13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
morning anne still struggling through have been getting a tearing feeling in my hips lately so think that will be the cartilage like in my knees .
my BG are still all over the place have been as low as 2.5 to mid 4's with my FBG
Sorry to hear that Ron, we're all hoping that you will get some relief from the pain soon. Will they give you medication for the arthritis and better pain killers now, do you think? I hope so. You've had enough to bear as it is

Reactions: 4 people

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
Sorry to hear that Ron, we're all hoping that you will get some relief from the pain soon. Will they give you medication for the arthritis and better pain killers now, do you think? I hope so. You've had enough to bear as it is
my doc wont do anything else until ive seen the neurologist and they have done a full check on my spine before any treatment can be started but have confirmed it is arthritis in my hip

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my doc wont do anything else until ive seen the neurologist and they have done a full check on my spine before any treatment can be started but have confirmed it is arthritis in my hip
Hope you get an appointment soon Ron. Chin up x

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
As William says above, the GlucoRx Nexus only tests. It's a pretty basic meter and it drives me crazy if I want to check a previous reading, because - as far as I can make out - even if you only wanted to check your last reading, you have to click back through every single reading you've ever taken before you can switch the **** thing off!!!!!
Have you come across this problem too, @liam1955 ?
Oh, and the strips are expensive, too.
:grumpy:

Thank you Deb

I am going to write to my GP and plead my case that I was given my current meter recommended by the diabetic team when I went to the DAFNE course

I find my current meter ideal for me

What I have heard on here does not fill me with confidence about the switch to the GlucoRx

Reactions: 6 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you Deb

I am going to write to my GP and plead my case that I was given my current meter recommended by the diabetic team when I went to the DAFNE course

What I have heard on here does not fill me with confidence about the switch to the GlucoRx
Oops!!

I found out recently by talking with the senior partner in my GP practice that, although they have to follow NHS or Local Health Board decisions, Practices have the "last word" on prescription medications for individual patients. I'd say that it's definitely worth giving it a try and if the letter isn't successful why not book an appointment with the senior partner at your surgery?

Reactions: 5 people
S

Sable_Jan

Thank you Deb

Probably the current supplier "freebie" deal

Reactions: 3 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@debrasue - Hi. :) To turn off the GlucoRx Nexus just press and hold down the grey pad for a few seconds, and it should turn off. Can I ask did you purchase your meter? And how much are the strips to buy? Thanks, William x

Reactions: 9 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Oops!!

I found out recently by talking with the senior partner in my GP practice that, although they have to follow NHS or Local Health Board decisions, Practices have the "last word" on prescription medications for individual patients. I'd say that it's definitely worth giving it a try and if the letter isn't successful why not book an appointment with the senior partner at your surgery?

Thanks for this lizanne

Can I just say that this forum is a blessing a real tonic when you feel a bit low lots of friendly well meaning folk with oodles of good advice and support always someone on here who is a good laugh were all in the same boat HMS Diabetes and I'm delighted to be part of the crew

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I have the GlucoRX...freebie from the GP together with strips and lancets on prescription.

But....just been told " you're doing so well, I'm taking you off prescriptions for strips etc"....oh thanks Doc...haha :)

So I've just bought a Code Free off amazon which has the cheapest strips on the market. But here's my big BUT....

... Every reading is exactly 1mmol higher than my GlucoRX. I'm
Testing both concurrently...so what's that all about folks?:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

2/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 120/72, 11st 11lbs, waist 30" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have the GlucoRX...freebie from the GP together with strips and lancets on prescription.

But....just been told " you're doing so well, I'm taking you off prescriptions for strips etc"....oh thanks Doc...haha :)

So I've just bought a Code Free off amazon which has the cheapest strips on the market. But here's my big BUT....

