What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
Did the 16:8 fast, so no breakfast
L: 2 boiled eggs/2 slices organic multi seed bread (sainsbury) 3 slices bacon/coffee and full fat milk
S: cherries/coconut water&diet coke
D: prawns and Swiss chard in a wholewheat wrap

Reactions: 5 people

adriangoatseye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Banks
Hello everybody
B. Raspberries and cream

L. Leftover celeriac with roasts with 2 eggs

D. Sirloin steak with Mediterranean vegetables

Now that sounds great. Raspberries and cream is a great brekkie and a nice sirloin steak for dinner. I have to be honest and say that I have never heard of celeriac until I ventured on to this forum and would not know one if it whacked me in the eye. However, I may have to check it out. I have noted that it is a type of celery. Could someone advise whether it is worth me trying it, as I particularly dislike celery.

Reactions: 6 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@adriangoatseye celeriac isn't like celery at all although it does have a smell of it. It has more than half the carbs of potato. It looks like a large, knobbly swede or turnip. I find it handy for chips or roasts when I fancy them. I have found that potato sends my blood sugars soaring.

D

debrasue

I WANT that chocochick. Fortunately, none in the house.

Try microwaving the flaxseeds on a china or glass plate or pie tin in the microwave. They come out beautifully fragrant and pop like popcorn
That sounds great - I have to try that!

Reactions: 2 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
@adriangoatseye celeriac isn't like celery at all although it does have a smell of it. It has more than half the carbs of potato. It looks like a large, knobbly swede or turnip. I find it handy for chips or roasts when I fancy them. I have found that potato sends my blood sugars soaring.
I've got my first celeriac for making chips tonight... let's see how it goes.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have no idea of where I am with this 800 Calorie Blood Sugar Diet due to going away on this semi camping trip with my work where I had little control over my food, so I am restarting the count at Day 15 which was before I got this cold and before the camping).

This morning's FBG was 6.3. :( (Not happy with this as I prefer to be in the 4s or 5s)

Breakfast: Nothing (physiotherapy @ 8.30!)

Lunch: Lamb and aubergine curry with Zero rice

Work meal: Leftover Baked Salmon with tzatziki, cucumber, spring onions and a bag of salad leaves.

Supper: 10g M&S Intense Chocolate

Reactions: 7 people
D

Deleted member 43917

B - almond smoothie with courgette & chunk of banana & ground flax seed
S - brazil nuts
L - spinach, beetroot, mushroom & tomato salad with olive oil; small apple & oats & almond milk
D - not sure - probably steamed broccoli, courgette, tomato & onion; small apple & maybe almond butter

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
B - Carob 9 bar L - McDonalds cheeseburger minus the bun ( The wee one wanted to go..ugh ) D - A sirloin with courgettes, peppers, tomatoes, red onion and mushrooms. Snacks a few cherries and 2 plums. ( going to have some cream and raspberries for supper! ) Edited to say after reading this forum and finding out about Lidl Protein Rolls I headed there today and picked up 4 so cannot wait to try them. Sadly Im too stuffed to fit them into my meal plan today but tomorrow morning with an egg i think!!

D

debrasue

I've got my first celeriac for making chips tonight... let's see how it goes.
Ah, great minds think alike! I'm giving this a go tomorrow too - thanks for the suggestion, @mo53. :happy:
I'm also going to try and make some "Nutella" using almond butter and Chocologic sugar-free chocolate tomorrow - I've worked out that it should be only 1.5g carbs/90 kcals per 15g tbsp (as opposed to 10.5g carbs/100 kcals for real Nutella). I'll let you know how it goes... ;)

Reactions: 9 people
D

debrasue

So far, only breakfast, but it was a stunner after a horrible evening and night, 2 eggs, a few slivers of cheese from New Zealand, some coffee with full fat acidophilous milk. Now, I have taken some wild garlic shoots from the yard and copped them in some spring water and cooked down the stems of the asparagus. Now, having brought same back up to the boil with lid on to save every precious vitamin, the tips are resting lid on to get themselves sorted without heat. Looking forward. Have some nice Irish butter
Hmmm, I have got some wild garlic growing in my garden, too, but it's never occurred to me to try eating it; I just like the look of it. I must rectify this omission! :)

Reactions: 4 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone

B raspberries and cream

L. In an Indian restaurant. 1/2 a popadom. (I couldn't resist but only ate half of one), chicken tikka starter with mini salad, garlic chilli chicken with a salad. I asked if they could do me a salad as I was not having nan or rice and they very kindly obliged. It was a set lunch menu.

d. Raspberries and cream and some water melon.:)

D

debrasue

B : Scrambled egg and toasted coconut bread, coffee with whole milk
L : Craved some fruit, so... strawberries, raspberries, melon, kiwi fruit and a quarter of an almond scone (No. 1 granddaughter came over and wanted to bake some cakes, although what she really means is "lick the bowl". I ended up with the baking and the washing-up, while she went to help plant fruit trees in the garden! Lightweight. :))
D : Cod baked in a cheese sauce on a bed of spinach, roasted tomatoes, mashed cabbage and cauliflower
Cals: 1444; Carbs 42.4g
Feels like a good, clean day!
Since there's no Lidl anywhere near me, does anyone have any thoughts on gluten-free bread? The best one I can source locally seems to be Bfree Brown Seeded Bloomer at 10g carbs per slice...

Reactions: 3 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@debrasue i get the bfree bread from Tesco. I like it and it is super toasted with pate on. It is wheat and gluten free .

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Yesterday
B - McDonalds
L - Mattessons pork sausage
D - Salmon fillet with celeriac chips.

@mo53 As someone suggested, I sprinkled the chips with paprika, tossed in olive oil and then baked. I didn't bake them long enough because some were still a little hard They didn't taste too bad and with a bit of practice I think I can make them work as a chip replacement.

Tell you what, though - celeriac is bloody hard to cut through!

Reactions: 6 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@GeoffersTaylor when I've done chips I've parboiled first. I've cut ready for chips, boiled 5mins dried then put on hot baking tray and into oven. Yes they are fun to prepare lol

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yesterday
B - McDonalds
L - Mattessons pork sausage
D - Salmon fillet with celeriac chips.

@mo53 As someone suggested, I sprinkled the chips with paprika, tossed in olive oil and then baked. I didn't bake them long enough because some were still a little hard They didn't taste too bad and with a bit of practice I think I can make them work as a chip replacement.

Tell you what, though - celeriac is bloody hard to cut through!

The best way to prep celeriac I've found is to cut it in to chip thickness discs across then use a sharp knife and trim the peel off the discs before cutting them in to chips. You probably know this but if you need to prepare them in advance they will keep from going brown if you put them in water with a good squeeze of lemon juice or some vinegar in it.

I then either parboil or (more usually) zap them in the microwave until almost soft then drain and pat dry with kitchen paper drain before drizzling with a little olive oil (sometimes flavoured) then bake in a hot oven until fully done and golden or crispy (or both).

Reactions: 7 people