What does the UK leaving the EU mean for us?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
True, but the damage has been done. I voted remain but I am not signing the petition for a second referendum. We have to make Brexit work now.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If there were a second referendum it would be democracy out of the window and no-one wants that. I would envisage a revolution.
Brexit will happen when the dust settles, so every single one of us must do our bit to make it work. Including Nicola Sturgeon and Sinn Fein, in my opinion.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I said to my friends in 2002. Our country is heading for civil war.
2 different opinions. Here we are.
Our country is divided.
Thankyou politicians for your imput.
Democracy should hold back a civil war.
Only if it is just.

I knew it was going to be close and didnt expect normally none voters to vote. They made the difference.
Democracy entitles all to vote not just politically interested ones.
When the common man votes then change is needed.
We all decide the UKs future not just the strong. Every voice is important.
Arrogance causes mistakes.

Reactions: 4 people

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No one in this current government wants to issue clause 50. The leave campaigners wanted Cameron to issue it and take the flack for it and deal with all the potential headaches. However, he’s refused to do that, announced his resignation and said it's up to his successor. Johnson is effectively finished as is Gove and the rest. They had no actual plan and are fudging the issue, Johnson has said there's no hurry meaning never, and Gove suggested informal negotiations, meaning he would rather avoid clause 50. Exiting the EU may never happen, because whoever takes over from Cameron will not want to deal with exit themselves, they wanted Cameron to do that so they can shaft him over it after it goes wrong. Johnson, Gove and IDS all gambled on this, as did Cameron, and the conservative party my just implode over it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever the fallout we have to leave now! The public has spoken and there is no way on earth we can stay. If we try to remain now then the other EU countries will make it difficult for us.

We have no leaders who can lead the country through this mess. The ones who are capable are of the Remain camp.

You are so right...and that's because Remain was the only sensible vote.

Hey ho, I'm going to do what folks on another related thread have said....look after me and mine, my family, we'll be fine. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No one in this current government wants to issue clause 50. The leave campaigners wanted Cameron to issue it and take the flack for it and deal with all the potential headaches. However, he’s refused to do that, announced his resignation and said it's up to his successor. Johnson is effectively finished as is Gove and the rest. They had no actual plan and are fudging the issue, Johnson has said there's no hurry meaning never, and Gove suggested informal negotiations, meaning he would rather avoid clause 50. Exiting the EU may never happen, because whoever takes over from Cameron will not want to deal with exit themselves, they wanted Cameron to do that so they can shaft him over it after it goes wrong. Johnson, Gove and IDS all gambled on this, as did Cameron, and the conservative party my just implode over it.

A woman will do it.
Watch!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I got told a long time ago that in the city when a company was in severe dire straights they called in a woman to sort out the sh*t.
Let's see?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Margaret Thatcher was studied by the conservatives. Even Tony Blair took advice from her.
Let's see what happens, but don't be surprised.

lindisfel

Expert
I voted remain because I thought it was in the best interested of the ordinary working man. I have been retired 17 years and I have a decent pension. The public were so worked up by the rhetoric and the gutter press on the issue of immigration it swung the vote. I think BBC reporting has lot to answer for. When business interest adopt the single market and we still pay in and we have the same amount of European immigration the duped voters for will be very upset.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Step forward Theresa May.

She is my best guess. She has been grooming herself throughout this and the previous parliament, and has kept her head down during the referendum campaign. Let's hope she bought one of Margaret Thatchers handbags. She will need it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
She is my best guess. She has been grooming herself throughout this and the previous parliament, and has kept her head down during the referendum campaign. Let's hope she bought one of Margaret Thatchers handbags. She will need it.

Yes she has been quiet, was just saying this to my wife this morning when discussing possible candidates for the job.

Corbyn will be away in the next couple of days, think Andy Burnham will be the likely choice among the Labour ranks.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are where we are, a majority decided. What is essential now is we get someone with guts and b*lls to lead us, love or loathe her but I'd feel better if we could have Maggie to lead us. Unfortunately that ain't gonna happen but fingers crossed Maggie 2 is serving customers in a shop right now. Sorry if you disliked Maggie, I didn't agree with everything she did but could not fault her resilience

Reactions: 2 people

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A woman will do it.
Watch!
I know you're trying to be light-hearted, but all of the Tory government knows exactly what issuing article 50 will entail, and how much they will have to deal with, so none if them, even the women want to do it! The whole lot if them have already backtracked on their referendum pledges, they have even said they will not be able to control immigration and there will be no extra funds for the NHS! Not even woman wants to deal with the fallout from all of that!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I was being light hearted because I don't really have time for politics. I agree with your points. As I see it politicians are not qualified to do the job because no one really knows what the job is, they are happy to have the glory and bask in it, but blame all and sundry except themselves when the s*it hits the fan. No idea what the 50 article thing is, as I said politics is not my thing. I hope that eventually we can all be happy with whatever happens to us.

Reactions: 2 people