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

2/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 120/72, 11st 11lbs, waist 30" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

I could answer your post by just saying ditto Kevin. Taken off strips and meds together, bought Codefree it reads between 1 and 1.5 points higher than my Nipro True You meter. The good thing about your being exactly 1 point higher is that you know that you are getting consistent readings from both meters. Its the HbA1c that counts and is most accurate so, depending on whether you are a glass half-full or half-empty man, you could take the GlucoRX:rolleyes: or Codefree :arghh:reading as your guide:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I could answer your post by just saying ditto Kevin. Taken off strips and meds together, bought Codefree it reads between 1 and 1.5 points higher than my Nipro True You meter. The good thing about your being exactly 1 point higher is that you know that you are getting consistent readings from both meters. Its the HbA1c that counts and is most accurate so, depending on whether you are a glass half-full or half-empty man, you could take the GlucoRX:rolleyes: or Codefree :arghh:reading as your guide:)

I am deco a glass half full. 6 weeks to next HbA1C and want it to be in diabetic resolved region....we shall see:)

4/6/16: Best BP 112/64....yeah!!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good luck with your HbA1c Kevin, I'm sure that your results will be spectacular! I actually got my strips reinstated after a consult with GP but that was because I suffer from another chronic condition which impacts on my diabetes. My strips were cancelled automatically by Patient Access when I came off meds [when I found this forum and lchf - after 10yrs of Metformin then few weeks of Gliclazide] but after a chat with the senior partner got it sorted.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
I was so naughty and I feel I confounded my impeccable blood glucose reading this morning at 7:20 ante meridian. At 9:16 ante meridian I consumed a very high-carb breakfast of 2 large hard-boiled egg sandwiches, halved diaganolly. It comprised 4 slices of Kingsmill white medium sliced bread, 3 eggs and a sprinkling of salt. My blood glucose reading two hours afterwards, at 11:16 ante meridian was 11.5 and then I hydrated myself with tap water, approximately 4-5 glasses full, and took my blood glucose again at 12:25 post meridian and it was 9.7. Silly me.

D

debrasue

@debrasue - Hi. :) To turn off the GlucoRx Nexus just press and hold down the grey pad for a few seconds, and it should turn off. Can I ask did you purchase your meter? And how much are the strips to buy? Thanks, William x
Thanks for this, William!
The meter was free, but the strips are £17.95 per pack of 50, including postage.
xx

D

debrasue

I've experienced exactly the same thing! So I just leave my Codefree downstairs for daytime testing, and my GlucoRx Nexus upstairs for my FBS and night-time readings.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@autisticwonder1970 Dear me Johnny, you know it was the bread, perhaps just two slices of bread next time? You can eat the boiled eggs though, they won't affect your blood sugar. Never mind, carry on with your previous good work and enjoy the rest of today. p.s I'm having eggs for my lunch right now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

debrasue

Thank you Deb

I think the GlucoRx is probably OK for those not on insulin, but it's not up to the task if you need to make the complex calculations necessary for injections.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've experienced exactly the same thing! So I just leave my Codefree downstairs for daytime testing, and my GlucoRx Nexus upstairs for my FBS and night-time readings.
Good idea!

D

debrasue

I was so naughty and I feel I confounded my impeccable blood glucose reading this morning at 7:20 ante meridian. At 9:16 ante meridian I consumed a very high-carb breakfast of 2 large hard-boiled egg sandwiches, halved diaganolly. It comprised 4 slices of Kingsmill white medium sliced bread, 3 eggs and a sprinkling of salt. My blood glucose reading two hours afterwards, at 11:16 ante meridian was 11.5 and then I hydrated myself with tap water, approximately 4-5 glasses full, and took my blood glucose again at 12:25 post meridian and it was 9.7. Silly me.
Oh well, it could have been worse, Johnny. And at least you know what to do to bring your BG levels down again.
Mmm, I love hard-boiled eggs..... I think I may copy you and have some for my lunch, but perhaps I'll just have them with some lettuce and mayo, so that I can save a few carbs for my dinner tonight.
Keep winning, Johnny!
Hugs

Reactions: 5 people