft boiled egg or sausages.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I take it you're a fan of the Lidl protein roll !!!!!!!;)
Oh yes! You know there is always that one thing you really hate missing out on when you start to low carb? Well, mine was bread in general and boiled eggs with toasted buttered soldiers in particular - and the Lidl Protein Roll, while not being totally breadlike does let me have my favourite breakfast occasionally which stops me feeling hard done by.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast is a tricky one. I'm not a big fan of fried eggs and it makes really difficult for low carb breakfast. As I'm not very low carber I have a slice of rye bread with soft boiled egg or sausages.

You don't have to fry eggs to be a low carber. There is nothing wrong with boiling them.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You don't have to fry eggs to be a low carber. There is nothing wrong with boiling them.
It just leaves me with fewer options. Omelettes are great and so many variations but I need to force myself to eat them. The same with scrambled egg, fried eggs. I wish I liked them more

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No Lidl.

Love scrambled eggs (couldn't eat them every day) but I have to go downstairs into my Mum's kitchen to do that, this means I run the risk of being cornered by Mum and having her find something to complain at me about... she manages to find something almost everytime. (she has memory problems due to an op a few years ago. Not her fault, but hard to live with even so.) We are here to ensure she doesn't set fire to the house, but we keep as much to ourselves as is possible - less arguments that way.)

So we have a health grill, an airfryer, a toaster and a kettle upstairs in our own lockable area - I feel 'safer' up here and have a lot less indigestion. Lol! And because of all that I've tried various alternative ways of doing scrambled eggs but only cooking them downstairs on the hob really works for me. (Eggs roll off the grill as our floors are uneven.)

So... no protein rolls as no Lidl.
I'd like to try egg rolls sometime (to replace a wrap) but I'd probably have to do that downstairs.
Not a fan of bacon, or sausages... which doesn't leave much to choose from apart from veg - and I'm so bored with just veg all the time!

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Okay, looking for lunch now... breakfast opportunity has vanished into the distance - again!

P

paula.nolan42

one of my favorite Breakfast items is Smoked Salmon - on Burgen Bread or the Lidl Roll or with eggs, scrambled, boiled or poached. Turkey Rashers are also great, with mushrooms and/or eggs and/or beans. Hummus on Toast

I think that I look at food items that can be eaten any time of the day - not traditionally breakfast or lunch items.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
one of my favorite Breakfast items is Smoked Salmon - on Burgen Bread or the Lidl Roll or with eggs, scrambled, boiled or poached. Turkey Rashers are also great, with mushrooms and/or eggs and/or beans. Hummus on Toast

I think that I look at food items that can be eaten any time of the day - not traditionally breakfast or lunch items.

As it happens, I've got some smoked salmon... (dunno what Burgen Bread is, that's new to me.) A couple of poached eggs might be a nice change... hmmm.
Made hummus a couple of days ago, haven't thrown it away yet, but I'll have to - it tastes gopping! Yuk! Wasted a perfectly delicious roasted red pepper too! But I can't stand the tinny, nasty, kind of huffy taste of the chick peas.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Buy a microwave, if you have space, it can do a lot of things, and scrambled eggs work well in it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have quite a lot of cooking appliances there. Could you fit in a small microwave? I find that such a simple way to make scrambled eggs; just crack them into a Pyrex jug, or similar, a splash of milk (or cream for those who prefer it), a knob of butter, seasoning, then blast in the micro for short times (depending on the power of your oven), stirring in between blasts. Light, creamy, with cheese or anything else added along the way.

Cooked bacon, cooked sausages, hard boiled eggs (no need to refrigerate eggs, although I usually do if storing cooked eggs). Nuts in yoghurt can be savoury, if you choose to make it so.

What do you like to eat for lunch? Why not just try that, but earlier.

If I am stuck for something (I can't always get plain yoghurt where I am currently), I sometimes have a can of sardines or mackerel tossed through a few salad leaves. No need for the salad leaves, if that means a trip below. The oily fish is extremely filling and satisfying.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Buy a microwave, if you have space, it can do a lot of things, and scrambled eggs work well in it.
We bought one - Mum's microwave downstairs broke - it stopped working entirely. Ian did a lot of research and we hunted everywhere until we found exactly the same make of microwave, it had a slightly different design of buttons, but in the same places. She hated it, she hated it so much she won't let us throw the old one away, she keeps saying she's going to get it fixed, despite the fact that doing so would cost a lot more than the new microwave did - if it's even possible - we don't think it is.
But!!! she's recently started heating her drinks in there (which is pretty much all she used to use it for) so I'm thrilled to bits that it's (finally) working for her. Can't take that away from her, can't afford another one - not right now anyway.
Er... this is downstairs in the kitchen.
And.... I have tried making scrambled eggs in that microwave - it was even worse than doing it in the Air Fryer up here, mind the Airfryer only resulted in scrambled eggs of any sort once, the other times it turned into an omlette on top with soggy uncooked egg on the bottom.
I've been looking into a Raclette, looks like that MIGHT be able to do scrambled egg, but I could only find one YouTube video with scrambled eggs mentioned, and they showed the eggs whisked and poured into the little dishy thing, and then showed it again looking like cooked scrambled egg - I think they must have cheated and done it on the hob. ROFL!

I was wondering if I could maybe buy a little dishy thing by itself and thus try it on my Waring grill... but I dunno.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Here are other lower carb bread options

http://www.hi-lo-bread.co.uk/ from Sainsburys (England only)

http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/ from Waitrose (not all branches)

http://www.burgenbread.com/breads/soya-linseed/ from most supermarkets

Ooooh! I didn't even know there were such things! Thank you very much, I'll hunt those up next time I'm shopping. On my list now.

I particularly like the sound of the 1st two - especially the Waitrose one, a) it has sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in it and b) you can get it from Ocado, I've ordered from them once before! Brill!

Last edited by a moderator: