What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Breakfast: Nothing (just black coffee) I'm trying to work out why I find it necessary to eat breakfast while on this 800 Calorie Blood Sugar Diet - when I don't like eating breakfast. Madness.

Lunch: Leftover roast lamb and mushroom curry with Naked (fake) rice.

Dinner: Baked Mediterranean veg. (courgette, peppers, fennel, aubergine, and cherry tomatoes) with some feta cheese. (Made enough for three meals.) Lambs lettuce.

Supper: 20g M&S Intense Chocolate.

Reactions: 7 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
B - Carob 9 bar, L - Lidl high protein roll ( first one, omg good! ) 2 rashers of bacon and an egg, D - I am going to do a Bolognese with courgette spaghetti then raspberries and cream ( Im sorry I forget who mentioned that on here before but thank you and you have started me on a proper addiction lol ) S - Tangerine, Apple, Nuts

Reactions: 3 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
OMG...forgot to mention, I have been having a single square of Lindt 70% dark chocolate when I watch TV in the evening...well yesterday when I was shopping i found the Lindt 90% and was so chuffed Id got it. Tried to nibble on it last night, the significant word there was 'tried' oh dear, I would rather have nothing, it tastes like death, do you guys ever acquire a taste for that stuff? Back to 70% for me, although my DN told me today that 1 or 2 squares of any chocolate isn't enough to cause an issue. Will still stick to the 70% though for now, at least until my BG is regulated x

Reactions: 13 people

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: raspberries, yogurt, cream, dried goji berries and milled flaxseed, cup of tea.
L: beef, cabbage, onion, broccoli all stir fried, actimel drink.
D: chicken and avocado.
S: water, almonds.

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG...forgot to mention, I have been having a single square of Lindt 70% dark chocolate when I watch TV in the evening...well yesterday when I was shopping i found the Lindt 90% and was so chuffed Id got it. Tried to nibble on it last night, the significant word there was 'tried' oh dear, I would rather have nothing, it tastes like death, do you guys ever acquire a taste for that stuff? Back to 70% for me, although my DN told me today that 1 or 2 squares of any chocolate isn't enough to cause an issue. Will still stick to the 70% though for now, at least until my BG is regulated x

You could "use up" the 90% chocolate by grating it over yoghurt, rasps with cream or whatever. I'm not a chocolate person, but it just adds a bit of additional texture to either of those things.

Reactions: 11 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody
B. Raspberries and cream

L. Mini bel cheese

D. Sirloin steak with Mediterranean vegetables.
I may need a snack later but I have some raspberries. :)

D

debrasue

@debrasue have you looked at http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/ it may be available near you - 3.8g of carbs per slice. Haven't tried it yet - but told slices are a little small but it tastes good
emoji3.png
Thanks, @PenfoldAPD - I'll give this a try, sounds good!
Have you tried Chocologic sugar-free dark chocolate? I'm not normally a big fan of dark chocolate (it's milk all the way for me), but this is actually very good and only 58 cals/2.5g carbs for four squares. (They do milk and white, too.)

Reactions: 6 people
D

debrasue

Like the sound of the pumpkin seeds and almonds, (haven't got any, but... never heard of "chocologic neopolitans" the "cracked black pepper cheddar" cheese sounds amazing - did you have that just on it's own? I do that with brie sometimes, but I've only got a tiny bit left, I love it with baby piccolo tomatoes too. Think I might line that up for today's lunch or a snack.
Turkey Bolognaise I have stashed in the freezer... what is "cheesy cauli rice"? I bought some cauli rice and I don't like it - cheesy-ness sounds like it might salvage those packs I mistakenly bought.
Hi @FranOnTheEdge! Chocologic is a new sugar-free chocolate, produced in 80g bars of either dark, milk or white chocolate, as well as boxes of individually wrapped squares of all three called Neopolitans. Tesco stock it (and probably many others) at £1.20 per 80g bar, and it's 58 cals/2.5g carbs for 4 squares. It's actually really nice chocolate!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: slice chocolate mousse cake, raspberries, clotted cream
L: 1 slice seeded bread, avocado, smoked salmon, poached egg
D: chicken, gammon & leek pie, garlic mushrooms
S: BabyBel
Off on holiday tomorrow. Trying to eat up all the food in the fridge / cupboard. Goodness only knows what I'll be eating for the next 10 days!!

Reactions: 10 people
D

debrasue

B : Coffee with whole milk
L : Chicken, tomato, cucumber, Camembert and Bfree brown seeded toast with butter (you're right @mo53 - it's nice!)
D : Tesco Veal & Parmesan burger with a St Agur melt, celeriac chips, asparagus, mushrooms & salad

I parboiled the chunky celeriac chips (yes, it's a good workout cutting them up!), then patted them dry in kitchen paper, tossed them in a little garlic and olive oil, added a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper, and baked them in a hot oven until they browned. Delicious, and only 75 cals/2.3g carbs per portion, including the oil! The texture is very like normal chips and the taste is rather like a bland parsnip. Thanks @Chook and @mo53 - this will be an excellent alternative to chips and roasties!
(Postscript - you don't need too much salt, and they do seem to shrink in the oven - my chunky chips ended up as normal chips!)

As an update on the "No-tella" (did you see what I did there? :happy:), it's actually not bad at all. I melted two 80g bars of Chocologic sugar-free dark chocolate, mixed in a jar of almond butter and a couple of teaspoons of Monin sugar-free caramel syrup, and put it in the fridge to set (but I'll keep it in the pantry now - it's a little hard when refrigerated). OK, it's not as smooth and decadent as Nutella, but it has a lovely, intense flavour, a slightly nutty texture from the almonds, and it's only 90 cals and 1.5g carbs per tbsp (as opposed to 10 cals/10.5g carbs for a tbsp of Nutella). Perfect if you need a quick choc-fix, and I suppose you could add a little cream if you wanted more of a milk chocolate hit. (I'm not going to do that, because I'd eat the entire jar in one go if I did!!) :oops:

Last edited:
D

debrasue

B: slice chocolate mousse cake, raspberries, clotted cream
L: 1 slice seeded bread, avocado, smoked salmon, poached egg
D: chicken, gammon & leek pie, garlic mushrooms
S: BabyBel
Off on holiday tomorrow. Trying to eat up all the food in the fridge / cupboard. Goodness only knows what I'll be eating for the next 10 days!!
Have a great holiday and I hope the food options are good! :)

D

debrasue

B - Carob 9 bar, L - Lidl high protein roll ( first one, omg good! ) 2 rashers of bacon and an egg, D - I am going to do a Bolognese with courgette spaghetti then raspberries and cream ( Im sorry I forget who mentioned that on here before but thank you and you have started me on a proper addiction lol ) S - Tangerine, Apple, Nuts
Those raspberries are goooood, aren't they? Juicy, intense little bombs of fruityness masked in the cream - yum! I think it was @mo53 who set me off on them, and now I'm hooked, too. :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@debrasue yes it probably was. I have them for breakfast each day. I'm trying to stop myself having another lot now. Lol:)

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
B- stock and cup of herbal tea (fasting)
L- (had stop my fasting for not feeling good anymore...so careful introduction to solids again) 2 brazil and walnuts, couple of florets of steamed broccoli with teeny bit of butter.....'stuffed!..:rolleyes:
plenty of hot drinks during day
D- teeny bit steamed broccoli and cauli, little bit brie and about spoonful of smoked mackerel...coffee and piece of dark chocolate....'stuffed again!...what a blessed feeling it is and food tastes so good again :D
evening snack- little piece of cheese and couple of nuts.....'blimey...tummy feels like I have ton of food inside!'.
Nothing now until mid-morning...I'll carry on with extended night time fasting from now on..total fasting for few days is quite uncomfortable at times:meh:

Reactions: 10 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You could "use up" the 90% chocolate by grating it over yoghurt, rasps with cream or whatever. I'm not a chocolate person, but it just adds a bit of additional texture to either of those things.

Thats not such a bad idea! Wish I had read this before I did the raspberries and cream after dinner. That said, my other half seems to not mind the taste as much as I do so I don't think Im going to have too much of an issue using it up lol x

Reactions: 6 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks, @PenfoldAPD - I'll give this a try, sounds good!

Have you tried Chocologic sugar-free dark chocolate? I'm not normally a big fan of dark chocolate (it's milk all the way for me), but this is actually very good and only 58 cals/2.5g carbs for four squares. (They do milk and white, too.)

I bought a wee box of the individually wrapped ones today at Tesco :D ...I did see the dark and milk bars too but I figured start with the box and see which I like out of there. The milk one was on offer for 60p for a large bar btw! x

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a typical day:

Bopped the alarm in my sleep, and slept in for an extra hour :banghead:
No time to even make a coffee to take with me before my first appt (8.30am) so...

B: MacDonalds drive through latte and a naked double sausage egg thing
L: 15 Ikea meatballs and 6 chips + one of their salmon salad starters while i watched Mr B eat his meatballs and mash, the rest of my chips and a huge slice of apple pie.
D: cold chicken, green beans, baby corn and broccoli

I'm craving carbs, so obviously blew my personal carb tolerance out of the water today. :mad:
Will splat the vile things with a LC hot choc in a few mins.
It will also help with the dehydration.
It is sooooo difficult to drink enough when away from home.

Reactions: 2 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Those raspberries are goooood, aren't they? Juicy, intense little bombs of fruityness masked in the cream - yum! I think it was @mo53 who set me off on them, and now I'm hooked, too. :)

Yep not long finished some, I whisk them together with squirty cream and makes it lovely and fluffy like a raspberry mousse ...then I add a wee bit more cream on the top and a raspberry to make it look pretty haha. Have to say though they take a lot longer to defrost than I thought and tonight they were still partially frozen, made the mousse very cold though so was nice ( hoping it doesn't give me a tummy ache, Im not sure why they say it has to be completely defrosted? )

Reactions: 5 people