Backsliding!

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

When I was first diagnosed I was so much in shock that I radically changed everything as I thought I was gonna die. Since two months ago I havent been given any follow up and have just been left to take my medication, which I do successfully with no problems, and to visit to test again in June (4 month review). Since my blood sugar has stabilised, I've gone back to eating badly and I need your help to help me get back on track. I've lost motivation coz now I don't feel like I'm dying. What is this bad food doing to my internal organs? Maybe the shock will get me back on track again?

What do you value most in life? And what do you really enjoy doing?

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi all,

When I was first diagnosed I was so much in shock that I radically changed everything as I thought I was gonna die. Since two months ago I havent been given any follow up and have just been left to take my medication, which I do successfully with no problems, and to visit to test again in June (4 month review). Since my blood sugar has stabilised, I've gone back to eating badly and I need your help to help me get back on track. I've lost motivation coz now I don't feel like I'm dying. What is this bad food doing to my internal organs? Maybe the shock will get me back on track again?
Are you testing your blood sugars daily. If not then get a meter test them each morning and two hours after you have eaten. The levels should alert you to what damage you are doing. If you do not test daily then you are flying blind and have no control. It is a really good start
Cheers

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Scare story: 15 years ago my brother was diagnosed Type2, he too had trouble with motivation, he also suffered from depression, and would go through regular periods of 'what the f**k, it's all ***** so why even freakin bother trying to control it?" ... 10 years ago he lost his left leg below the knee due to complications. For a while his mood improved due to the psychological help he got to deal with the amputation ... but then he slid again into old bad habits. In 2011 he suffered a massive stoke and was comatose for 3 months before the family bickering over it ended with them pulling the plug. And just for fun - now his wife and daughter when they most needed each other haven't spoken to each other since.

Not only can this can and will kill you - it'll have massive ripple effects on those you love and love you

Reactions: 4 people

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do you value most in life? And what do you really enjoy doing?

I value and enjoy helping others in a work role. But thats not enough to motivate as my other voice is saying, 'But you're not going to die, you're not even feeling unwell.'

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you testing your blood sugars daily. If not then get a meter test them each morning and two hours after you have eaten. The levels should alert you to what damage you are doing. If you do not test daily then you are flying blind and have no control. It is a really good start
Cheers

My GP told me not to. Do you think I should then?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
My GP told me not to. Do you think I should then
Yes!
I think everyone on this forum believes that you should self test and many have been told not to. If you don't you have no control. You may have to purchase yourself but others on here can advise the cheapest to get in the UK I believe it is the Codefree?

It will tell you if you are improving and will let you know what impact foods you are eating (particularly one that lift your levels) and will open your eyes and help motivate you to stay away from those poor options

I highly recommend it as I believe it is critical and give you control

Cheers

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The best thing to do with a diabetic perforating ulcer of the foot is never ever get one!!!

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I value and enjoy helping others in a work role. But thats not enough to motivate as my other voice is saying, 'But you're not going to die, you're not even feeling unwell.'

You might be right now, but if you don't get and keep things under control then you're not going to be in any fit state to work or to help anybody, not even yourself.

My sister had to have a leg amputated a few years ago and whilst it wasn't diabetes related, it totally changed her life - she had to give up working and is mainly confined to a wheel chair and is dependent on others to help her.

Your choice if you want to end up like that.

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, yes, yes! My doctor told me not too. I went for the code free meter and strips as I have to pay myself. Within a few days I found some foods were causing big spikes. The average the doctor gets every 3 or 6 months is not enough! Getting some really high readings might motivate you to want to eat right..

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
in a heartbeat, you need to know what is going on to bring a new routine into your life.

At one time you thought you were going to die and now you don't, what changed?

When I die I want it to be on my terms, as much as is possible, so preparing the way now will affect how I am going to go. I have something that needs to be actively managed.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's like someone falling in the deep end of a swimming pool and loosing the motivation to swim and save themselves.
Get a grip you are drowning in a sea of glucose save yourself. before it's too late there's no one to jump in and pull you out. you have a life to live . Live it to the fullest take control. It's up to you.

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
in a heartbeat, you need to know what is going on to bring a new routine into your life.

At one time you thought you were going to die and now you don't, what changed?

When I die I want it to be on my terms, as much as is possible, so preparing the way now will affect how I am going to go. I have something that needs to be actively managed.

Well the thing is I don't believe it now, thats whats changed. As Ive already explained. But the shock statements are helping.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the thing is I don't believe it now, thats whats changed. As Ive already explained. But the shock statements are helping.
but why? What changed your mind from "I'm dying" to "I'm not dying"? Did you actually feel any different before and after these states?
There is no doubt I felt like **** for the two to three months before I was diagnosed and I didn't know why. My DN was quite taken aback when I had absolutely no response to the news she gave me, "You're T2". I just accepted it and decided to change on the spot. Went home, did some research round here, and simply threw out or gave away anything that was carbie... missed it? not in a blink.
I have a badly autistic son and wife who has had breast cancer, another thing that does not go away. I feel I have to look after myself as well as I can because they are both going to need me for as long as they and I are together.

If you want horror stories, then I'm sure they can delivered Chapter and verse.
I do wish you well but you have to take care of yourself, for you and those close to you.

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got back from visiting husband in hospital. Another visitor,who also has type 2 but didn't believe he had to cut carbs as well as sugar was telling us he's in danger of losing a leg. His leg is apparently weeping pus and is badly infected and he's been told it is because of his diabetes. However, the medics are still pushing the eat well plate and he's listening to them. As he's already lost his sight, he can't test his own levels. It's scared me into being careful again!

Reactions: 3 people

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
but why? What changed your mind from "I'm dying" to "I'm not dying"? Did you actually feel any different before and after these states?
Yes I did, I had symptoms before and now I have none

I have a badly autistic son and wife who has had breast cancer, another thing that does not go away. I feel I have to look after myself as well as I can because they are both going to need me for as long as they and I are together.
The difference is that my children are totally independent and dont rely on me for anything. We dont live anywhere near each other so dont see one another. My husband doesnt seem to bothered about it either so none of these are motivations for me.

If you want horror stories, then I'm sure they can delivered Chapter and verse.
Its the only thing that motivates me. Sorry if that upsets everyone.

I do wish you well but you have to take care of yourself, for you and those close to you.
I have low self esteem why would I want to take care of myself? No one else would miss me either and so how is that a motivation?

Sorry if I dont fit into a neat little box

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just got back from visiting husband in hospital. Another visitor,who also has type 2 but didn't believe he had to cut carbs as well as sugar was telling us he's in danger of losing a leg. His leg is apparently weeping pus and is badly infected and he's been told it is because of his diabetes. However, the medics are still pushing the eat well plate and he's listening to them. As he's already lost his sight, he can't test his own levels. It's scared me into being careful again!

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. Was your husband very bad and did he take insulin? You see I was diagnosed after having it for about 6 months and no damage to anything. I dont have to take injections either so I'll be ok right?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
so I'll be ok right
Left to it's self it is progressive so there is no guarantee of that in fact if you do not control it you more than likely will not be OK.

All these horror stories do not just apply to others they can apply to you also.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try Google-ing "NHS Wellbeing Service *your town*" and see if you have a centre near you. I think you can self-refer or be refered by your GP. Certainly worth finding out if you have such a service available to you. We do here in Suffolk and there are ones in many areas around UK.